Reputation and content count

• RMweb Gold

Many pre-change forum posts (including recent ones) have clearly lost a lot of "reactions" - but they do have some reactions.  A theory: Could it be that only the “thumbs up” reactions have been carried over, whereas the others (craftmanship, funny, informative etc) have not?

Whether that then affects the total score is a different matter. So far, I think we’ve assumed that the new software lumped all past reactions into the “thumbs up” category. Maybe it has – but then again maybe it hasn’t?

Edit: Just compared the reactions between identical forum posts on the wayback machine and the current version of RMweb. Some posts have obviously been reacted to since they were logged by the wayback machine, but looking at obscure old posts that are unlikey to have attracted further reactions, it does seem that it's the non-thumbs up reactions that are missing.

Edited by Mikkel
  • Like 1

• Moderators
7 hours ago, Mikkel said:

Many pre-change forum posts (including recent ones) have clearly lost a lot of "reactions" - but they do have some reactions.  A theory: Could it be that only the “thumbs up” reactions have been carried over, whereas the others (craftmanship, funny, informative etc) have not?

Whether that then affects the total score is a different matter. So far, I think we’ve assumed that the new software lumped all past reactions into the “thumbs up” category. Maybe it has – but then again maybe it hasn’t?

Edit: Just compared the reactions between identical forum posts on the wayback machine and the current version of RMweb. Some posts have obviously been reacted to since they were logged by the wayback machine, but looking at obscure old posts that are unlikey to have attracted further reactions, it does seem that it's the non-thumbs up reactions that are missing.

I think you're right Mikkel. I can't even think what my figure was before the changes anyway.

• Agree 2

4 hours ago, Clive Mortimore said:

Does it matter? Sure it is nice to get an agree on a subject, or a like on my modelling but this is a model railway forum not a popularity contest.

I agree, I'm not that bothered, but it is useful as a guide to ascertain the quality and experience of any advice you may be given.

Someone with a low post count may be new to the hobby, have little MR experience (is here looking for some) but highly experienced in their professional field. So I can make my own judgement on how much value I want to give to any advice they offer, especially if it conflicts with another RMWebber with a high reputation / high post count.

BTW, @AY Modmy post count is low, should be approx 180 with a matching reputation IIRC. (So by my principles above, anyone can choose to dismiss my posts based on my limited experience ;)).

Edited by Damo666
Typo
  • Like 2

• Moderators
6 minutes ago, Damo666 said:

BTW, @AY Modmy post count is low, should be approx 180 with a matching reputation IIRC.

I've just had the system recount your content and it's come out the same as before; have you had any posts go missing?

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, AY Mod said:

I've just had the system recount your content and it's come out the same as before; have you had any posts go missing?

Thanks AY for the quick reply. I'm happy with your post count. I honestly don't know (nor was I paying any full attention to) my post count, I just knew I passed the 150 mark some time ago. Your accurate 169 recount against my approx 180 memory looks perfect. I do recall that my reps were about matching, suggesting that the value of my contributions were about equally matched to my posts.

Edited by Damo666

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Damo666 said:

I agree, I'm not that bothered, but it is useful as a guide to ascertain the quality and experience of any advice you may be given.

Someone with a low post count may be new to the hobby, have little MR experience (is here looking for some) but highly experienced in their professional field. So I can make my own judgement on how much value I want to give to any advice they offer, especially if it conflicts with another RMWebber with a high reputation / high post count.

BTW, @AY Modmy post count is low, should be approx 180 with a matching reputation IIRC. (So by my principles above, anyone can choose to dismiss my posts based on my limited experience ;)).

Hi Damo

I have not viewed it like that before.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Clive Mortimore said:

Does it matter? Sure it is nice to get an agree on a subject, or a like on my modelling but this is a model railway forum not a popularity contest.

Hi Clive,

It matters a lot if you like a release of easy dopamine to brighten your life along with the unfortunate side effect that you may become addicted to social media sites such as RMWeb with out realising the reason why.

I deliberately did not press the agree button as I would not wish to cause you to have any sort of chemical imbalance affecting your brains's functioning capacity or for you to suffer any sort of neurosis should you not get any sort of response depriving you of your dopamine hit.

Tricky one.

Gibbo.

PS, I need to get out more !!!!

• Funny 2

• RMweb Premium

I thought the reputation thing was new, never noticed it before! 

Edit: But obviously I'm going to say that mine's too low, by some. :)

Edit edit: actually it's really is a bit low, sure I've had more than 1 funny rating since ever, no idea by how much, so no worries!

Edited by njee20

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Gibbo675 said:

Hi Clive,

It matters a lot if you like a release of easy dopamine to brighten your life along with the unfortunate side effect that you may become addicted to social media sites such as RMWeb with out realising the reason why.

I deliberately did not press the agree button as I would not wish to cause you to have any sort of chemical imbalance affecting your brains's functioning capacity or for you to suffer any sort of neurosis should you not get any sort of response depriving you of your dopamine hit.

Tricky one.

Gibbo.

PS, I need to get out more !!!!

Hi Gibbo

Ah! Dopamine, I use to administer it to patients with Parkinson's.

As I said earlier it is nice to see a like or an agree but do we need an overall rating system? We are all railway modellers.

• Agree 1

3 hours ago, Damo666 said:

A high rating has nothing to do with a person's ability to offer sensible advice.

For example, you go to a show, take photos of other peoples layouts and post them on RMweb. You get lots of "Likes", perhaps because you took some good photos with your iPhone, but not because you had any input into the modelling on display. So your "rating" is in no way indicative of your modelling experience and skill.

It is better to look at the work a person has produced and decide whether that shows them to be a good modeller in that particular field and one whose advice you would accept.

• Agree 2