DCC concepts ADS-8sx alternatives?

Michaelaface

• RMweb Gold

I am in need of an ads8sx to complete my set up. The main reason i went for the SX version is the ability for led lighting and memory. Does the DR4018 have that capability or would i need another box of tricks?

• RMweb Gold

It's very disappointing to hear DCC Concepts are having manufacturing difficulties and have no idea when the units will be available again.

I'm also going to be looking to expand the number ads8sx units I have as I'm about to start on a new layout.  Unfortunately so far I have not been able to source an alternative that can do what the DCC Concepts units can do.  

The DR4018 can switch 8 points which is great but it has no means to also switch the frog polarity, illuminate LED's for indication or connect a switch for manual control of the points.  I am using seep points but I don't want to rely on the built in switch on the solenoid for the frog polarity.

Anyone know of a unit that can switch a solenoid motor and switch the frog polarity?

Surely you want to use a switch attached to the motor or the actually point to ensure that it is actually synced with the movement of the point? Otherwise you could have the polarity changed out of sync with the throw and short circuits.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

I tend to use either the peco switch attached to point of the Gaugemaster DCC 80 auto frog. The benefit for me using the ADS  is the Led for showing which way the point is set and has memory. The older FX series didnt have the memory function.

I might sell my 3 SX's and go back to analogue control for the points using point indication circuit boards from micro miniatures!!

2 hours ago, ianLMS said:

I tend to use either the peco switch attached to point of the Gaugemaster DCC 80 auto frog. The benefit for me using the ADS  is the Led for showing which way the point is set and has memory. The older FX series didnt have the memory function.

I might sell my 3 SX's and go back to analogue control for the points using point indication circuit boards from micro miniatures!!

I would be in the market for at least one of them! :D

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I needed one more decoder port so plumped for a Train-Tech item in the absence of ADS-SX units. Very competent, works well but no frog power, LED connections etc. and expensive compared to the DCC Concepts product.

• 3 months later...
  • RMweb Premium
21 minutes ago, ianLMS said:

Has anyone had experience using the BlockSignalling PPI5? This might solve my problem if i link it up to a decoder such as the 8FX. These apparently have memory which the 8FX's lack. 

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https://www.ebay.co.uk/ulk/itm/400424925006

You could parallel a GM500 with the motor output from a ADS-FX

• RMweb Gold

Thank you for that.

Question: Will the GM500 work with a DCC input as the power source? I understand the Blocksignalling one is designed to work alongside DCC accessory decoders wheras the GM500 instructions don't specify, just states AC as the power source. 

• RMweb Premium

It is a latching relay unit

The power is derived from the two outputs of the ADS to change the two relay contacts on 1-3 and 4/6.

Edited by newbryford

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, JohnDMJ said:

Looks interesting, especially the ability to store 5 routes with unique addresses but only if you can individually change each address and they don’t program sequentially automatically. I was thinking along the lines of having more than one of these devices controlling a fiddle yard with the same  address setting a route via more than one of these decoders.

However, one of the advantages of the DCCconcepts decoder,  for me, is its ability to change the frog polarity, although I appreciate that there are many other ways to do this.

On 30/11/2019 at 11:10, traction said:

Hi Gentlemen,

I apologise for putting this here but thought it would be seen better by those who actually want it.

To those that are requiring a DCC concepts ADS-8SX

I have one that is surplus to requirements, It was fitted to a layout and used a couple of times while the layout was being built, I then dismantled the layout and its not been used since.

I don't have the blister pack it came in, but I do have the instructions

1376052625_DCCconceptsADS-8sx.JPG.2b927a9a843540247e99a5f8bc4f2b35.JPG

I bought it new from Hattons for £68 in Nov 2019
Price is £60 + P&P which will be next day special delivery upto 500g which is £7.40

Payment by Paypal

Drop me a PM if you're interested.

Cheers

Ian

Thanks, but no thanks. Will await them to come back in to stock, been advised three weeks is the current lead time. I'll get a warranty with them then.  

• 2 weeks later...

I am having big problems with my bank of four ADS-8sx  decoders purchased some 5 years ago.  Some individual decoders on each eight block are still working.  On the faulty units I have replaced the capacitors (£4 for 10 RS Components) and this got a couple back.  Some of the rest are either dead or pulsing the turnout continually in one direction.  I am disgusted with DCC Concepts who after promising new ones available in September, then November then Christmas are now giving February 2020 as a possible.  DCC Train automation tell me that the DR 4015 will not switch solenoid motors especially two together.  Hornby and ESU likewise.  A capacitor discharge unit as part of the decoder is a must.

It would be a lot of work under the table to change the motors for digital servo motors and for me I would be looking at around £500 and only the DCC Concepts offering seems to have that beautifully simple addressing function.  Also I like that reassuring click that solenoid motors provide as some turnouts are a distance from my laptop control station and the state can only be seen on screen.

So I am looking hard at the Seep GMC-PM10D price £19.95 at Gaugemaster.  Still an expensive option and much work but I keep the simple addressing function, they will change two turnouts simultaneously I keep that reassuring click as they change.  I could then remove the DCC decoders get the blowtorch on them and bury them in the garden while promising never to use the words DCC Concepts again.  

I will report further.

Sorry to hear that Nigel, got to say that I have some quite old ADS-8sx units, probably way more than five years old, and not had any problems with them. Other than, of course, that I couldn't get any more when I extended the layout. I tried many others, and none would do the job as well as the DCC Concepts ones, and getting irritated by the lack of supply, I went down the Tortoise and Cobalt route with DCC Concepts other 8-way decoders, which convinced me to move away from solenoids for new modules.  Which was a good move, and I now have loads of auxiliary outputs to switch all manner of goodies such as signalling etc., and little diodes (signals?), or your PC,  that show which route has been set, even if you cannot hear the satisfying click of the solenoid. 

I think, that the cessation of supply is a peculiarly Chinese thing?  We have had difficulties before when importing from China direct from manufacturers. So I cannot really blame DCC Concepts. But, the answer must be:  bring manufacturing back to the UK !!!    There is a company in Margate with loadsa space. They made noises about doing that not long ago, I wonder if that has transpired into anything?

Interesting reply Andy.  Could this mean you have some 2nd hand ADS8-sx units for sale???

Take your point about additional outputs for signals.  The seep does have LED outputs but the solution is as pricey as the 'Concepts' Digital servo solution.

Just looked at the Train Tech PC200 with Capacitor Discharge on board.  Much cheaper at £45 for a 4 output unit but no additional outputs.

Even the 'Concepts' digital seem to be out of stock until new year.  Frustration indeed.  

Also I guess the decoders you now use are DCC's AD8-sx instead of ADS8-sx??

• RMweb Gold

Hi Nigel,

Have you looked at the Team Digital SMD84?

It will do the easy addressing but it's also quite a useful but of kit that can be programmed to do routes etc.

Has a built in CDU as well.

I have two of the SMD82 units, the only difference being the Loconet support.

They will operate two solenoid from one output!

Might be worth looking at?

https://www.digitrains.co.uk/shop-by-brand/team-digital/smd84.html

Above is a link to Digitrains as they have some in stock.

http://www.teamdigital1.com/prod_catalogue/smd84_product/smd84.html

The above is a link to the Team Digital web site where you can download the manual.

Some of it looks daunting at first but it can be easy or more complicated to set up depending on what you want it to do.

Just a thought.

Cheers

Ian

18 hours ago, nigeltaylor said:

Interesting reply Andy.  Could this mean you have some 2nd hand ADS8-sx units for sale???

Take your point about additional outputs for signals.  The seep does have LED outputs but the solution is as pricey as the 'Concepts' Digital servo solution.

Just looked at the Train Tech PC200 with Capacitor Discharge on board.  Much cheaper at £45 for a 4 output unit but no additional outputs.

Even the 'Concepts' digital seem to be out of stock until new year.  Frustration indeed.  

Also I guess the decoders you now use are DCC's AD8-sx instead of ADS8-sx??