Adlestrop

Stubby47

Great idea!  I think I have the very thing; a cut down Lionel platform that might make the basic 'building', which can be set on the 'English side' of the layout.  Consideration should be given that this is a toy train layout so won't be over detailed, but I like the idea and should look good with my GW and LMS trains passing by.

Brian.

• RMweb Gold
8 minutes ago, brianusa said:

Great idea!  I think I have the very thing; a cut down Lionel platform that might make the basic 'building', which can be set on the 'English side' of the layout.  Consideration should be given that this is a toy train layout so won't be over detailed, but I like the idea and should look good with my GW and LMS trains passing by.

Brian.

Hi Brian, this got me confused - have you by chance posted in the wrong  thread?

4 hours ago, Stubby47 said:

Given that the poem was written about a remembered rail trip on 24th June, 1914, and the line past Adlestrop was GWR, what sort of coach window would you have expected to see (through) ?

Most likely a Toplight:

224113598_Fig439-6597E.891911.jpg.57271f03ee9630e57477884a4cf168fe.jpg

595679960_Fig440-6597E.891911.jpg.41b72e2d63cf862cbead2e9c1712c4cb.jpg

Or perhaps a Clere...

PA094372

The latter photo is from the Attendants' compartment of 9044 that's at Bodmin AFAIK. The upholstery isn't correct for 1914 though.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Gold

Ballast & a painted fence.

Yes, the ballast is a mess the scenic cement glue pulled the stones all over the place. A second attempt will be made once it's dry.

And the fence is deliberately not pristine either.

20190220_201044.jpg.7a3fad8c960d9ccd37090a73cfb10b2d.jpg

• Like 2
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

• RMweb Gold

I like all this, Mr Stubberly, I think it's rather inspired and almost verging on Art, but I would like to express the view that the half track looks slightly odd to me and I perhaps would have preferred a complete section with both rails.

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

Fear not, My Captain, for the missing rail will become invisible (i.e. even more missing), once the carriage window is installed.

Plus, it didn't fit in the 6" base.

20190301_134055.jpg.0c4b03e96f9fe260926f09f2b2f87fa8.jpg

Edited to add quick lash-up version to explain what I mean.  The proper-job version will be much prettier, and the right size.

Edited by Stubby47
  • Like 8
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

• RMweb Gold
On 20/02/2019 at 21:15, Stubby47 said:

And the fence is deliberately not pristine either.

Yeah, right! :jester:

Looks great so far Stu, especially that last shot. I suppose blocking off the view to the sides will be difficult, but that's the same for most cakeboxes I suppose. Personally I don't mind.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

I'm intending to curve the backscene round the sides, at least as far as the fence.

I need to experiment with the size of the window opening to get the best view. Too big and the narrowness is exposed, too narrow and the whole diorama is not visible.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

The last weeked...

Just need to add the platform running in board and then a load of bushes behind the fence and a sky backscene. 

The window frame will be a cardboard mask, rather than a detailed interior.

Then take the required photos and it's done.

Phew!

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 2