Model Rail #258 March 2019

grahame

The latest 'Model Rail' magazine is now out and available.

• Two feature layouts fantasy Highland and Ledleigh Depot
  • A whole host of 'how to' workbench projects including making a goods yard, container crane, retro wagon kit, and an urban street
  • Quite a few reviews - mainly steam locos
  • 'Skills station' part 1 guide to airbrushing
  • Masterclass on the class Z
  • Plus all the usual regulars

It's an interesting, informative and eclectic mix making it a good read although the paper quality is still poor and no usual plan/layout suggestions from Paul Lunn. 

G

• RMweb Premium

Hmm might look this one out as I was given an airbrush and compressor for Christmas, mainly for my model airliners .   Might be a useful guide . Then again I think Railway Modeler is about due too .  I'll have a look see. Thanks for the heads up

Hi Folks,  I write for Model Rail almost every month, there occasional gaps, usually when I'm doing a bookazine, on holiday and the like.  Although there wasn't a plan feature this month there'll be one next time out.  Hope this helps, kind regards Paul

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

I've bought this edition specifically for the 'fantasy Highland' article on Meanach. Very impressed with the whole layout and Mr. Nevard's pictures.

Have to say I'm slightly disappointed that the goods yard article promotes the Cooper Craft weighbridge hut, with the website prominent in the shopping list. Given several discussions around his inability to supply, but willingness to take money through the website and not refund, I would not publicise his details.

1 hour ago, Ramblin Rich said:

I've bought this edition specifically for the 'fantasy Highland' article on Meanach. Very impressed with the whole layout and Mr. Nevard's pictures.

Have to say I'm slightly disappointed that the goods yard article promotes the Cooper Craft weighbridge hut, with the website prominent in the shopping list. Given several discussions around his inability to supply, but willingness to take money through the website and not refund, I would not publicise his details.

I suspect that the writer was unaware of that situation. It may not be well known outside of RMweb. (CJL)

I agree re Coopercraft. I am not in favour of hounding suppliers etc, because their failings can have a variety of causes, and those moaning may not be objective. But I think that there is enough in the public domain to suggest that in this case active promotion is not appropriate. You would have thought that the MR editorial team would be sufficiently savvy about this.

But as some one who has only been aware of MR comparatively recently I think that it is excellent value for money.

• Agree 1

On 27/02/2019 at 22:13, Pteremy said:

I agree re Coopercraft. I am not in favour of hounding suppliers etc, because their failings can have a variety of causes, and those moaning may not be objective. But I think that there is enough in the public domain to suggest that in this case active promotion is not appropriate. You would have thought that the MR editorial team would be sufficiently savvy about this.

But as some one who has only been aware of MR comparatively recently I think that it is excellent value for money.

Re: Coopercraft, see my response a couple of posts above. (CJL)

On 13/02/2019 at 07:55, grahame said:
On 28/02/2019 at 00:16, hoovered said:

I looked at it in WHSmiths, but did not buy it because of the very poor  paper quality,

the paper quality is still poor

G

I have previously written twice to Model Rail about the paper quality.

The reason they gave is because it is part of Bauer the paper quality is governed by the publishers.  Which I do understand.

But as far as I am concerned Bauer should improve the quality of the paper for those of their titles that customers are likely to want to keep - I bought every single copy of Model Rail since issue one in 1997 and enjoy looking back at articles in previous issues, helped by the very useful index on the UK Model Shop directory site http://www.ukmodelshops.co.uk/ModelRail

But a couple of years ago I gave up buying Model Rail every month - the paper was getting worse and worse - all wavy and often even the print was out of focus. My wife's weekly £1 throwaway magazine Bella (which comes out of the same stable) was presented better!

Model Rail articles are well written and photos are good. Full marks for content; the printing lets it all down.

So Bauer - with your huge buying power please up the paper quality.  Those four lads that put it together deserve better.  

Edited by cravensdmufan
Spelling

Chris - I did see it and it felt a bit weak. I would expect issues of legitimate concern to be shared beyond the confines of RMweb (in a classic venn diagram, overlapping areas of interest, sort of way).  Don't get me wrong. I don't expect MR to write about them (unless they actually become news). But I would expect a leading Magazine in the hobby to be aware of them, and to inform its contributors accordingly.

• Agree 1

19 hours ago, Pteremy said:

Chris - I did see it and it felt a bit weak. I would expect issues of legitimate concern to be shared beyond the confines of RMweb (in a classic venn diagram, overlapping areas of interest, sort of way).  Don't get me wrong. I don't expect MR to write about them (unless they actually become news). But I would expect a leading Magazine in the hobby to be aware of them, and to inform its contributors accordingly.

They are aware now. I had certainly seen the comments on RMweb and might have been wary if I had seen the page in question, but I would hesitate to take any action based purely on comments on an internet forum. To be fair, if we avoided mentioning every supplier about whom someone on RMweb had complained, we would not be mentioning any suppliers at all! I suspect the author had probably had the item in question 'in stock' for a long time and would have no reason to suspect there would be any problem in using it or mentioning it. Whilst it is the editorial prerogative to decide what appears in the magazine by way of information, there has to be a point at which the editorial team become aware of an 'issue'. Where Coopercraft is concerned, that point was yesterday (March 1) when I advised them of the comments I had seen here. It is not within my remit to do any more than that, whether or not it sounds 'a bit weak'. (CJL)

• Friendly/supportive 1

• 4 weeks later...