Railway Operating Division (ROD) - RTR Re-Numbering Projects

SDJR7F88

11 hours ago, PannierTanker14 said:

The finished result looks brilliant! Great work!

1 hour ago, Adrian Stevenson said:

Nice work Callum!

Thanks ever so much! Really pleased with how it's coming together, will hopefully get some video up of the sound in action soon :)

• Like 2

The first installment of a new series! Taking a look behind the scenes at some of the modelling projects I currently have on my Workbench.
In this episode, we start by taking a closer look at two locomotive projects that are currently underway. These two projects, aim to recreate two long lost WW1 Railway Operating Division (ROD) Baldwin Tank Engines in model form, using only a handful of pictures of the locomotives in service. One project is a 3D Printed Kit-Bash, while the other is based on a heavily modified Ready to Run Model. See my link below for more information on the kit's and sound decoders used. 
We also take a closer at some of my recent ROD renumbering project, as well a number of DCC Sound installations. 
Hope you enjoy!

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

ROD's on Shed!
Just some of the growing Railway Operating Division fleet awaiting their next duty. 
From Left to Right;
ROD 2-8-0 ROD 1706
NER T1 0-8-0 ROD 939
ROD 2-8-0 ROD 1918
GER Y14 0-6-0 ROD 534

ROD 2-8-0 ROD 1918 has just been fitted with a special new sound file from Wheeltapper DCC Sound! A full video showing her in action will be coming soon!

Wheeltapper DCC Sound 
http://www.wheeltappersdccsounds.co.uk/

IMG_20191015_150705-01.jpeg

IMG_20191015_150741-01.jpeg

• Like 3

A short running session featuring the all new Bachmann ROD 2-8-0, ROD 1918 in Railway Operating Division Black, fitted with Wheeltappers Digital Sound.
The model has be fitted with a ESU LokSound V5 Sound Decoder, with Sugar Cube Speaker, and features the latest ROD 2-8-0 Sound File from Wheeltappers Digital Sound, with Westinghouse Pump.
Here we see the ROD 1918 on a quick test run, backing onto short supply train, before heading off to the front. 
Sound List;
F0 Lights On/Off. (If fitted)
F1 Sound On/Off. (Fade Sound while Driving)
F2 Whistle 1
F3 Whistle 2
F4 Uncoupling Sounds / Buffer Clash
F5 Loco Active Brake Application (CV179 Increases/Decreases Brake Application)
F6 Wheel Slip (Not on all Projects).  
F7 Injector.  (Latching)
F8 Automatic Uncoupling.  
F9 Flange Squeal (Speed Dependant)
F10 Despatch Whistle.
F11 Wagon Buffer Clash & Starting/Stopping noises.
F12 Coal Shovelling On/Off. (Latching + Aux 1 Firebox Glow)
F13 Tender Water Filling.  (Latching)
F14 Safety Valves. (Latching)
F15 Cylinder Drain Cocks On/Off (Works at Low Speed).
F16 Heavy Load Starting Mode. (Latching)
F17 Shunting Mode. (Switch between Light & Heavy chuffs)
F18 Detonators. (Alternate)
F19 Random Sounds On/Off
F20 Aux 2
F21 AWS Bell
F22 AWS Horn (Slows loco down)
F23 Coach Door Slams (Alternate/Latching)
F24 Wheel Tapper (Latching)
F25 Westinghouse Pump 

Hope you enjoy!

Well, it's been one of those days today... Nothing seemed to go right, but after a lot of difficulty I think I finally got there. 
Crew (me and my grandfather) and coal added, and the cab roof fitted. 
Having some troubles with the pipework on top of the boiler, which came loose during the cab fit. It lost a bit of paint when I tried to get it back into position. What should I do? Leave it or take it off?

IMG_20191022_162719-01.jpeg

IMG_20191022_162823-01.jpeg

IMG_20191022_162726-01.jpeg

IMG_20191022_162731-01.jpeg

IMG_20191022_162750-01.jpeg

Edited by SDJR7F88
  • Like 6
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

33 minutes ago, PannierTanker14 said:

The model is so spectacular I wouldn’t notice the missing paint on the pipe.

I’d say keep them, but it’s your choice.

Thanks mate! I managed to get it back on, but only just.

• Like 1

Welcome to episode 2 of my Model Railway Workbench, taking another look behind the scenes at some of the modelling projects I'm currently working on.
In this episode, we start by taking a closer look at the recent progress on the WW1 Railway Operating Division (ROD) Baldwin 0-6-0T Build, based on a heavily modified Bachmann Porter 0-6-0T. The Model really has gone under quite the transformation since the last update, and is very much nearing completion! 
We also take a closer at some of my recent delivery of Figures and Items from W^D Models, and discuss future plans, plus the possibility of some new WW1 Layouts...
Hope you enjoy!

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

A short running session featuring my kit-bashed WW1 ROD 'Pershing' Baldwin 2-8-0, with Bachmann Value Digital Sound. 
Constructed between 1916 and 1919, 1500 Baldwin 2-8-0’s were built for use by the War Department during WW1. These locomotives, gained the title of Pershing’s named after General John J. Pershing, commander of the American Expeditionary Forces on the Western Front.
Interestingly, the locomotives also gained other nicknames, depending on they arrived. Locomotives which arrived during the conflict gained the name Pershings, ones that arrived after the Armistices, gained the name Felton and Locomotives ordered after January 10th 1919, gained the names of Slade.
After the war, a number of locomotives purchased by the French, and were converted, being classified as the 140C under the formation of the SNCF in 1937. Some of purchased locomotives were later converted into large tank engines.
Today it is believed there are 3 Pershing’s in various forms preserved today, most notably US Army 101, which is on display at the National Railroad Museum, in the USA. 
Here we see ROD "Pershing" Baldwin, ROD 1397, coming off shed, before heading a heavy supply train to the front. 
Hope you enjoy!

11 hours ago, PannierTanker14 said:

Awesome stuff! :good:
I bet they could win any war easy! :laugh:

I’ve just noticed the different colour tones on their boilers and cabs/tenders. Is this the same as the original livery? It seems strange.

Thanks mate! Oh yes!

As for the colour tone, this has been brought up before, its the paint on the metal and plastic components showing differently in the light :)  

• Informative/Useful 1

A short running session to mark Remembrance Sunday, and remember all those who have served and fallen, including the many brave men and women who served on the railways during times of conflict.  
To mark the occasion, I've put together this short running session featuring a number of clips of my 009 WW1 Trench Railway - Amiens 1918, as well as a slideshow featuring a selection of locomotives from my Railway Operating Division fleet. 
"At the going down of the Sun, we will Remember them"

• Like 2

Progress on the ROD Baldwin 0-4-0st.

Today I made the drastic step to add the firebox between the saddle and cab. This of course ment cutting the model in half! 

With the model in half, I set about creating firebox from a spare till roll from work, combined with plastic sheets. 

The rear of the saddle was covered over with another sheet of plaster card, and shaped so to fit around the motor. 

Pictures to come soon showing the test assembly. 

IMG_20191111_164628.jpg

IMG_20191111_174141.jpg

IMG_20191111_165147.jpg

IMG_20191111_174129.jpg

Edited by SDJR7F88
  • Like 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• 1 month later...

Welcome to episode 3 of my Model Railway Workbench, taking another look behind the scenes at some of the modelling projects I'm currently working on.
In this episode, we start by taking a closer look at the recent progress on both my WW1 Railway Operating Division (ROD) Baldwin Projects, including 0-6-0T Build, based on a heavily modified Bachmann Porter 0-6-0T, which is nearing completion! 
We also take a look at some of my recent Digital Sound installations, and discuss future plans and projects.
Hope you enjoy!

• Like 2

As some of you may know, I recently started a new job with Railway Modeller at Peco, down Beer, Devon!  So over the past few weeks I've been living in a hotel room, but I've brought a few modelling projects along with me to keep me occupied on an evening ;) 

Last week I got started by re-numbering a bargain Bachmann LNER Robinson O4 2-8-0 in ROD livery. She's been re-numbered in ROD 1912, depicting the livery persevered class member 63601 carried for the 100th anniversary of the end of the Great War, back last year.

I also got around to putting a number of plank wagons into W^D livery. This was a rather simple proses of just removing the big-four branding and added some transfers. However, the transfers have not been the best, and most have since fallen off. So will have to see if there's anything I can do to sort that. While I was going the wagons, I also added some W^D markers to a Fowler Ploughing engine. A number of these were sent to the front to help with the war effort, with tasks such as tree stump clearing (which I believe to of read somewhere).  

Not only that, I've also assembled a number of tanks, as well as weathered up my new Grey Minitrains Decauville Progres.

I've on just finished a assembling and painting a selection of W^D figures and 4 field guns. All being well they will take pride and place on one of my planned WW1 ROD supply trains.

Here's a few pictures of just some of my current hotel projects so far :)

IMG_20191217_210646_1-01.jpeg

IMG_20191217_212748-01.jpeg

IMG_20191205_211622-01.jpeg

IMG_20191205_204413-01.jpeg

• Like 5
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• 2 weeks later...

Tanks heading to the front! 
Finally got around to running my full rake of Bachmann Parrot Wagons. The certainly look the part in tow behind ROD 2-8-0, ROD 1918. 
Also had my kit-bashed ROD Baldwin, ROD 690 in action for shunting.

IMG_20191226_160155-02.jpeg

IMG_20191226_163040-01.jpeg

IMG_20191226_160429-01.jpeg

• Like 3