Railway Operating Division (ROD) - RTR Re-Numbering Projects

SDJR7F88

• 3 weeks later...

Welcome to episode 4 of my Model Railway Workbench, taking another look behind the scenes at some of the modelling projects I'm currently working on, from my Hotel Room in Seaton! 
In this episode, we start by taking a closer look at some of the re-numbering / re-branding projects I've been working on from my Hotel Room, including backdating a selection of wagons from Bachmann and Oxford into W^D livery, giving a Oxford Diecast Fowler Ploughing Engine a W^D makeover and renumbering a bargain Bachmann Robinson O4 into ROD livery!
Over coming months I hope to bring you more workbench videos from the Hotel, showing you some of the latest models and projects I've been working on. 
Hope you enjoy!

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
9 hours ago, Brew Up said:

Superb work, very inspirational.

Where do you get the decals from for renumbering the locos and markings for wagons?

Many thanks. 

The ROD markings are white modelling stickers off eBay. They are a near perfect match. Think they are the 8mm size :)

• 1 month later...

Hi, I've been researching the letters and numbers for some time. I've put off doing mine as I wasn't quite there with the font or text size. In terms of the test size, the ROD lettering was supposed to be 20 inches high. This is certainly stated in some of the better books such as Aves' ROD: The Railway Operating Division on the Western Front: The Royal Engineers in France and Belgium 1915-1919.

Whilst there may have been some variation, that was the Royal Engineers requirement I understand. I have calculated the font size as follows:

20 " = 508mm

Scale to 1:76.2 = 6.67mm 

Whilst there was some variation in font point over time, particularly with the old printing presses, an agreed standard was reached years ago. In metric, this is 0.3528mm per point.

6.67mm / 0.3528  gives a font point size of 18.91

There may be some variation in fonts. I did a test print and length-wise is was an exact match for the Bachmann 2-8-0 (they traced an original photograph of a ROD locomotive) but the text I used was not quite as high. 

If 20" is correct, a font size of 18.91 is the 1:76.2 scale representation.

I have added an image of where I have got to in manipulating fonts. I had some great help in finding the best font and how to apply them with waterslide transfers from the author of the build Lollipop mentions on page 1. I plan to colour match the black and grey of the locomotives when they are sprayed in Photoshop and then print out some waterslide transfers on a laser printer. Apparently they don't need a cover before applying as the inkjet versions do in order to prevent bleeding. It's impossible to say if these will look very good until I have done it. I have all the materials although there is one loco I still want to get and I have still to find a replacement or alter the Baldwin tender.

ROD Text.jpg

Edited by Model Railway Noob
Added example and info

On 26/12/2019 at 22:05, Adrian Stevenson said:

Getting paid for doing your hobby is brilliant. My other hobby is militaria and I have been doing that for a living for 5 years at Hansons auctioneers. Cannot beat it.

Cheers, Ade.

I used to collect WWI militaria and exhibit at county events. The museums service used to loan me display stands. I had quite a large to collection but sadly had to sell it to pay for a very costly divorce. I do remember how exciting it was bidding for something and being around all that history. All that I have now is my battlefield finds which I display with photographs and VR media from time to time. This tends to be Mayoral events or Royal British Legion in my area.

• Friendly/supportive 1

• 1 month later...

Finally got around to trying out my waterslide transfers but I made a US army version of the Baldwin Pershing (European spec).

The tender was a big challenge but I got close. The ROD version is almost identical but black. I replaced the couplings with Hunt couplings.

July09e.jpg

Edited by Model Railway Noob
my spelling is terrible :)
  • Like 4

2 hours ago, Model Railway Noob said:

Finally got around to trying out my waterslide transfers but I made a US army version of the Baldwin Pershing (European spec).

The tender was a big challenge but I got close. The ROD version is almost identical but black. I replaced the couplings with Hunt couplings.

July09e.jpg

Looks great! Did you just cut down the tender top? 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, SDJR7F88 said:

Looks great! Did you just cut down the tender top? 

Thank you. Hi Callum. No I searched for ages and found this tender top. It is from a Rivarossi HO locomotive. I got lucky :)

Cutting down the original would have made it too small heightwise. I did consider it though but then kept looking.

• Craftsmanship/clever 1

14 hours ago, Jollibob said:

Wow, I really like the way these models have come along since you first started this project. It makes me want to start that WW2 Egyptian desert layout that I keep meaning to start. 

Many thanks! Now that would be something. I recently got a book on WW2 locomotives, certainly some amazing and interesting locomotives sent to Egypt in there!

2 hours ago, SDJR7F88 said:

Many thanks! Now that would be something. I recently got a book on WW2 locomotives, certainly some amazing and interesting locomotives sent to Egypt in there!

It's funny you should say that. I've bought a War Department Dean Goods, a Stanier 8F to convert into a WD locomotive and some Warwells from WWII. I've got some vehicles, aircraft and RAF personnel too. When I finally build a static layout, I am going to have WWI, WWII and some 70s/80s at different parts of the layout.

• Like 2