Railway Operating Division (ROD) - RTR Re-Numbering Projects

SDJR7F88

Following the construction of my 009 Scale WW1 Trench Railway - "Amiens 1918", I've really developed an interest in the railways of the First World War, researching the men and locomotives that saw service during the conflict. The plan has been to create a follow up layout to "Amiens", featuring a section of the standard gauge network on the Western Front, or at least showcasing a Fleet of just some of the locomotives that were sent to the front. Upon researching the Railway Operating Division, and the locomotives they acquired, I was amazed how many types were shipped to the front, including LNWR G's, LBSCR E4's and GER Y14's to name a few, all of which have had there later variants modelled by Ready to Run Manufactures, which got me thinking... 

As some of you may of seen, me and my team "The Railway Video Division" managed to try out some of these ideas on Channel 5's "Great Model Railway Challenge", with our Blackadder inspired WW1 Layout, "Go Forth". Along side our WDLR track with the Bachmann Baldwin playing a star-role, we also had a number of Standard Gauge Locos to represent the ROD. This included a Bachmann Robinson O4 2-8-0 (representing a ROD 2-8-0, soon to be released by Bachmann), a Hornby J15 (representing a Y14) and a Hornby Q6 / T2 (Loosely representing a NER T1, or possible a T2 that might of been sent). All were just re-numbered with ROD Branding and given Numbers of Class mates that served on the front. Though only rough representations I was very pleased with how they turned out.

To kick off the topic, here's a link to a video of our Final Running Session with our "Great Model Railway Challenge Layout" - "Go Forth", before we dismantled it, showing all 3 of the above locomotives, as featured on the show in action, along side another one of my WW1 Projects, my Kit-Bashed WW1 Armored Train! I've also added two more links to my "Amiens 1918" topic and the Build of the Armored Train.  

Hope you find them of interest!

Amiens 1918 - WW1 Trench Railway - 009 Exhibition Layout

WW1 Armored Train - 00 Gauge - Kit Bash

The Great Model Railway Challenge - Go Forth - Final Running Session

maxresdefault.jpg

• Like 1

With the recent sells, I've managed to pick-up a few more models ready for back-dating into ROD Livery.

First-up with have a Bachmann E4, in BR Early Black. I've only been able to find one picture of one in service in ROD Livery, and from the picture it appears to be Black. However, unlike the model, it features the earlier style of safety valves. The model also has the BR Smoke Door Number Plate Modeling, however its things like this I'm willing to overlook for now. 

Second with have another Hornby J15, was really pleased with how the first one turned out and a number of followers of my WW1 Trench Railway - "Amiens 1918" in Australian and New Zealand, have called for me to model something with a Anzac connection. For this I plan to number this model ROD 911, with served with these forces.

Finally from the first picture with have another ROD 2-8-0, however this time it's the later GWR variant. Now, this model is purely going to be a bit of ROD fiction, as the GWR 3000 Class only came into existence after WW1, but at just £59 it was just to hard to pass up! I plan to create a little story behind this one being a prototype of some sort sent to the front. 

Last but not least we have Hornby new J36. Ironically, just as the posty arrived this model Hornby announced their 2019 range, which, as I'm sure some of you may of seen, features a ROD Khaki J36! Thankfully, this "Haig" will be ROD Black, and I plan to back-date it to her ROD number of 5650. From what I understand it was originally the class were going to keep their NBR numbers on the front, however they clashed with a number of other ROD Locomotives all ready in serves, so had a 5 added on the front. 

Progress on these models to follow soon! 

IMG_20190107_165835.jpg

IMG_20190107_170355.jpg

• Like 1

ROD 911 and 562 reporting for duty! 
Hornby J15 (Y14) and Bachmann E4 back dated to WW1 Railway Operating Division (ROD) Black livery. 
Both locomotives saw service in French during the conflict, hauling a mixture or troop and supply trains. 
Y14 ROD 911 was operated by the Australians around Etaples and Noyelles. While E4 ROD 562 saw service moving troops and supplies from the coast. 
Just need to add the finishing touches, and get around to adding DCC sound.

1.jpg

3.jpg

2.jpg

7.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

8.jpg

9.jpg

10.jpg

• Like 4

5 hours ago, HonestTom said:

Very nice. I've often thought the ROD would make a really interesting subject with the mix of prototypes you could run. The Dean Goods and GWR Mogul are also possible prototypes available RTR - the Mogul tends to go pretty cheap second-hand.

Many thanks! Yes, it surprising how many RTR models are out there that are perfect for backdating to this livery. Just finished my Renumbering of an Oxford Dean Goods, will be sure to post some pictures of it soon.

The first installment of a little series of videos, in which we take a closer look at a number of WW1 - Railway Operating Division (ROD) Re-Numbering projects. In this video we take a look at the wonderful Hornby J15 (Y14) 0-6-0 & Bachmann E4 0-6-2T, which have been backdated into ROD Black. Y14 ROD 911 was operated by the Australians around Etaples and Noyelles. While E4 ROD 562 saw service moving troops and supplies from the coast. Both models will hopefully received DCC Sound at a later date, before being put to us hauling a mixture of WW1 rolling stock.

Hope you enjoy!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QRDwnu5sgEE

ROD-Renumbering-J15-and-E4-.gif

• Like 1

ROD 2409 reports for duty!
Originally BR Early Black, I've backdated the model to fit in with my WW1 Fleet, and features an early variant of the Railway Operating Division (ROD) livery, with ROD marking on the tender and the running numbers still on the cabsides. 

FB_IMG_1551350292738.jpg

FB_IMG_1551350296510.jpg

FB_IMG_1551350299355.jpg

FB_IMG_1551350308809.jpg

FB_IMG_1551350311652.jpg

FB_IMG_1551350314588.jpg

The second installment of a little series of videos, in which we take a closer look at a number of WW1 - Railway Operating Division (ROD) Re-Numbering projects. 
In this video we take a look at the Oxford Rail Dean Goods, which have been backdated into ROD Black. 
Originally BR Early Black, I've backdated the model to fit in with my WW1 Fleet, and features an early variant of the Railway Operating Division (ROD) livery, with ROD marking on the tender and the running numbers still on the cabsides. 
Hope you enjoy!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AmiIW9hd9Zw

ROD-Renumbering-Dean-Goods.gif

Edited by SDJR7F88

Today's Renumbering project... LNWR G Class ROD 1634. 
A number of G's were sent to the front hauling heavy coal and supply trains. ROD 1634 served between May 11 1917 to July 17 1919, but briefly returned to Crewe for repairs in May 1918. 
The Bachmann model is of course the later G2a rebuild, with tender cab, later firebox, ect, however 1634 was rebuilt to this specification later in her career, lasting well into BR days as 49113. 
Just need to add sound and a possibility crew

FB_IMG_1551987907801.jpg

FB_IMG_1551987911174.jpg

FB_IMG_1551987914865.jpg

FB_IMG_1551987917813.jpg

FB_IMG_1551987920463.jpg

FB_IMG_1551987923052.jpg

• Like 2

A video featuring my recently renumber ROD 'Dean Goods', plus the all new Oxford Rail "Gladiator" Rail Gun.

A look at eagerly anticipated 00 Gauge BL 13.5 inch Howitzer Railgun "Gladiator" from Oxford Rail. Oxford Rail have done a superb job in capturing the overall look of these Behemoths. The model throughout features a high level of detail, including extensively detailed undercarriage, barrel, and breech, heavy die-cast construction, as well as wealth of separately fitted parts, such as pipe work and chains. Despite it size, "Gladiator" has no trouble in negotiating 2nd radius curves and pointwork. Paired up with my Railway Operating Division (ROD) Oxford Rail 'Dean Goods', we see "Gladiator" being hauled into position, ready for action, before being returned to the yard. Oxford Rail really have outdone themselves, and should be highly commended for taking on such an unique and interesting prototype. This model is not only a very welcome addition for many WW1 and WW2 railway models, but military modellers too! And at under £45, it really is excellent valve for money! Highly recommend!

Hope you enjoy!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Yj3c53yB44

Oxford-Rail---BL-13.gif

Here's my attempt on the Hornby J15.ROD552J15.jpg.ae441f77fe2c6d31dfe4ef9bd963bce6.jpg

I searched in WORD for a font which looked like the ROD one and got a couple of transfer sheets made up for me in white by an advertiser in a mag.RODLETTERS.jpg.e74c8c6c319fc9c9fbded80cff3116d9.jpg:

I'm looking forward to doing the same with the LNER J36.  Can anyone tell me how to take the existing loco numberplate off so I can replace it with one from a loco that actually ran on the ROD?  I've used Guilplates in the past but does anyone else provide this service?

• Friendly/supportive 1

7 hours ago, 1ngram said:

Here's my attempt on the Hornby J15.ROD552J15.jpg.ae441f77fe2c6d31dfe4ef9bd963bce6.jpg

I searched in WORD for a font which looked like the ROD one and got a couple of transfer sheets made up for me in white by an advertiser in a mag.RODLETTERS.jpg.e74c8c6c319fc9c9fbded80cff3116d9.jpg:

I'm looking forward to doing the same with the LNER J36.  Can anyone tell me how to take the existing loco numberplate off so I can replace it with one from a loco that actually ran on the ROD?  I've used Guilplates in the past but does anyone else provide this service?

That looks brilliant! 

Will have to look into those transfers.

Are the plates printed or part of the moulding? 

I haven't seen the LNER J36 yet but I expect the numberplate to be a raised moulding but I dont know if it is a separate piece glued on although I think this is likely as there are other versions of the loco with only a printed number.  Mind you. lookinmg again at an enlarged photo of the loco it could be it has a printed numberplate?  Can anyone who just got theirs tell us?

If you are asking about the photo of the J15 then the numberplate comes from Guilplates.

I got the white transfers done for me by Precision Labels.  Excellent quality and prompt service.

Edited by 1ngram
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

3 hours ago, 1ngram said:

I haven't seen the LNER J36 yet but I expect the numberplate to be a raised moulding but I dont know if it is a separate piece glued on although I think this is likely as there are other versions of the loco with only a printed number.  Mind you. lookinmg again at an enlarged photo of the loco it could be it has a printed numberplate?  Can anyone who just got theirs tell us?

If you are asking about the photo of the J15 then the numberplate comes from Guilplates.

I got the white transfers done for me by Precision Labels.  Excellent quality and prompt service.

I can confirm the plates are printed on the J36. However, I plan to backdate the BR Version, so have the molded Smokebox number plate to contend with. For now, I'll be fine with it just blanked out. 

Sort of tempted to keep the name Haig on the side too, just to show locos connection to the Great War

Latest ROD project has landed on the work bench. Introducing the Bachmann 2-8-0 Consolidated. However, hopefully she won't be looking like this for to long, as I plan to kitbash and backdate her into a WW1 ROD Baldwin 2-8-0! 
Here's a few pictures of her fresh from the box, while testing out the built in Sound Function.

IMG_20190318_130642.jpg

IMG_20190318_130700.jpg

• Like 1

Lots of progress on the ROD Baldwin 2-8-0 today. 
First up the Smokebox Headlight and Steps where removed, which proved to be a lot easier than I though, no cutting required. I then measured and drilled out the front and rear buffer beams, before adding a set of Bachmann Sprung Buffers.
She's certainly starting to take shape and look a lot more like the prototype. (Excuse the first picture with the temp buffer fitting with black tack).
Next step is to fill in the holes left by the lamp on the smokebox door, add some staves, before putting her into ROD livery

FB_IMG_1553274875315.jpg

FB_IMG_1553274889774.jpg

FB_IMG_1553274878403.jpg

FB_IMG_1553274881009.jpg

FB_IMG_1553274883955.jpg

FB_IMG_1553274886419.jpg

• Like 1

The Baldwin has gained her Wartime Identity!
Original numbers and branding were removed with thinners, and the ROD Text and Numbers applied. I've gone for ROD 1397, as she features in a number photographs taken on the front. 
Now to start putting her back together and added the final few Details.

FB_IMG_1553534401174.jpg

FB_IMG_1553534407219.jpg

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Corbs said:

You learn something every day, I'd never heard of the ROD operating Baldwins before. They certainly had quite an interesting selection of locos!

Many thanks indeed! Neither did I until recently. Theirs a few picture of the 2-8-0 Baldwins, including in the ROD Book. However, there was also a 4-6-0 too! Only seen 2 pictures of that class! Next project I think... ;) 

13 hours ago, SDJR7F88 said:

Many thanks indeed! Neither did I until recently. Theirs a few picture of the 2-8-0 Baldwins, including in the ROD Book. However, there was also a 4-6-0 too! Only seen 2 pictures of that class! Next project I think... ;) 

Hi there, some useful information;

Palestine Railways H class is the 4-6-0 that your thinking of:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Palestine_Railways_H_class

Also, regarding the USA/ROD 2-8-0s

http://www.modellost.co.uk/railway/pershing_rail.htm

Rob

Edited by Jollibob
  • Informative/Useful 2

5 hours ago, Jollibob said:

Hi there, some useful information;

Palestine Railways H class is the 4-6-0 that your thinking of:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Palestine_Railways_H_class

Also, regarding the USA/ROD 2-8-0s

http://www.modellost.co.uk/railway/pershing_rail.htm

Rob

Thanks ever so much for the info! Didn't know about the 4-6-0's deployment in the Middle East  

What started with 3 Locomotives backdated for the GMRC has grown to a fleet of over 8 locomotives! With more on the work bench!
Going to start needing to build a suitable layout for them...

FB_IMG_1553533993636.jpg

FB_IMG_1553508018266.jpg

FB_IMG_1553507996058.jpg

FB_IMG_1553508038906.jpg

FB_IMG_1553507960962.jpg

FB_IMG_1553507922853.jpg

FB_IMG_1553533996548.jpg

Edited by SDJR7F88