Hornby Class 67 TTS decoder

D1056WesternSultan

I am not sure whether I am expecting too much from Hornby's TTS decoders but following the recent problems experienced fitting the R8104 Class 60 TTS decoder to a Hornby class 60 I have now fitted a R8105 decoder to a class 67, 67003, included in the R3399 EWS freight train pack.

I have to say that the performance is VERY disappointing.  I know it is a budget decoder but it does have to be fit for purpose.  Fitting a Hornby decoder to a Hornby loco should be plug and play.  I know I use NCE PowerCab DCC controller and not a Hornby Elite or Select but that really should make no difference.

So, what is the problem.  Pressing F1 the loco goes through start up and the engine settles to idle in a very 'notchy' manner - not a smooth transition.  So turning the controller up to step 3 the air brake sounds.  Turning the power up further to step 6 the airbrake sounds again and then the revs increase quite quickly but the loco moves oh! so very slowly. By step 10 the engine sound is at thrash level but the loco is still crawling.

If this is the standard of TTS decoders then I think I will have to seriously consider ditching Hornbys DCC sound.  I have three other dcc sound fitted locos a Bachmann class 37 with factory fitted ESU Loksound v3.5 with a Howes reblow and two Dapol class 52 Westerns with Legomanbiffo sounds on ESU Loksound V4 21 pin decoders.  They are superb and I did not have to make any adjustments to with any of them.  They worked straight from the box.

I find the whole thing very disappointing especially as the class 67 and the TTS decoder were a Christmas present from my wife and I have had to wait until now to get the time to set it up.

I should add that the loco runs perfectly with teh sound off.

Just stumbled across this whilst looking for something else. The instructions give fairly good explanations on changing cv values to suit your preferences. I think they are very good. I also found studying a few clips of the real loco on YouTube ect helped me set up TTS diesel decoders. I dont think expensive decoders come perfectly set up either.. Let us know how you get on... How about changing the start voltage to begin with... 

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

In defence of Hornby TTS:

I have now fitted around 20 TTS decoders to various diesel classes.  They do need some CV adjustments to get them perfect.  Which does take time.  But for the money I reckon they are brilliant actually!  I now have them controlling the motors every bit as smooth as Loksounds!  Another thing is I found that just a simple replacement of the speaker with a £4 iPhone type (I use Roads and Rails ones) transforms the sound.  Take a look at my YouTube channel videos (see link below) on some of which I have listed the CV adjustments. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 4

1 hour ago, Marcoblanco said:

Just stumbled across this whilst looking for something else. The instructions give fairly good explanations on changing cv values to suit your preferences. I think they are very good. I also found studying a few clips of the real loco on YouTube ect helped me set up TTS diesel decoders. I dont think expensive decoders come perfectly set up either.. Let us know how you get on... How about changing the start voltage to begin with... 

Agree with all of that, except you can't change start voltage CV2 on TTS.  I found the way to get smoother starts is to change CV150 to 1,  then change CVs153 and 154 to suit the motor in your loco.

Edited by cravensdmufan
Spelling
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, D1056WesternSultan said:

Cravensdmufan.  Thanks for that.  Your 47s look great.

Thanks 1056.

The 47s were the ones that took the most cv tuning actually.

Since posting those videos I have improved the TTS sound even more by installing two Roads and Rails iPhone speakers in each loco. One large and one small. These are wired in series, which not only produce a better sound but by placing one at each end has the effect of the sound coming from the middle of the loco -  as it should. I hope that makes sense!

I aim to post another video of this enhancement in the next few days. 

• Like 1

• 2 years later...

Hello Vivian, this is most useful information thanks. I have a couple of Hornby Class 67s I plan to fit TTS into. I have found your YT channel, which is the best video to watch for setting up the CVs as you describe? Thanks Paul