The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Please help me find a radio station I can listen to.

David Bigcheeseplant

Please help me find a radio station I can listen too,  I used to listen to Radio 2 but the music is now so crap I cant bear to tune in, most singers seem to be constipated and trying to squeeze one out while singing! I used to like Radcliffe and McConie  on 6 Music but having now shifted to weekends I have to put up with Shawn Keaveny, and after giving it a try have had to give up on this too as he just spout rubbish.

I know there are dedicated stations for decades or genre but these are just music and I do like some intelligent chat between music, and also don’t want to be stuck in some music bracket as I do like some variation..

• Agree 3
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold

I've gone over to internet radio - there's millions of stations all over the world covering pretty much any taste you an think of. As I'm trying to learn a foreign language I've been listening to talk radio in that language which is great for listening practice...

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

Music and the choice of is always a highly personal thing, so what works for you doesn't necessarily work for anyone else.

I enjoyed Stuart Maconie on Radio 2 prior to Mark Radcliffe appearing, which might date me, whom I never really got on with. I also remember, from a similar time, a DJ called Richard Allinson who must have left a positive impression on me. At the moment I listen to the following Radio 2 shows each week:

Johnnie Walker Rock Show (Johnnie Walker) (*)

PIck of the Pops (Paul Gambacini)

Sounds of the 60s (Tony Blackburn)

Sounds of the 70s (Johnnie Walker) (*)

Sounds of the 80s (Gary Davies)

(*) JW is currently away, having had some heart work done at the beginning of the year. Tom Robinson is covering the 70s show and Huey Morgan the Rock Show.

Admittedly the music is silo'd to some extent, although there is a mix of genres across the eras shows, and Pick of the Pops is whatever was in the Top 40 this week in whatever year.

Johnnie Walker always seemed to supply some good information around the music being played, as does Gary Davies to some extent. Tony Blackburn is ...erm... well-known. Gambos talk between the tunes is somewhat limited, mainly by time, but again is someone that has been around and has lived through it.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

In the US on my Alexa I flip between Classic FM and Radio 2,  although I find some of the mindless banter on Radio 2 more annoying than repetitive adverts on Classic FM.   In the morning I listen to National Public Radio (which also carries some World Service programming) as this is fairly neutral comprehensive news reporting.

Smart speakers are great for playing random music from Amazon, Pandora and other streaming services as well!

• RMweb Premium

Planet Rock,  has a wide range of rock genres and blues from the 60s through too the present day, there is quite an insight into the rock world with a number of presenters who are rock names,  like Alice Cooper, Danny Bowes and  Joe Elliott, If you have a cookery problem, there's the Hairy Bikers on Sunday morning, repeated on Tuesday evening. There are occasional interviews with the great and good of the music industry.  Sorry no Folk music though.

• Agree 1

On line station Solid Gold Gem AM is run largely by former ILR presenters (the original Gem AM being the East Midlands Oldies station before it got gobbled by Classic Gold then Gold) with no commercials and reasonable links albeit no interviews between records rather than a continual "music jam" and IMO is probably the best of its genre. The problem with radio today is that it is increasingly becoming themed and the old 70s 80s variety of broadcasting has largely gone so its a case of changing stations to get a mix rather than a station offering the mix,  I tend to swop between the local BBC and commercial stations (living in one of the few places left in the country with a local commercial station that has not been gobbled up by Global or Bauer and turned into a Capital or Heart) and 5 Live in terms of DAB channels.

Edited by Butler Henderson

And I thought it was only me.

R6M has almost completely got me switched off in the past few weeks. Only Sunday morning brings music to my ears these days. I used to do all my modelling to Maconie and friends, now I can't seem to get on with anything. The presenters are almost uninteligible, or if they are, talk absolute drivel. Planet Rock and Jazz FM are OK for the odd hour, but.....

Scala Radio launches on March 4th on DAB. Its where Simon Mayo is moving to. Scala is classical music, to be pitched between Classic FM and Radio 3 in style. May be worth casting an ear to when its starts? 

"Leading the presenting line-up is much-loved and award-winning broadcaster Simon Mayo who will host a brand-new mid-morning entertainment show, with celebrity interviews, listener interaction and a new re-imagined ‘Classical Confessions’ feature.

Ensuring the conversation is as absorbing as the music, the new station will feature Angellica Bell leading the weekend, Mark Kermode who will bring alive his love of film scores and Chris Rogers hosting a live Sunday brunch show with guests".

https://www.bauermedia.co.uk/newsroom/press-releases/a-new-place-for-classical-music-scala-radio-is-launching

Edited by #steamtrain#

Hi David,

About ten years ago I got to the point that the radio stations were driving me crackers with music I didn't like, repetitive adverts and inane DJ's talking twaddle, so I just turned it off.

The television went to the tip five years before that and I now have peace and tranquility in my life along with the fact that it is much easier to concentrate.

Should I play any music it is now of my choice and on my terms with no adverts and no idiot DJ's talking twaddle.

Its not called programming for nothing !!!!

Gibbo.

• Like 4

I usually stick to planet rock for the radio, but that winds me up sometimes. I mostly just use Amazon music and stream whatever I feel like. I have the regular prime subscription for the TV and "free" delivery, but if you don't then you will have to pay.

I really can't stand radio 2. Might be better now Chris Evans has gone, but I'm not going to make any effort to find out. My wife likes radio 4 extra, which can be entertaining, but there's not much music on there.

Maybe we should start our own internet station...

• RMweb Premium

I think that Radio 2 has improved (marginally) without Chris Evans, who is now earning £2m a year with Virgin, which luckily is not available on the multiplex here - I did manage to get it online, and he has literally taken his format and moved it over.  Zoe Ball seems a bit better than she used to, and is nowhere near as shrill as Evans whose voice was really annoying. 

SWMBO goes for LBC for her everyday listening, but too much talk for me.  If I am really stuck then Smooth Extra seems to be about the best of a bad bunch.

5 hours ago, 45156 said:

... If I am really stuck then Smooth Extra seems to be about the best of a bad bunch.

Agreed, but I do have to be really stuck.  Most times I can live relatively happily with a mix of Radio Paradise, JBRadio2, and Flower Power Radio (all on t'internets).

• Like 1

I've totally given up on UK radio. 3 1/2 minutes of music, then 20 minutes of some "personality" and his/her sidekick droning on about what they did last night or laughing at their own inside jokes. Normally around the house we listen to our Sonos with a playlist or an online station from Radionomy. Pick a genre and go for it. Currently listening to XL103 from Calgary. Its an oldies (60s - 80s) station with a 70s style AM radio format. Good variety of music, minimal banter from the DJs, and what there is tends to be topical and not their own personal crap. 

In the car it is either music off the phone or a stream through the phone. 

• RMweb Premium
36 minutes ago, RedgateModels said:

I wish I could get Planet Rock here, used to be fine until they shifted "frequency". SWMBO bought a DAB adaptor for my Android car unit but I've not fitted it yet, not much point :(

We were without Planet Rock for a period, but by chance I had too rescan the radio in the car and when it finished, up came Planet Rock, so when I got home,  I did all of those radios as well and messaged all the other listeners that I knew. So I would suggest a rescan.