• RMweb Premium
On 15/05/2019 at 09:44, MartinWales said:

Still, gutted that I can't attend with the other Expo 'groupies'!

Are they going to have to cancel the bring and buy this weekend then? There'll be nothing there to sell!:declare:

We'll miss you!

Heading over tomorrow lunchtime to help with the set up etc.

• Thanks 1

Please note that, due to unforeseen circumstances, the EMGS Trade Officer will not be running the Trade Stand at expoEM Spring in Bracknell this weekend. The Trade Stand will still be at Bracknell and advance orders can be collected.

Visitors can make purchases from the Trade Stand as usual, however please be aware that for the weekend that it will be cash and cheque only payments.

We offer our sincere apologies for any inconvenience this may cause.

image.png.578d45252560263c0f1cc1bf2cde9ae6.png

The EMGS turnouts manufactured by by Peco, are at the tooling stage as you will be able to see from the photo from Peco (reproduced with permission), and also from the photos on the EMGS Trade Stand at Bracknell this weekend. 

Due to unforeseen circumstances they are slightly behind were we had hoped to be but we are very close to receiving the first pre-production point for checking.  Once we are happy we will give the green light to production and then they will be on sale. 

Sorry to those of you who have delayed the building of layouts and fiddle yards to use the new track. As you can see the project is progressing so please check our newsletter, website and social media outlets for up to date news. 

Edited by Leander
Correct spelling mistake

As some of will know, Roy Jackson has been unwell of late and as a consequence will not be in attendance. Post #1 corrected accordingly.

We wish Roy every good wish for a speedy recovery. He must be making the nurses' lives hell!

1 hour ago, Leander said:

As some of will know, Roy Jackson has been unwell of late and as a consequence will not be in attendance. Post #1 corrected accordingly.

We wish Roy every good wish for a speedy recovery. He must be making the nurses' lives hell!

To be fair to Roy, he is behaving!!

I can't comment on the car parking as I went by train, but there was some top class modelling on show.

The usual suspects are trading although Brassmasters took a bit of finding (next to Megapoints and Isinglass) and although not listed C&L are there, although with a somewhat smaller  stand than usual squeezed in between Roxey and London Road Models.

Well done putting together a great show.

• Agree 1

Another great show this year. The new EM gauge track appeared to be selling well - I bought a box for the fiddle yard and they seemed to be down to their last few. Slightly confusingly it comes in standard Peco HO/OO marked boxes to presumbly as that's easier - but it does contain the 'right' 18.2mm stuff!

Had a fun day out yesterday - nice to allow my Terrier a run on the test track and to catch up with a few familiar faces. A good show, if you’re free today...

Adam

• RMweb Gold
11 hours ago, tc said:

Another great show this year. The new EM gauge track appeared to be selling well - I bought a box for the fiddle yard and they seemed to be down to their last few. Slightly confusingly it comes in standard Peco HO/OO marked boxes to presumbly as that's easier - but it does contain the 'right' 18.2mm stuff!

Hi,

Glad you enjoyed the show.

In answer to your box comment, Peco very kindly said that we could use thier exsisiting packaging of the plain track as it would be a $64k question as to how many boxes to have printed with EM on them and then we could end up with the following happening:

1) To get the best price for the packaging with EM on means we would have to have lots of boxes done which then need to be stored somewhere at Peco taking up room with them.

2) You can guarantee that we would use up the last box just as we needed a few boxes making up.

The society is stuck between a rock and hard place with it so we went with the best option for all.

Thanks

Simon

Edited by Mr.S.corn78
  • Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Gold
45 minutes ago, Mr.S.corn78 said:

Hi,

In answer to your box comment, Peco very kindly said that we could use thier exsisiting packaging of the plain track as it would be a $64k question as to how many boxes to have printed with EM on them and then we could end up with the following happening:

1) To get the best price for the packaging with EM on means we would have to have lots of boxes done which then need to be stored somewhere at Peco taking up room with them.

2) You can guarantee that we would use up the last box just as we needed a few boxes making up.

The society is stuck between a rock and hard place with it so we want with the best option for all.

Thanks

Simon

Common financial sense really, would expect nothing else.

Mike.

• Agree 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Mr.S.corn78 said:

Hi,

The society is stuck between a rock and hard place with it so we want with the best option for all.

Thanks

Simon

And what was great was to witness a queue during the day for people waiting to purchase it. Wonderful to see.

Adam

Edited by Adam
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
44 minutes ago, Enterprisingwestern said:

Common financial sense really, would expect nothing else.

Mike.

At least there is a few of you who can understand that.

Anyway we are taking this show topic off topic, so if there are any further questions then please post in the track thread.

Thank you

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

I greatly enjoyed this year's show, as I have every year I've been; as always nothing but top quality layouts on display. I'm very lucky to have such a show taking place only 15 minutes' drive away. 

I spent several hours at the show on Saturday and went back for an hour or so this afternoon, primarily to spend longer watching Hope-under-Dinmore. This was probably a mistake. There's some wonderful stock on the layout - I particularly appreciated the 3-cylinder compounds - a Greater Britain and, my favourite, a Class A 0-8-0. There's plenty of goods train action but I'm afraid that's where, after a while, a hint of dissatisfaction set in. I was reminded of the remark made by a non-modeller but ex-spotter friend of mine after we'd spent some time watching Keir Hardy's Wibbenshaw at RailEx a few years ago: "not enough 47s". He said he'd love to have been spotting at a location with such a variety of diesel classes but it simply didn't reflect reality. Now I'm a bit of a pre-grouping goods wagon enthusiast so am climbing on my hobby-horse here but modelling early 20th century wagons has made me try to find out more about how they were used and to look at what was typical. What I've come to understand is, that before the Great War, there should be very few "foreigners" and very few "specials"; apart from private owner coal wagons, the scene should be dominated by the standard open wagons of the operating company. Around 1905 over 70% of Great Western wagons were standard opens of various vintages, well over half of which were 4-plank wagons; I haven't worked out proportions for the LNWR but D1 1-plank wagons, D2 2-plank wagons, and D4/D9 4-plank wagons constituted a high proportion of the stock. Vans of any sort should be very much in the minority - no more than 10%. And lots of those opens should have sheets on them - don't waste scarce funds on fancy wagon loads when an amorphous lump of wood will do just as well.

I can perfectly understand that on a group layout using stock from various members, what is run will reflect the preferences of the individual members. But since such effort has gone into creating a layout full of such well-researched period detail, wouldn't some evenings spent building a few dozen GWR and LNWR open wagons just be worth it for that extra touch of realism? Now, I admit that a key kit here - the Coopercraft O5, that can, by building it with conventional rather than Dean-Churchward brakes, represent the 24,000+ earlier 4-plank wagons, is out of production, so some Ebay patience is also needed, but the LNWR wagons are readily available. 

Although I'm an adherent of the cult of the ordinary, I do enjoy whimsy - this year in the form of a red-painted Cambrian cattle wagon with suitably smoking livestock. 

Edited by Compound2632

• RMweb Gold

As one of the builders of stock for Hope, I do find your remarks a bit grating. After 10 years on the circuit you are only the second person to have complained about our stock, the first was 'Kenton', remember him, who said we had to much of it! The layout is owned by the SHMRC, but the stock is owned and paid for by 4 individuals, reflects  our tastes and is used on other layouts. Who pays for the few dozen extra wagons, a bill of probably £400 to £500? Also our operating period allows up to about 1922 and is not restricted to pre first world war, if it was you should have pointed out the Super D on the PW train was totally out of period. We have a new fiddle yard 95% complete, which is going to extend the layouts stock capacity and we will discuss your comments before putting anymore stock on the layout. I could not attend this weekend due to baby sitting duties, but I bet you did not discuss this failing with my fellow exhibitors, saving it for the faceless keyboard of the internet. You are welcome to come to Newbury in October, only a short distance from Reading after all and discuss your issues with us there.

• Like 2
  • Agree 2
  • Friendly/supportive 4