Is the Gaugemaster Prodigy Squared still a sought after DCC system?

6029 King Stephen

Hi,

i bought my Gaugemaster Prodigy Squared system in November 2008 as it was considered to be one of the best DCC systems. At the time I had been considering the Bachman’s Dynamis, Hornby Elite and NCE systems.  I had discounted the Lenz and Digitrax systems on account of their high prices.

Interests change over time and in 2008 I had a sizeable collection of OO gauge locos that the use of a DCC system would benefit from.  However, since then my collection has whittled down to only having two locos fitted with decoders and four that don’t or unlikely to ever have.  I have a Gaugemaster hand held analogue controller and because my interest in railways is almost non-existent - I have not used my DCC controller ever on a layout and it was last used to run a loco in 2014 - I am thinking of selling it and the Hornby J94 that was an involved conversion to DCC and removing the decoder from the final loco.  If my interest is regained, then I would look at another system.  I replaced the cable that runs between the handheld and the power box and it is boxed, as new with all instruction manuals.

My questions therefore are: Is the Gaugemaster Prodigy Squared still a sought after system and what is a realistic price to sell it for?

Thanks,

Steve

Have to admit that I haven't heard of it, but that doesn't mean anything  :) , however a quick search of ebay suggest that it isn't that common being as there are zero hits for it.

I suggest you set up a daily search on eBay and get it to email you if any are listed. That will give you an idea of the proce they fetch should any be listed. After a few weeks you will know the selling price, or even that it isn't very popular.

Perhaps you mean the Advanced 2 which is sold a lot as you can see here https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=m570.l1313&_nkw=Gaugemaster+Prodigy+advanced+2&_sacat=0 which will let you see the price to ask for.

Edited by WIMorrison
spelling :(

• RMweb Premium

It's generally known as a Prodigy 2, not "squared", they're a very popular system, whether sought after is the right term is something else, but you won't struggle to sell it. The starter sets are still sold for £310 by Gaugemaster. Second hand ones on eBay look to sell for £200-£250 assuming boxed and all packaged up.

• Agree 1

I just sold 2 on evilbay, one the original type and the other the "Squared" both sold for around £150 each, I also outed an express at the same time and that went for around £125. I suspect controllers are one of those things people tend to buy new as its one of the first things they get, then start buying second hand once the reality of the cost of model rail hits home.

I see that MRC who mage these for Gaugemaster are selling a more advanced model under their own name in America, I wonder if Gaugemaster have any intentions of selling that under their own name any time soon.

Paul

After a fair bit of research, I opted for the PA2.

Being brand new to the hobby (DIY), I knew straight away that digital was what I should go for.

As I understood it, most of the other systems required extra addons (more power, more controllers), but the PA2 had it all in one.  I think they're a desirable system for many, but each person has different requirements so will choose different systems.

I managed to pick mine up for £125ish from ebay, but I think I was lucky.

I'd stick a new one up for £XXX or best offer - the price on perhaps the higher end of the average they're currently going for (look at used ones, not brand new).

Also, don't feel bad for calling it "squared".

Gaugemaster market it as exactly that, but in written form, most people just put "Prodigy Advance 2"

• Agree 3

1 hour ago, Sir TophamHatt said:

Also, don't feel bad for calling it "squared".

Gaugemaster market it as exactly that, but in written form, most people just put "Prodigy Advance 2"

Agree, the correct name is Prodigy Advance Squared but because of the difficulties in typing a superscript '2' it's often written as a normal 2.

Paul

As Paul (Sprintex) says above, the correct name is indeed "Prodigy Advance Squared".

The current Express model, is the "Prodigy Express Squared".

Even if frequently used erroneously, there's no such system as the "Prodigy Advance 2".

Note:  It was always possible to type the figure "2" in superscript on this forum, but unfortunately the new forum software has removed this facility. Just one of a few retrograde steps the new software has presented.

Bah Humbug !

Edited by Ron Ron Ron
  • Like 1

On 15/02/2019 at 22:53, Paul80 said:

........I see that MRC who mage these for Gaugemaster are selling a more advanced model under their own name in America, I wonder if Gaugemaster have any intentions of selling that under their own name any time soon.

Paul

Hi Paul,

If by "a more advanced model", you are referring to the "Prodigy Elite"; then from what I can see, I don't think there's anything advanced about it. 

It's just a high power output version of the Prodigy Advance Squared (10 amps), with a blue backlit display handset and the Command Station and Booster main unit being housed in a fan cooled  metal case.

AFAICs, MRC don't list any other extra features or capabilities.

The Elite has been in the MRC range for a few years now.

However, I doubt Gaugemaster see much of a market for a 10 amp system, over on these shores.

Then again, stranger things have happened.

Ron

Edited by Ron Ron Ron

On 15/02/2019 at 14:53, Paul80 said:

I see that MRC who mage these for Gaugemaster are selling a more advanced model under their own name in America, I wonder if Gaugemaster have any intentions of selling that under their own name any time soon.

AFAIK,

The Gaugemaster product is just a 'Badge Engineered' version of the MRC (Model Rectifier Corporation) original.

Art

• RMweb Premium
17 minutes ago, Ron Ron Ron said:

Hi Paul,

If by "a more advanced model", you are referring to the "Prodigy Elite"; then from what I can see, I don't think there's anything advanced about it. 

It's just a high power output version of the Prodigy Advanced Squared (10 amps), with a blue backlit display handset and the Command Station and Booster main unit being housed in a fan cooled  metal case.

AFAICs, MRC don't list any other extra features or capabilities.

The Elite has been in the MRC range for a few years now.

However, I doubt Gaugemaster see much of a market for a 10 amp system, over on these shores.

Then again, stranger things have happened.

Ron

The blue-backlit handsets are now supplied as standard with GM Prodigy Advanced 2 systems, and when you buy additional handsets (model DCC-14).

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

I believe the Elite might give output readings on the base unit LCD, volts and amperage, but not sure. The handset looks to be exactly the same as for the Prodigy Advance.  Not sure either whether the wi-fi handsets are backlit. Or maybe Gaugemaster just haven't shifted their older badged versions yet.

Izzy

Hi everyone, thanks for all your comments.  Probably easier to describe it as Prodigy Advance 2 rather the correct Squared as it would be found quicker when people are searching for it.  I had a thought to keep it (and my J94) but today when I was considering buying a Bachman Prairie tank to start a small shelf based branch line in the shed, I realised that I really couldn’t be bothered.  My interest in model railways has truly passed and the controller and other OO stuff I have would just be gathering dust on the off chance that I did something with it.  

Therefore, I have decided the time has come to sell it on eBay - my username is elaineandsteve1512 - and I hope to start listing things from tomorrow (17 February) on one-day sales.  What I am selling is varied and might be of interest to you; not only this controller but also some used Hornby R8249 decoders, Hornby J94 loco “Harry” with Hornby R8249 decoder fitted under the weight in the boiler, some Superquick card building kits, Wills level crossing kits, Tortoise point motors, lengths of SMP phosphor bronze flexi track, Ratio SR bogie B wagons kits (part built and unopened, PCB handbuilt A5 turnouts, Churchward Models etched brass part completed GWR signal box with brand new Springside interior kit and some C&L/Exactoscale components for building handbuilt OO track.

Thanks once again for all you advice and comments.

Regards,

Steve

Edited by 6029 King Stephen