new 70s- 80s br blue layout build

o gauge nut

Hi here is a few photos of my new layout build  br blue 70s -80s br blue

still loads of work to do  but every time i go to do some more work i end up running trains instead.

but managed to weather the class 47  1662 today and shes come out ok .dont you think?

all locos are sound fitted zimo and esu  biffo swd and paul chetter sound files with large base reflex speakers from roads and rails.

the second 47 not numbered is brand new out the box last week... 

20190215_154949.jpg

20190215_155022.jpg

• Like 8

i suppose so but im in the loft and this is my second attempt at 7mm  as i got a bit frustrated the first time after modeling oo gauge for so long but have been drawn back by the ready to run locos  they are superb . 

just wish i had the room to go all the way around but the curves are just to tight

• Friendly/supportive 1

10 minutes ago, o gauge nut said:

i suppose so but im in the loft and this is my second attempt at 7mm  as i got a bit frustrated the first time after modeling oo gauge for so long but have been drawn back by the ready to run locos  they are superb . 

just wish i had the room to go all the way around but the curves are just to tight

I found the same on the curves with even the 20's buffer locking the Mobil Tanks and OAA's etc, the Steam stuff was fine which is why I separated my two Layouts and did away with the curve altogether.

My Scenics are only 12ft so you have some good room to play with here.

Edited by Andrew P
add text

I like that you have a good balance between track and real estate and not wall to wall track. My layout will be 15ft x 3ft so seeing your layout gives me a view of the possible

I can't wait for the new Heljan Class 47's to come out as yours look fabulous

• Agree 1

hi yes got to many locos  and like i said the other 47 is brand new out the box and i have another  on its way in the next week or so as my friend started collecting 7mm locos years back with the intention of building a garden layout but now hes letting me have them every month or so . i hope to buy all of his 47s over the next few months . he has some special repaints by tower models but not cheap as they cost him a fortune.

i am saving some money for the new 37/4s that shoud be out soon.

yes got loads of wagons in the hattons sale. just not on the layout no room with all the locos lol

1 hour ago, Andrew P said:

I found the same on the curves with even the 20's buffer locking the Mobil Tanks and OAA's etc, the Steam stuff was fine which is why I separated my two Layouts and did away with the curve altogether.

My Scenics are only 12ft so you have some good room to play with here.

hi andy yes my loft is 18ft long but only 9ft wide thats with the layout a 3ft high 

i would have plenty of room if i dropped it down a foot but i have a bad back all ready.

its bad enough with oo gauge .the curves just dont look right so will stick to end to end.

it does mean you have to drive trains in stead of just watching  them  go round and round

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Park said:

I like that you have a good balance between track and real estate and not wall to wall track. My layout will be 15ft x 3ft so seeing your layout gives me a view of the possible

I can't wait for the new Heljan Class 47's to come out as yours look fabulous

im wating for the new Heljan 37/4s at the moment.

and 15ft x 3ft is a great size  though about extending my buy a foot in width could do so much more

1 hour ago, o gauge nut said:

hi andy yes my loft is 18ft long but only 9ft wide thats with the layout a 3ft high 

i would have plenty of room if i dropped it down a foot but i have a bad back all ready.

its bad enough with oo gauge .the curves just dont look right so will stick to end to end.

it does mean you have to drive trains in stead of just watching  them  go round and round

I could see you're in the loft; so am I - my space is 17ft x 8ft and I do have an O Scale roundy-roundy in it - 36" radius curves. Of course it's American outline so no probs with buckeye couplers instead of buffers and 3-links!! The curves are rather ridiculous but don't look too bad from eye level, and being inside the curve:-

409788967_36inchcurve.jpg.5c055ce5113bfbb54cb38e83a9a0313b.jpg

My British O has to make do with a couple of small shelf layouts. :(

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

6 hours ago, 47606odin said:

Ooh, more diesels. I like :drinks:

Which begs a question....

As I see it, a lot of us who like/model BR Blue do so because it's the Era of our youth; it's what we knew. You had to be there to "get" the blue Era - older people hated it as they were still lamenting the passing of steam; to younger ones used to all sorts of Privatisation liveries, 'everything blue' seems dead boring. But we grew up with BR Blue, loved it and also modelled it in 4mm scale, mostly.

Now we are of an age where O Scale appeals and the O market has shifted in our favour away from brass kits to R-T-R more like we knew back then too. I'm finally getting to the question....

Back in my 4mm days I had both a Hornby 86 & a Lima 87, & ran them without any OHLE despite best intentions to fit some 'one day'.

So; The Question :- 

Would we buy Sparkies if they were produced, even without any OHLE..??

I reckon if they were well done, Classes 86 & 87 would be hard to resist, even if the average home Shunty Plank isn't the most ideal layout for them. :yes: :good:

• Like 3

In answer to the question, although like you I have run the Lima ''OO'' ones under clear blue sky, I have seen ''O'' Layouts with wires and it all looks very messy, so maybe an unpowered one or two shunted into a Yard / Depot by the Yard 08, then yes, but under general use its a big no from me.

3 hours ago, F-UnitMad said:

Which begs a question....

As I see it, a lot of us who like/model BR Blue do so because it's the Era of our youth; it's what we knew. You had to be there to "get" the blue Era - older people hated it as they were still lamenting the passing of steam; to younger ones used to all sorts of Privatisation liveries, 'everything blue' seems dead boring. But we grew up with BR Blue, loved it and also modelled it in 4mm scale, mostly.

Now we are of an age where O Scale appeals and the O market has shifted in our favour away from brass kits to R-T-R more like we knew back then too. I'm finally getting to the question....

Back in my 4mm days I had both a Hornby 86 & a Lima 87, & ran them without any OHLE despite best intentions to fit some 'one day'.

So; The Question :- 

Would we buy Sparkies if they were produced, even without any OHLE..??

I reckon if they were well done, Classes 86 & 87 would be hard to resist, even if the average home Shunty Plank isn't the most ideal layout for them. :yes: :good:

you never know what will be next from Heljan and Dapol so fingers crossed for a 86 or 87

• Like 3