Keats Sidings

Having sold off my 009 layouts Plas Halt (plashalt.weebly.com) and Dinas Junction, and mostly finished my new 16mm garden railway following house move (vwhr.weebly.com), in December I thought it was about time I built a small layout to play with at home, and so Keats Sidings was born. It is a non-specific small goods yard set and is not trying to be too era specific, to cover 1950's through to 1970's stock.

Structurally the layout is a 3'x1' Tim Horn baseboard with a short fiddle yard knocked up from 12mm ply. This is a bit under 2' in length to fit in a set space within the house, and is just a single piece of track (perhaps to be replaced by casettes, hence is set a bit lower) with room to store locos & stock etc. The trackplan is simple, with three sidings fed by two Peco points operated by Cobalt point motors. Either DC or DCC are used (primarily DC).

THe attached photos show progress thus far - the one with the Class 24 being an up to date photo. I now have four weeks to scenic it before it's due to appear at a local exhibition in March.

IMG-5414.JPG

IMG-5294.JPG

IMG-5272.jpg

IMG-5410.JPG

• Like 12

Thanks very much for all of the comments!

Re the Tim Horn baseboards - yes, definitely. I would not use them for a big project purely because of cost, but for photo box style layouts they're great, very impressed.

Over the past few days I've been focusing on 16mm but have made some more progress on this too. Some trestles have been put together, and I've added some shelves and now painted the fiddle yard board. Also added a small two pin plug to provide the power between the two; I had been using fishplates previously. Also now ordered lots of the required missing bits - photo backscene, LED lights, some wall to make garden boundary around the cottage etc - so that I can really crack on with the scenery next week.

IMG_5460.jpg

IMG_5421.JPG

• Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 1

Great start to this new layout. Yes, the 24 looks at home on it already :)
Four weeks will pass very quickly.... I'm sure you know that - but time does seem to disappear very quickly when you have to be ready for an exhibition...
That said, there's nothing like a deadline to motivate you! lol

Looking at this, it brings to mind a lovely little P4 layout that appeared in MRJ some years back, called "Croft Depot" which was a small coal depot, based on a real location
Stunning little layout that was / is. It featured a crossing keepers cottage in the left foreground, and it hid the entry point really well.

Good luck with this - I'm looking forward to seeing it completed

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, marc smith said:

Looking at this, it brings to mind a lovely little P4 layout that appeared in MRJ some years back, called "Croft Depot" which was a small coal depot, based on a real location
Stunning little layout that was / is. It featured a crossing keepers cottage in the left foreground, and it hid the entry point really well.

As Marc says, Croft Depot is well worth a look Jon. Stunning little layour based on the sidings at Croft just to the south of Darlington. Duncan who built it is a member of this here forum and there are plenty of photos kicking around on t'interweb if you're looking for some inspiration. Here is a link to another of his layouts: 

I'm highly impressed by the baseboard, the presentation is superb. Is the fiddle yard board also from Tim Horn? 

Again the way the layout can live on top of a bookshelf at home, as shown in your photograph, shows the benefits of a micro layout. It can fit into a modern home without taking up acres of space, can be easily transported, moved and stored and importantly can be finished in a sensible timescale without being overwhelming. 

Great stuff -  keep posting updates! 

David

Edit: sorry just re-read the initial post and see that the fiddle yard board is your own work. Ignore my ignorant question!

Edited by south_tyne
Realised the answer to my silly question is staring me in the face....
  • Like 2

Thanks guys. Agreed re 4 weeks going to go quickly (especially as now basically three!) but the deadline should keep me focused. 

I hadn't come across Croft Depot before but it really is lovely. A bit of progress yesterday - have now sorted and fixed lighting (which required a slight change to the backscene board) and also cut away some of the foamboard and put down a bit of papier mache. Also noticed that the foamboard under a section of the track wasn't flat (being board that had travelled a bit) and wagons ran away down into a dip - not ideal! So it's had to come up and be packed, but now complete.

Next step will be to test a bit more rigorously, then start with the proper scenics - most of the bits are now in stock.

IMG-5465.JPG

• Like 7

A couple of hours testing today and everything is good (apart from some very dirty wheels and troublesome Kadee's which have been resolved!). Will continue to test a bit further before fixing the backscene and buildings & then starting on the ground cover. I was originally intending on getting the ground cover mostly done tomorrow, but will test a bit further first I think.

IMG_5507.jpg

IMG_5504.jpg

IMG_5506.jpg

• Like 15

• 6 months later...