Slaters Methfix Transfers

Jack

I’ve had some kits sitting in some boxes for the past 10 years and have finally got round to starting to build them.  First up is a Slater’s Salt Van (the green Manger’s one).  It went together really well and i managed to fabricate the roof ok, but i’m struggling with the transfers.

i’ve followed the instructions .... remove the backing, apply with 3:1 meths/water, leave 15mins, then remove tissue with water ... except that when i do the last bit the transfer keeps coming off too.  The numbers are ok to reposition, but the end wording keeps disintergrating because there is so much.

At first i thought it was the age of the transfers, so brought some new ones from Slaters, but these have done the same.

Has anyone else had this problem?  How have you solved it, or am i doing something wrong?

Thanks

• RMweb Premium

You need to keep applying meths to the transfer to stop it drying out. Eventually the tissue will float off, it can take a while with these. If you try and force it some of the transfer may come off.

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, Nile said:

You need to keep applying meths to the transfer to stop it drying out. Eventually the tissue will float off, it can take a while with these. If you try and force it some of the transfer may come off.

So instead of leaving it to dry for 15 mins I keep it moist with the meths solution? 

I'll order some more transfers and give it a go.  Thanks!

Be dead patient and persevere. You will get there. It is a technique that only repetition (and careful following of instructions) teaches.

If it's any consolation, I have been working with these for years and thought I had mastered them. But then I tried to apply the Yorkshire and Lincolnshire Tar Distillers transfer to a square tank wagon. Boy was that fun! OK, I got there in the end, but only with many curses, and you can, if you look carefully, still find an imperfection.

I was a little consoled to find that a professional model-maker had had a similar issue with the same transfer.

The good news is that you don't get that "invisible" (ha,ha) backing you get with waterslide and that when properly done the letters look painted on.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, Jack said:

So instead of leaving it to dry for 15 mins I keep it moist with the meths solution? 

Yes, that's the way. That's what it says in these instructions which I shall repost here.

methfix.JPG.9a26fe8734c022523f20aae40eace512.JPG

The good thing about these transfers is the lack of carrier film, as Poggy says. This can also cause problems with complex multipart transfers such as those for the tank wagons. There is nothing to keep the separate letters together, so they tend to move apart. Very trying indeed.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 16/02/2019 at 20:19, Nile said:

Yes, that's the way. That's what it says in these instructions which I shall repost here.

Thanks!!!  Mystery solved.  The kit I have didn't come with transfer instructions and I found a scanned copy on the internet, which doesn't include the line about keeping the tissue moist during the 15 minutes.  I assumed one left it to dry out.

I'll acquire some more and see how I get on. :)