Manning Wardle L Class

Hello everyone,

Having searched the web and drawn a blank I thought I would ask the collective here. Has anyone produced a Manning Wardle L Class in 4mm scale?

I fancy one for the layout as I used to drive two of them at the Middleton Railway. Lovely engines which I really miss working on.

Many thanks

Andy

Hi Andy, 

A class L has never been available as a kit in 4mm scale I'm afraid - the closest which is currently available is the I or K class from rtmodels (previous versions available from Impetus and Peter K). At the other end of the spectrum CSP does several larger 0-6-0 types. 

Hope that helps. 

Paul A. 

I believe Bamburgh which ran on the North Sunderland was an L class . Described as a 'Class L altered' in book on the railway by A Wright.  There were probablty a number of variations but wheels were 3ft 6in on this one, whereas others I have found details for seem to have smaller wheels. I have done a 3D printed model for Bamburgh which might be OK. Happy to look at any loco as long as I can find scale drawings.

north-sunderland-mw-bamburgh-1a.jpg

Edited by rue_d_etropal
  • Like 3

There was a drawing in Railway Modeller. A few inaccuracies, but gives a good idea of the generic members of the class.

If you're going to do up a body casting, it is worth noting that the Ixion Hudswell Clarke Chassis is dimensionally just about right for the Manning Wardle, as long as you are happy not to have the characteristic MW wheels. I've got a spare HC chassis somewhere with a few odds and ends for an L class Manning wardle in 7mm scale.

A works drawing (I think), was reproduced in MRJ no. 8: http://www.modelrailwayjournal.com/issue.php?s=8

Rather longer ago (and 1986 is 33 years back...), there were several articles, with a drawing, in Model Railways relating to building an O gauge version. Regarding a P, the wheels will be somewhat too large for a Manning, Wardle L (3' 9" as opposed to 3' for the standard L).

Adam

Hi Simon,

I did see your 3D model. I shall keep an eye and look at ordering one. I had debated about drawing one up to print at home but might just buy one of yours to save the effort. Regarding the chassis I assume you mean the outside cylinder one and just remove the cylinders etc? I think it would be perfect for my needs.

The only change I might be interested in is removing the gear from the RH side of the smokebox. Other than that its pretty much the Matthew Murray I worked on...

Watching with interest!

• RMweb Gold

You could potentially do what I did on my YEC 0-6-0ST and Avonside 'Portbury' (RelaxingHobby of this parish did it first and I copied him) which was to take a Bachmann Junior 0-6-0 and swap the wheels for Bachmann HO 0-6-0ST wheels available from their spares site. It gives an evenly spaced, small wheeled loco. Only downside is no daylight under the boiler as you'll need to disguise the mechanism.

fullsizeoutput_26ab.jpeg.01aea45d09574ceffa5ec82325fe078a.jpeg

Edited by Corbs
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold

This one I think.

http://estore.bachmanntrains.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=66_68_162&products_id=1034

It's not that easy as the axles are different sizes so you need to fit the USA wheels to the UK axles. I got Portbury right but need to re-do the YEC loco as the wheels have a tendency to slip on the axles, due to me goofing it up to begin with.