Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Clubs opening in the day time

Spalding Model Railway club is open Tuesdays and Thursdays during the daytime, and Wednesday and Friday evenings as well I believe.

https://www.spaldingmodelrailwayclub.org.uk/contact/

(It says on the website page that the daytime opening is just Tuesdays, but I understand that has now been extended to Thursdays as well just recently.)

• Like 1

Not quite the same thing I think but Taunton Model Railway Group  open during the day during some of the operating days as they can be found on Bishops Lydeard Station as any on who goes to the Saturday SWAG day will know

Edited by Graham456

Sounds like an outstanding idea for clubs that have the membership base to do it - definitely a horses for courses situation.  I'm not anti-family or anything but some people are better during the day than at night, folks who work shifts etc, and of course if you have a big project its easier to have an entire afternoon rather than try and cram it into 2 1/2 hours of an evening. 

My local club is Basingstoke MRS and the opening hours are:-

Monday 7.45pm onwards;

Wednesday 7.45pm onwards;

Thursday 7.45pm onwards;

and...

Friday 1.30ish pm to about 4.30pm.

The times above are the "standard" openings...  when there is a need, for example the pre-amble to the March show or Spring/Autumn open days, then some of us are likely to be at our Club Hut during other evenings or during the daytime on other days than Friday.

regards, Graham

Edited by Western Star
  • Like 1

Shepton and District Model Railway Society (S&DMRS) has Club evenings for all members but individual layout teams often arrange daytime meetings. The 5 members of one team starting a new layout have met every Monday morning for the last 15 months for example. Another team worked 2 or 3 days each week for a couple of months to prepare a layout for a major exhibition. 

Hope that helps 

42695F94-6740-48F0-A0D8-811EB11C5E5A.jpeg

• RMweb Gold

Not many people venture as far as west Wales but our local O Gauge club started this just over a year ago.

We meet in Pencader on alt Tuesday evenings and it was becoming clear we needed to do some sig work on the layout before we exhibited again.  However, if we took the layout 'out of service' on  a normal running night then many people would be standing around with nothing to do/run.

We tested the waters with some afternoon working sessions and found 10-12 people turned up for these working parties.  On those days we run from 1pm-10pm as not everyone can attend and in any case around 4pm-5pm we put the layout up for normal use.   It seemed to be win-win as the local village hall got another 30 quid for each extra afternoon session at times they would never nomrally get a booking.  The club had sufficient funds so it was no financial stretch and some of the older gents much preferred this in winter as driving to/from the club could be in daylight if they chose not to stay after teatime.

The freqeuncy has varied 4/6/8 weeks depending on what work needed doing.

• RMweb Gold

The model club at the Pontypool & Blaenavon Railway has a Tuesday daytime opening, and a Friday night meeting. Most of the club members are also heavily involved in running the P&B society shop, as well as the model shop proper. Some of the members get very little modelling time, due to handling phones, customer enquiries, and all of the things that go towards the days proceedings. Very busy indeed.

Ian.

• RMweb Premium

Broadland model railway club http://broadlandmodelrailwayclub.co.uk is open any time you want as we all have keys. We rent an industrial unit.. 

Our main meetings are Tuesday and Friday from 18:30

The groups working on various railways choose their own times,  I think we have a regular Wednesday group who model in the morning,  stop for lunch at the pub round the corner,  then continue for the rest of the day..

I'm still working so my visit times are limited . In 4years when I retire,  I'll do at least 1 daytime meeting a week. 

12 hours ago, 5944 said:

Stevenage and District club are open a couple of days a week, 10.00 - 13.00, as well as a couple of evenings. Having your own premises is handy. 

Plus we are 'polling' members for another opening session,

with a choice of 'another morning', 'another evening' or daytime Sunday.

Also, we do the occasional working session 'out of hours' as needed.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

The MRC has an afternoon meeting on the second Thursday of the month from about 2.30 at Keen House. That complements the traditional weekly Thursday evening meetings from 7 onwards. We also tend to have a Sunday daytime meeting - although officially for layout group working session, because of the crossover between groups it is almost a club meeting although best to check before turning up that the groups are in.