Help with AnyRail

Clive192

• RMweb Gold
17 hours ago, Clive192 said:

Hi,

I’m using AnyRail to design my new layout. Does anyone know how to show electrical supply points to the track,

Not specifically, but under Track Libraries there are some Symbols that you could use to place coloured spots or lines on your plan.

Another possible way would be: Right click and use 'Add text' to insert a + or -. If you then wanted to change the colour of whatever text you've inserted, left click on it and you'll see a 'colour' tab in the toolbar above the draw area.

After looking at the alternatives, I concluded that AnyRail was the least-bad and most user friendly.  It was good enough to buy the licensed version.  There are a few rough edges but I've found it pretty good.  You can import templates for all the well-known track manufacturers, especially in my case,  Peco code 75 and Tillig, and connecting items up and laying out curves is fairly easy.  It really shows show the constraints on the room you have to lay track and makes realistic track achievable- hand drawn pencil sketches are miles too optimistic.   I'd recommend it.  If the designers sorted out the rough edges it would be 5-star,  Note that it is a layout designer and not  track designer like Templot.  I admire Templot but I'd never get a layout built if I was using it.

Peterfgf

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, peterfgf said:

I admire Templot but I'd never get a layout built if I was using it.

Certainly you wouldn't if using Peco and Tillig track. Templot is for handbuilt track only.

I wish I could get this point across, I've made it over and over again, but still I see posts in which folks compare AnyRail and Templot as if they are alternatives.

cheers,

Martin.

Martin

I didn't mean to imply the two were similar: if I wanted to get everything right with beautiful flowing transitions for hand-built track, I would use Templot.  It's a great piece of software and I've looked at it to answer questions about the prototype track (Dow open on my desk as I write).  Reality and tempus fugit means a few (well, quite a few) compromises are being made to get something acceptable running.

Peterfgf