Airfix B set

Caledonian

Just a quick one.

This week's acquisition from Tynemouth market was an Airfix B set in shirt-button brown and cream. Needed immediate replacement of the wheelsets and couplings and is going to need a very little bit of TLC on the paintwork, but I'm not complaining at £7.00.

The question is am I right in thinking that this is the same model now running under the Hornby banner?

Yes I believe it to be so, from what I know the old Airfix moulds were sold to Palitoy (Mainline) and then some of these were sold to Dapol which Hornby then bought. Hornby also got the ex Airfix moulds for the Dean Goods, 4F and a bunch of others, the rest were kept by Palitoy/Kader who went on to make the Bachmann range. 

I hope this helps, if anyone can correct me on any of the above please do so :) 

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

I think the current Hornbys have better wheels, couplings, and decent metal buffers, but that apart it's the old Airfix.  It's badly let down by the continued use of the original bogie mouldings, which feature brake block clawing uselessly and very obviously at the air and out of alignment with the wheels; the same situation applies to the A28/30 auto trailer.  There seems no need for this as better examples of both bogies are made by Hornby on the Collett gangwayed stock and the Hawksworths, but the 'Chinese Production Model' means that these are separate projects and there cannot be cross fertilisation between them.  The mounts are different and the body toolings would have to be altered anyway and you can see why H don't bother.

I will be very disappointed if the new Collet non-gangwayed coaches do not have the current 7' Collet bogie with NEM couplers and properly aligned brakes, especially at that price!

The B set can be worked up into passable models under the 2 foot rule.  Turned brass buffers make an immediate improvement, and I believe MJT do suitable bogies with whitemetal cast sides.  Modern wheels will improve the running and plastic distributes crud around your layout, so give the plastic Airfix wheels the opportunity of an exciting new career in the landfill industry.  I have replaced the glazing in mine (along with a repaint into 1948 BR crimson livery, which exposes the overthick body sides), but gets rid of the prismatic effect of the original windows which disguises the thick sides but makes the window reveals look too small.  Repaint the seats and compartment dividers, and put the no smoking and 'first' labels in the appropriate compartments and the whole look of the thing is transformed.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Already on the way, The first job was to rip out the wheel-sets which not only featured worn plastic wheels but had badly rusted axles! A quick change and oil in the bearings worked wonders for running, the couplings likewise were swapped out, and tonight its on to the tired bodywork. 

• Like 1

Let us see how you get on - I should like to crib as I have an original set that have only left their boxes once to have a look years ago. At the time I bought them in the late 70s, I thought they were pretty good - but there you go, matters improve as time goes on.

Cheers,

Philip

The AIrfix B set was a pretty good model in its day, as was the Mainline Dean Goods and other items.

There have been lots of Posts and Threads on RMweb about updating and detailng the 'B' Set.

Two posts off my own Blog which might be of interest:

There is also a thread somewhere about the windows/doors in the Guards compartment needing sorting.

Cheers Ray

• Thanks 1

You can use Lazerglaze windows from Shawplan. These replace the originals, have no prismatic effect, and produce flush glazing. They can be fixed with Klear varnish. This has a profound effect on the look of these old coaches.

• Informative/Useful 1

The visual niggle, I have with the ex Airfix, is the door handles, They are suppose to be recessed into the doors, but instead, Airfix made them stick out.

I started to rill them out, file the hole to shape, put plasticard behind and insert a Comet door handle, but life is too short. My was better spent kit building a pair.

The B set bodies are now full brakes with Comet sides.

Mike Wiltshire

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
21 minutes ago, Coach bogie said:

The visual niggle, I have with the ex Airfix, is the door handles, They are suppose to be recessed into the doors, but instead, Airfix made them stick out.

I started to rill them out, file the hole to shape, put plasticard behind and insert a Comet door handle, but life is too short. My was better spent kit building a pair.

The B set bodies are now full brakes with Comet sides.

Mike Wiltshire

Snap 2 done so far, 2 to do, 6 remaining in limbo.

If you want a cheap fix on the windows take out the glazing get yourself a black Sharpie marker pen and run it round the edge of each pane wipe off any ink from the visible glass. 

19 minutes ago, 81C said:

If you want a cheap fix on the windows take out the glazing get yourself a black Sharpie marker pen and run it round the edge of each pane wipe off any ink from the visible glass. 

Apologies for my ignorance on the detail, but my small GWR collection originally came about by accident rather than design.

The Sharpie sounds like a good idea but how do the coaches actually come apart? Are the bogies held on with press studs which can be levered out then allowing the whole thing to dis-assemble, or is there something else?

Once it's reduced it to a kit of parts, the current livery as painted is basically chocolate and cream separated by a thin gold line, and, as mentioned a shirt-button roundel. For the shirt-button period should the drop lights still be Indian Red - or cream as currently painted, and secondly I'm assuming that the compartment paneling will be varnished plywood, but what about the colour of the seats?

Edited by Caledonian

• RMweb Premium

The Airfix B set under Hornby hasn’t changed apart from the couplings. The bogies are held on by the centre plastic mounting pin which can be levered out to remove the bogies. The bogies have never had brake gear/shoes moulded on them. The chassis is fixed to the internal glazing by clips into the glazing mould. Slip a shim into the gap between the body and chassis and the body will release. The chassis has never had metal buffers fitted either, it has an incorrect curved buffer beam all integrally moulded. The body has one extra window in the guards compartment which can be filled, but this means a repaint. The best glazing is the Shawplan laser glase set EELG4018, this includes an extra window that you can use as glazing, or a filling template if closing the window off.

The image here shows the window filled and Shawplan glazing fitted.

EB52BE44-F0B3-4BAB-A648-1774BAA6A925.jpeg

Edited by PMP
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

A word of caution when you take these things apart. It's very easy to snap off the roof vents when you have the bodes upside down on your worktop.
Ask me how I know. :rolleyes:
Fortunately, MJT cast shell vents are a good match once you've repainted the whole roof.  Doh!

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
On ‎18‎/‎02‎/‎2019 at 10:46, Caledonian said:

Apologies for my ignorance on the detail, but my small GWR collection originally came about by accident rather than design.

The Sharpie sounds like a good idea but how do the coaches actually come apart? Are the bogies held on with press studs which can be levered out then allowing the whole thing to dis-assemble, or is there something else?

Once it's reduced it to a kit of parts, the current livery as painted is basically chocolate and cream separated by a thin gold line, and, as mentioned a shirt-button roundel. For the shirt-button period should the drop lights still be Indian Red - or cream as currently painted, and secondly I'm assuming that the compartment paneling will be varnished plywood, but what about the colour of the seats?

Pull the coach sides out by the chassis frame get one end free and gently work your way down the coach I used a blunt table knife keep it flat to the body to avoid dinks, there are 3 clips on each side of the body they clip into the glazing strip it's easier to remove the bogies once the body is off by pinching the clip that holds them in, the Hornby coaches might have the glazing glued in the Airfix/Mainline aren't normally, go carefully the bodies should pop off if they don't parts maybe glued together.

Drop lights are Indian red

Edited by 81C
added to
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

Oops, sorry everyone, forgot about the surplus guard's compartment windows.  Mine are filled in with milliput and sanded down flush.  I'd consider the Shawplan windows having seen the photo of one done with these; they look excellent, but I'm planning on withdrawing my B set from service on the arrival of new Hornby suburbans.  My location never had bowended B sets anyway and I'm going to replace them eventually with Comet D117s, flat ended B set correct for Tondu in the 50s.

• RMweb Gold
On ‎18‎/‎02‎/‎2019 at 16:52, Caledonian said:

Thank you all, time to give it a go - and here was me once upon a time swearing total indifference to Great Western modelling.

That's all right Stuart. The faith always accepts returnees to the 'Broad Church'.....

Happy modelling,

Ian.