MOS tank wagon, history?

Hi guys

Moving this to a new heading as its proving hard to sort out.

Clearly it would be easy to jump to the conclusion that M.O.S. was ministry of supply, especially with the Liquid ammonia traffic branding on the tank ends.

However, from the books and web sites I have found, while I can find MOT for ministry of transport I can not find any wagon branded MOS.

The tank also has a few livery anomalies moving it away from the WW2 era that I always assumed it to be in.

It's in the buff or light stone colour. Moving it to the 1902 standard.

It's fitted with small walkway on top which does place it post 1938

There is no letters before the number which leads me to think it was purpose built for the war effort.

Can anyone shed some light on this interesting one please?

IMG_2232.JPG

Can't help with a photo of this one. There is a short para on MoS in Tourret mentioning vehicles built in 1940, similar in design to the Air Ministry ones, but the illustrating plate (393) is prior to livery.

However, liquid ammonia is not a petroleum product, so the Class A & B livery rules are irrelevant. The livery could be correct for WWII.

The model is the generic Bachmann cradle mount but without a photo it is anyone's guess whether the 'fittings' are correct, whether for liquid ammonia traffic or period.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Pteremy said:

Can't help with a photo of this one. There is a short para on MoS in Tourret mentioning vehicles built in 1940, similar in design to the Air Ministry ones, but the illustrating plate (393) is prior to livery.

However, liquid ammonia is not a petroleum product, so the Class A & B livery rules are irrelevant. The livery could be correct for WWII.

The model is the generic Bachmann cradle mount but without a photo it is anyone's guess whether the 'fittings' are correct, whether for liquid ammonia traffic or period.

Many thanks, ah yes I was forgetting the class A B rules not applying! Agree the relentless use of cradle mounting is bugging me, we see some attempts on the old Mainline Ronuk tanks to show a saddle but all in all its cradle all the way lol I think its safe to assume its a 1939/40 tank and used by the ministry. 

I have found a xerox copy of the Model railway Constructor page.

This has a BW picture of two wagons, one is No 195 notes say wagons 163-4 similar.

Tank barrel, support mountings and end stanchions light buff, with plain black lettering and fast traffic star.

Ladders, catwalk, buffer beams , filler dome, buffing and drawgear black.

Solebars and all below black with white lettering

"Liquefied Ammonia Traffic" in black on tank ends

As per previous posts type of wagon differs from the model.

There are dark/light/dark bands on the wagons in the picture but not described in the text.

• Friendly/supportive 1