I've decided to have a go at a 3d printed ex NER Y7. It will be in industrial guise as I gather the two that were preserved both worked in NCB service. 

I have had some experience at kitbashing, but no successful experience at locomotive building - so I'm hoping this project will be relatively simple and therefore boost my confidence. I'm following the instructions put together by the chap who drew up the 3d print (here https://brackmodels.weebly.com/lner-y7-in-4mm-scale.html)

Here's where I've got so far. IMG_20190217_171156263_HDR.jpg.c3c5af0b14dcdd049620ddf8b035c713.jpgIMG_20190217_171226109_HDR.jpg.885bab4930e2beaa65e560da81b2f756.jpg

I would appreciate any information on what livery the locos wore in industrial service, googling has produced few photos so far.

Jake 

• Like 6

I don't think either of the locos in industrial service ran as originally built. They were both modified in some way, not least of which was the shorter chimney.

Link to an image of another Y7 taken into industry; https://picturestocktonarchive.wordpress.com/2003/02/08/locomotives-at-stockton-gas-works-c1950/

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

Twelve of the class of 18 Y7s were sold into industrial service. Yeadon's register Vol 32 has details including B&W photos of all of them and could be bought cheaply from Book Law quite recently. It has all the Y classes except the Sentinels Y1 & Y3. Lots of detail modifications but some ran without major changes such as cab and chimney heights.  e.g. ord & Madison quarry near Middleton in Teesdale bought 898 out of service in 1929 and it ran as withdrawn but with the number on the tankside.

I have an 0 Gauge one to build. Good luck with yours!

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

What an interesting picture. The safety valve cover, I wonder if it is polished or painted? It looks like it was once cared for, but has had a hard life - the green paint job looks rather shoddily applied over peeling layers on the cab, and those large sections of patched side tanks!

• 3 weeks later...

image.png.9cb571da730e3e19e42e32b528cc3dbc.pngimage.png.1b145e9c580f745ffc1b8ef45d0f1338.pngimage.png.7bad19656bbaf1a953693a17df5feb1e.png

Some photo's summarising progress. I have got hold of Yeadon's register which has been incredibly helpful. I now plan to base the loco on one of the two which worked for Ord and Maddison Ltd at their Middleton-in-Teesdale quarry. These loco's seem to have kept their LNER number and appear to have an interesting homemade back to the cab. 

On the model I have successfully had a 'dry run' of fitting the wheels and con rods. Just waiting to be able to paint them before more permanently assembling.

As can be seen I have also begun with the detailing on the body- handrails, buffers etc. 

• Like 5
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• 2 weeks later...

Does anyone else ever feel like a modelling project is one long exercise in problem solving?

A couple of days ago I managed a more permanent assembly of the chassis with loctite holding the wheels etc in place. I put it on the rolling road and it ran which caused much rejoicing!

So I decided to run it for 5 mins in each direction just to ensure everything held together. 

5mins later the motor worked itself loose and broke the mount (the mount was a part of the 3d print which I had previously broken and had to superglue back on)

So, naturally I attempted to fix the motor in place more permanently and today I tested it and the same thing happened. 

Now, I have worked out that the problem is the bevel gear on the axle isn't quite straight (I had to ream it to the correct size to fit on the axle and obviously didn't do a great job). Hence it was causing the motor to move in order to compensate. 

So having thought the end was in sight- I've now removed that axle and the offending gear and now have another one on order. 

It's frustrating. But having had it actually working I feel like the end is in sight! 

In the meantime I've done most of the body detailing. 

image.png.6726fa506544733d64e0cab870293038.png

image.png

image.png

• Like 2

On 10/03/2019 at 19:42, Jake said:

image.png.9cb571da730e3e19e42e32b528cc3dbc.pngimage.png.1b145e9c580f745ffc1b8ef45d0f1338.pngimage.png.7bad19656bbaf1a953693a17df5feb1e.png

Some photo's summarising progress. I have got hold of Yeadon's register which has been incredibly helpful. I now plan to base the loco on one of the two which worked for Ord and Maddison Ltd at their Middleton-in-Teesdale quarry. These loco's seem to have kept their LNER number and appear to have an interesting homemade back to the cab. 

On the model I have successfully had a 'dry run' of fitting the wheels and con rods. Just waiting to be able to paint them before more permanently assembling.

As can be seen I have also begun with the detailing on the body- handrails, buffers etc. 

The photo of 898 is fascinating. 

I love the extended bunker modification!

Your beast looks great, you have done some serious work there!!

Are you going to put the chauldron waggon buffers on the locomotive?

Looking forward to seeing the finished article.

Chris.

I've ruined several of these gears trying to bore one reasonably straight with only hand tools. Mine are far from pefect but a fairly loose mesh seems to help. On my Garratt thread one of our friends has listed a source of bevel gears with a 3mm bore which should help. Looking good though. 

• Agree 1

21 hours ago, Jake said:

5mins later the motor worked itself loose and broke the mount (the mount was a part of the 3d print which I had previously broken and had to superglue back on)

So, naturally I attempted to fix the motor in place more permanently and today I tested it and the same thing happened.

Which just goes to show what I have suspected about 3D printing all along - it's not suitable for locomotive frames. I don't know why the designers of these kits insist on making everything as a brittle plastic 3D print when they should be choosing methods and materials that suit the application.

• Agree 5
  • Friendly/supportive 1

I agree with that. but caveated slightly, pla is brittle abs is a bit more forgiving and can be bent without snaping, but it has a weekness along the layer lines, kind of like wood grain, and it aslo depends on how well the layers fused it can be strong if designed with the layers (grai) in the correct alignment for strength. thats where injection modling is better as it has no layers. i have been known to lamitante (ply wood style) 2 parts to make a strong fixing etc... 

basicaly understand your tools and materials :) 

Edited by calvin Streeting

• 4 weeks later...

A little progress since my last post. Fixed the gear issue by replacing the gear and reaming it a little more carefully. Now it runs wonderfully, although if anything the gearing of the gearmotor is excessively low- but it will be used on a shunting layout anyway so the low top speed shouldn't be an issue. 

I've finished the detailing of the chassis as well as adding some weight inside the body. 

The wires sticking out at the moment are simply because I have yet to fit a decoder so I have been testing it on DC. 

Besides fitting a decoder, all that remains of the detailing are the additional things I am thinking of adding based on the prototype pictures- chaldron buffers and possibly the modifications made to the back of the cab.

IMG_20190416_163101986.jpg

• Like 8

Chaldron buffers made from styrene, and I've made a start on the cab modifications. Decoder installed too. Bought a loco crew at York show, so very nearly ready for painting and finishing!

IMG_20190424_101941772_HDR.jpg

IMG_20190424_101957252_HDR.jpg

IMG_20190424_102008120_HDR.jpg

• Like 5

Decked out in Matt black. Just buffer heads, glazing, numbering and crew needed now to finish her. (And a few little details like painting the backhead and clack valves.)

IMG_20190501_152707833_HDR.jpg

IMG_20190501_152731062_HDR.jpg

• Like 7

That looks smashing Jake. I'm really impressed. There are quite a few photos kicking around of the loco at Middleton-in-Teesdale. They are tiny little engines mind aren't they! 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Thanks for the compliment. I'd be interested to know where else you've seen pictures of the loco because the two in the Yeadons book are the only ones I have come across. 

I've done a little more work painting the brass work and the buffer beams. Now waiting for my transfers to arrive from hattons tomorrow!

IMG_20190503_155234791.jpg

IMG_20190503_155315742.jpg

• Like 7