I like it. Is the body hollow so that you can get plenty of weight inside? I would imagine that it weighs next to nothing otherwise. How do you find the mechanism noise-wise? I had a phase of fitting those N20 motors but I've found them to be very noisy in operation and not as smooth in starting and stopping as a High Level gearbox.

Thanks. That's high praise!

Hopefully you can see from the photo there isn't loads of room inside once you have a dcc chip as I do, but I filled the tanks with liquid gravity and made a couple of compartments between the frames for some more, so it's got enough weight for my modest shunting needs.

Yes, I've found the gearmotor to be much noisier than almost any other loco I have l which is a bit of a drawback! 

IMG_20190509_171914176.jpg

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

Visually it's now all finished besides a little weathering. 

However frustratingly when I was running it last night the motor worked itself loose again. So I think I'm going to have to have a radical rethink about how it is fixed in.

IMG_20190509_201146710_HDR.jpg

• Like 2

Finished!

I fixed the motor problem using milliput to make a better cradle for it and using wire to hold it in place. 

All seems to be fine now, although in the process I seem to have knackered the decoder. 

A dusting of weathering and some coal on the tank top finishes it off.

IMG_20190511_122929289.jpg

IMG_20190511_122958611.jpg

• Like 6
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• 4 months later...

Nice job, sorry to hear about your motor issues. I have to say that on my test build model I had no problems at all with the motor bracket. Having used FUD for quite a few more complex printed chassis (usually layshafts, worms and belt or gear from motor to layshaft) in 9mm, 12mm and 16.5mm gauges before it is certainly strong enough and resilient in my experience, using the gearmotor simplified the chassis considerably, but if you did prefer a high level box or similar the motor bracket can be removed with a piercing saw or similar to leave room.