Bachmann E-Z Accessory Decoder Issues

dmustu

Hello All,

I recently purchased Bachmann 36-561 accessory decoder for my layout, as they were discounted at a well known box shifter, but I can't get it to work properly. I am using seep point motors.

The decoder doesn't seem to have the oomph to throw the motor when attached to a point. Also, the instructions state set the mode switch to the K83 position to set all outputs for solenoid motors, but when I do this, the decoder continually tries to throw the point. With the mode switch in the User position, it just tries once. 

I tried directly connecting the decoder to the controller, and attached a point motor not installed to a point to test it, with the mode switch in User, it will throw and close the point, but it does feel weak. The instructions also say to set CV's 3, 4, 5 and 6 to 1 for pulse mode for peco points. I have tried but cannot seem to change CV's using my MRC Prodigy Advance2 controller.

Does anyone have any advice or suggestions to get it working properly, or should I ebay it and get a different one? I have a team digital points decoder that is nearly 10 years old, and has never given me any trouble!

Thanks.

• RMweb Gold

I haven’t used mine quite  some time but I used the low power solenoids made by Peco and a separate power supply rather than use track power for the accessory decoder once they had been programmed. 

The Bachmann/ESU SwitchPilot has 3 methods of powering:   DCCdatabus,  External DC  and External AC

On board = the chosen power supply is regulated down to control the logic/processing, but otherwise this rectified and smoothed (by internal capacitors to help the regulation down to logic's voltages) is what is switched through to the specified output(s)  (common positive, I recall)

The power available THEN depends on what those incoming voltage were - really.

Examples I have tested:

A smooth, regulated 12V dc from a SMPS will not be the most effective way of driving inefficient Peco Solenoids** - for solenoid drive it is restricting or strangulating to rigidly control the suppy rail when a sudden impulse would do better (as with a CDU-based Point Decoder.

[but of use if running colour light signals from the decoder - controlled voltage and minimal flicker / none ?]

A 15-16Vdcc bus supply will give a few more volts than the 12Vdc input - but be taking current from your bus, which is less desirable 8-(

[ of use if it avoids having to send another power supply to that  location - may help reduce wiring on multi-part portable layouts ]

A 'nominal 16Vac transformer output (unregulated, and ac sine wave) will have a PEAK voltage of 1.4x 16V (at 'full load') - and perhaps 10% higher when (normally) off-load ... as the capacitors after rectification will charge to the PEAK applied voltage - topped up at 100Hz - and acting as a short term power reservoir ... will give the best possible drive to the solenoid - but lower current types are recommended  (Even an H&M 1 takes 2/3 of a std Peco Coil, in my recollection).  Not so good for the life of light bulbs on the outputs

** It even failed to operate a Roco Uncoupling Solenoid - but Roco Point Motors were okay (<1A)

The least powerful method MIGHT BE to use the dcc bus  (the least desirable in other ways) - but this depends on the amplitudes

There seems to be talk of Peco motors here. The OP said Seep motor but tried to follow instructions for Peco points.

Some of my club colleagues found that Seep motors are more demanding than Peco ones. A Peco CDU struggled with Seep motors but I have known a Gaugemaster one to work fine although I had some home-made ones available & one of these was able to cope nicely.

The easiest way may well be to change the accessory decoder & sell the Bachmann one on. It will quite possibly be fine with a less demanding motor.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Pete the Elaner said:

There seems to be talk of Peco motors here. The OP said Seep motor but tried to follow instructions for Peco points.

Some of my club colleagues found that Seep motors are more demanding than Peco ones. A Peco CDU struggled with Seep motors but I have known a Gaugemaster one to work fine although I had some home-made ones available & one of these was able to cope nicely.

The easiest way may well be to change the accessory decoder & sell the Bachmann one on. It will quite possibly be fine with a less demanding motor.

Thanks for that, it does seem that the Bachmann decoder can only just switch a seep motor, when the decoder is directly attached to the controller, and the motor is not fitted to anything.

I might try the traintronics or Hornby one, I just need to switch 4 points, with nothing else fancy going on from the points decoder.