Pace Yourself - photos of the final(?) Pacer countdown

Noticed that one of the auction sites had a few Andrew Barclay works plates sold a while ago from some of the 143's that they built.  Might be more economical way to buy a bit of prototype if ever you wanted a bit from one.  They look to be AB 669-718

Similarly seen AB plates from some of the rebuild 141's between 736-61

Looks to be a plate per car ie 2 per set.  Where they were displayed is anybody's guess.

Suspect that the 153's have AB numbers (but that's not for this topic).

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, AMJ said:

Noticed that one of the auction sites had a few Andrew Barclay works plates sold a while ago from some of the 143's that they built.  Might be more economical way to buy a bit of prototype if ever you wanted a bit from one.  They look to be AB 669-718

Looks to be a plate per car ie 2 per set.  Where they were displayed is anybody's guess.

on the underframe just in bound of  the back axle

6783508221_91eb57873a_b.jpg141113 DARLINGTON by john brace, on Flickr

John

Edited by jbqfc
  • Like 1

Went for a ride in a pacer the other day (admittedly a 143) but (and admittedly again, it was welded rail) compared to a 150 sampled earlier in the day the pacer was preferable. Far less engine noise and vibration, few rattles, airy open interior and apart from the infamous nod (which wasn't noticeable unless you looked for it) all in all a smooth ride. The only area the sprinter felt superior was the lack of flange squeal. 

If they'd built bogied Pacers, would they have the reputation then have?

It was an interesting comparison none the less. The mk2 air con later one was much nicer though, even the regular commuters commenting how nice the (very tired) interior was and nice to be on a train that was cool inside in the summer

Jo

• Like 3

44 minutes ago, Steadfast said:

If they'd built bogied Pacers, would they have the reputation then have?

They did, they were called 155s, and no they dont have the same reputation.

• Agree 2

Just now, adb968008 said:

Dont forget they were rebuilt to 153s in order to make them reliable.

They were rebuilt to 153s after it was realised there were too many 2 coach units where sometimes 1 or 3 coaches were required, they had been made reliable(ish) a long time before the conversions.

• Agree 3

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Steadfast said:

Ah yeah, I was forgetting they were Leyland built and used the same panels. Its the lack of the ugly bus style front I guess...

Jo

Not just the front end. They don't have as many bus components as a pacer. E.g. swing plug not folding doors, train style luggage racks not bus style plastic ones. Oh yes, and tables.

However when your morning commute is diagrammed to be a 153 which gets rammed, a pacer is preferable when it turns up.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
On 13/07/2019 at 17:00, royaloak said:

They were rebuilt to 153s after it was realised there were too many 2 coach units where sometimes 1 or 3 coaches were required, they had been made reliable(ish) a long time before the conversions.

Hmm, I thought the 156s were first choice for that, but given the many issues with doors /gears / transmission / gauge fit and dozens of other faults with 155’s the choice was made to switch to splitting 155’s instead and at the same time.

Certainly I recall the 155’s being unreliable, 156’s providing cover, as the 158’s didnt start out too well either... 

Heres my most seen pacer.. 

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 5

Pacers lovers might get them for a bit longer

Northern: Rolling Stock:Written question - HL16845

Q

Asked by Lord Scriven

Asked on: 01 July 2019

Department for Transport

Northern: Rolling Stock

HL16845

To ask Her Majesty's Government why it will not be possible to complete the removal of Pacer trains from the Northern rail network by 31 December.

A

Answered by: Baroness Vere of Norbiton

Answered on: 12 July 2019

Northern Rail is planning to remove the first pacer in August, and is working to remove all of the pacers by the end of the year. Due to delays in manufacturing of new trains, a small number of pacers may continue on the network into the beginning of the new year to ensure a stable service for passengers.

Our absolute priority is ensuring passengers in the north benefit from new trains, more services and increased capacity as quickly as possible. People across the north are starting to see new trains across the network, alongside the extra 2000 services a week already delivered.

https://www.parliament.uk/business/publications/written-questions-answers-statements/written-question/Lords/2019-07-01/HL16845/

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 3

• 2 weeks later...

25-7-19. Just gone 2.00pm on the hottest day of the year so far (for some :rolleyes:)and 142 007 approaches an overcast Daisy Hill station.  An hour later and heavy rain showers and thunderstorms passed over this area.

DSC0410925-7-19142 007.jpg

• Like 5

On ‎14‎/‎07‎/‎2019 at 08:14, adb968008 said:

Certainly I recall the 155’s being unreliable, 156’s providing cover, as the 158’s didnt start out too well either... 

155s had problems with the heavy plug doors when new, they worked fine on straight and level track but on a cant the door proving microswitches were unreliable. They all went back to Leyland for re-working which helped a bit, but it was not really solved until the depot staff got some experience with setting them up for real world use.

158s had issues with the air con, as built there were something like nine separate distribution fans in each vehicle, any single failure overloaded the others and then they all went. The other issue was them disappearing from track circuits, that was fixed in the short term by running them coupled to something with tread brakes on high risk routes.  

The only issue I remember with 156s was that there were never enough of them !

• Informative/Useful 1

Passing the tram-train platforms at Rotherham, which are level boarding for the trams, but would be a long way out of spec for main line trains:

1704887114_PacerattramplatformRotherham.jpg.2b0124b12947c995e3d058830a5d1fbc.jpg

Edited by eastwestdivide
typo
  • Like 7

• RMweb Gold
On 27/07/2019 at 18:14, eastwestdivide said:

Looks quite early - do you have a date on that?

Not exact sure to the day, but July / August 1989.

I was out daily during school holidays using the new Network Northwest rover.. though why Eccles Ive no idea, looking through the film didnt reveal much, most31’s around Victoria, this was my ride  from  Bolton though...

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

As i’m on a roll, heres another pacer from the early days..

unfortunately at the time all I could afford was out of date slide film, and it took until 2003 and living in the US before I could afford to get the 150 odd rolls I took in the late 80’s/ early 90’s developed, so not all survived.. but this is nice, even if its being eaten before it got scanned none the less...

these were recent arrivals in Manchester.

015 /017..

they seemed to be on training as they came through the station a few times as I recall, but not with passengers.

47378 hiding at the box.

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 10

• RMweb Gold
On 09/07/2019 at 13:46, AMJ said:

Class 142 had coach style builders plates, with Lot Numbers on. Ive got one of each from Lot number for these units, given to me by one of the organizers of Coalville openday, who worked at Derby.

As many times ive looked though Ive never found them on a unit.

Edited by adb968008

• RMweb Premium

Three south wales pacers from August 2005.

143610_Llanwern.jpg.631dfb78b883d124989ab39e03a69908.jpg

143610 passing Llanwern

142006_Hengoed.jpg.312f125964c72bd84c7270ab4b8d0320.jpg

142006 at Hengoed

143607_Bargoed.jpg.3e26c0f07b4b19e2be444bfe9ee79cb6.jpg

143607 heads 142076(?) head north from Bargoed. A bit disappointed as this was a class 37-scheduled service; we had seen 37411 and 37419 earlier in the day. The other 37 had developed an issue and the spare loco was out on the Cambrian line with an engineering train! 

• Like 6