Pace Yourself - photos of the final(?) Pacer countdown

5 minutes ago, boxbrownie said:

TV stars again, Mayors are demanding lower fares on old Pacers.......good luck with that one!

0B4CA5BB-787D-47DB-9500-2299F359C31B.jpeg.2994a0fd56cd466d166030dfba51cd42.jpeg

I'd love to see how they are going to police this one; it might start out at the beginning of the day with all the stock on its planned Diagrams, but within a few hours (even without a major incident), I'm pretty certain some will be running out of their planned paths.

• Agree 3

• RMweb Gold

I’m a member of another railway forum, and we are all suggesting that the lower fares thing is just a political stunt, by those concerned, to make all the ‘right noises’ at a difficult time in our history. 
Myself, as I’ve stated before, I’d love to see all the four wheel abominations withdrawn and scrapped, but the realist in me says that they will continue for at least another year if not longer. The new units, both electric and diesel are having far too many problems, and need much longer than originally expected to get them all into service.

Today the 195’s have gone into service between Leeds and Chester, but are experiencing some difficulties, especially with the doors, so some 156’s and 158’s are having to cover for them. That means Pacers, which may have been withdrawn today are having to continue in use.

Best regards,

Rob.

• Agree 3

5 hours ago, eastwestdivide said:

Where were the other shots taken? Bolton?

The second pic is definitely Bolton Trinity Street looking towards the Town Hall.

The first looks like the footbridge to the south of Trinity Street, with a train bound for Manchester.

Regards,

John P

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
On 21/10/2019 at 10:14, Owd Bob said:

Great pics adb! Looks like Bolton to me. :)

Yes Bolton, I grew up close by, Tuesday and Thursday nights would be a regular gathering at the unprotected “cliff edge” south of the station to watch the GUS parcels shunt amongst other things...

this is where I got confidence to travel... cycled 3 miles here at 12years old.. parents thought I was at the bottom of the street... by 14 that “bottom of the street” would be Crewe, by the time class 50’s were going I was in London watching them.. My cover story was a great one.. I could afford the film, but spent the processing money on train tickets, meaning the evidence was hidden nearly 10 years before I’d left uni, got a job and could afford to process them, unfortunately time did affect some as seen here..

2214D9A6-0BF0-4AAD-8F23-92E93335B0D9.jpeg

4F682DC3-7210-467A-9FBE-57B07E3B4E57.jpeg

7D0D794A-D819-44FC-9ACE-FEC9E3423394.jpeg

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 14
  • Thanks 1

My Dads been riding around on Northern ranger tickets at least once a week for the last month or so and he seems to think that Northern are shoving the 144s & 142s over the pennines to Yorkshire a bit more now, think the people of the West deserve a break from them! No science to it other than his observations and probably the new trains coming on stream. Next time i get chance to join him ill snap as many as i can

Cheer

James

10 hours ago, jessy1692 said:

My Dads been riding around on Northern ranger tickets at least once a week for the last month or so and he seems to think that Northern are shoving the 144s & 142s over the pennines to Yorkshire a bit more now, think the people of the West deserve a break from them! No science to it other than his observations and probably the new trains coming on stream. Next time i get chance to join him ill snap as many as i can

Cheer

James

As an inhabitant of the East (well, S Yorks), it doesn't (unscientifically) seem like there are any more Pacers than usual over the last umpteen years. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, adb968008 said:

Yes Bolton, I grew up close by, Tuesday and Thursday nights would be a regular gathering at the unprotected “cliff edge” south of the station to watch the GUS parcels shunt amongst other things...

this is where I got confidence to travel... cycled 3 miles here at 12years old.. parents thought I was at the bottom of the street... by 14 that “bottom of the street” would be Crewe, by the time class 50’s were going I was in London watching them.. My cover story was a great one.. I could afford the film, but spent the processing money on train tickets, meaning the evidence was hidden nearly 10 years before I’d left uni, got a job and could afford to process them, unfortunately time did affect some as seen here..

2214D9A6-0BF0-4AAD-8F23-92E93335B0D9.jpeg

4F682DC3-7210-467A-9FBE-57B07E3B4E57.jpeg

7D0D794A-D819-44FC-9ACE-FEC9E3423394.jpeg

Is that mould on the slide? it might be possible to clean that off or alternatively, some film scanners can automatically get rid of marks or dust etc. on the slide when scanning

• RMweb Gold
12 hours ago, GordonC said:

Is that mould on the slide? it might be possible to clean that off or alternatively, some film scanners can automatically get rid of marks or dust etc. on the slide when scanning

Yes somethings eating the slide.

i scanned them in 7 years back, to ensure I at least had a digital scan before they were eaten.

I tried cleaning but didn't find a solution.

• RMweb Premium
5 minutes ago, adb968008 said:

Yes somethings eating the slide.

i scanned them in 7 years back, to ensure I at least had a digital scan before they were eaten.

I tried cleaning but didn't find a solution.

Sadly you won't find one, the fungus grows on the colour emulsion and will always leave a mark.  Remove it altogether and you'll strip the emulsion and hence destroy the image.  My father has a roll or two of slides from about 1969 of Class 29s on the West Highland which are badly affected.

Just keep the slides in a dry environment and it shouldn't get worse, while some work in Photoshop or similar will get round it in the digital images (nice shots anyway though).

25-10-'19.  Heavy rain at Crow Nest Junc' Hindley, Lancs' 142 049 on the Blackburn-Southport at 2.11pm. The Tees Yard-Knowsley freight pulled by 66174 passes 142 020 on the Wigan-Stalybridge at 2.13pm. 142 058 on the Southport-Blackburn at 2.30pm. 

2019-10-25_15_16.42,142cnj.jpg

2019-10-25_15_20_26.cnj_142020.jpg

2019-10-25_15_36.58-1.142_058..jpg

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

Seems apt to see the 91 alongside the 144 - both 1980s vintage traction and a massive contrast!

Edited by Welly
Failed to spot the correct Pacer class!!
  • Agree 2

On 15/10/2019 at 09:24, Talltim said:

It’s not like they had 20 years to plan to replace or PRM upgrade them or anything...

Why would a government 20/15/10/5 years ago bother looking at replacement trains today, they would be long out of office so not their problem, they are only interested in their 5 year Governing period and couldnt care less about what they leave behind, that goes for the roads as well as the railways.

Dont try to say its the railways problem, unfortunately the railway hasnt been in charge of train procurement since privatisation.

Edited by royaloak
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

Back on Thursday, the 24th October, the 13.53 to Sheffield from Hull was formed of 144020. That day was characterised by a big shortage of DMU’s - there had been a notable number of failures. Most services were either Pacers or 153’s, or just cancelled that day.

B91D2F65-D151-4A87-85D0-ECDEB2D1B892.jpeg.f5dc5b9de87ad18c00021382049e5807.jpeg

Best regards,

Rob.

• Like 7

• RMweb Premium