Pace Yourself - photos of the final(?) Pacer countdown

Went to York for the day today and whilst pratting about in the station eating a burger king i saw a 144 park up in the bay on the Scarborough side, pleasantly surprised to only see that as the sole representative of the pacers. Also only clocked one Azuma and one 91, seemed to be a lot of HSTs still doing what they do best.

My Dads taking my little lad off to Manchester tomorrow, hes hoping for a new unit but im sure hell end up on a 142!

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
14 hours ago, jessy1692 said:

Went to York for the day today and whilst pratting about in the station eating a burger king i saw a 144 park up in the bay on the Scarborough side, pleasantly surprised to only see that as the sole representative of the pacers. Also only clocked one Azuma and one 91, seemed to be a lot of HSTs still doing what they do best.

My Dads taking my little lad off to Manchester tomorrow, hes hoping for a new unit but im sure hell end up on a 142!

Soooo... shall we have a vote: Who thinks you accidentally missed the apostrophe, and who thinks it was a deliberate slur on these fine units?  :jester:

• Funny 4

Oh .. groan ...

Pacers are to be retained by Great Western Railway into the New Year, meaning that all three operators of the trains will use them beyond the original withdrawal deadline date of December 31 2019.  GWR uses eight two-car Class 143s to operate trains between Barnstaple/Exmouth and Paignton. Based at Exeter, they were due to be withdrawn last year, but GWR kept them because of a shortfall in cascaded stock.  This time, the ‘143s’ are being retained because of continued delays to the Class 769 FLEX tri-mode project. These modified trains were due in traffic in the Thames Valley last May, but GWR does not expect the first to arrive at Reading for training until the end of this year.

That means that Class 165s and ‘166s’ that are currently in the Thames area, and which were due to displace the Devon Pacers, will have to stay put to cover for the unavailable ‘769s’. 

Ref : RAIL 891, published on November 6

• Informative/Useful 4

• RMweb Gold

I don’t think any Pacer is quite as rattly as a Cravens class 105 unit though! And they could ride very roughly with bogie hunting too. But, as always seems to be the case, it’s mostly the north of England which has had to have the most of the Pacers, and the new 195’s are, reportedly, quite rough riders too.

Will we ever have a really comfortable train anymore?

Best regards,

Rob.

• Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
5 minutes ago, Market65 said:

Will we ever have a really comfortable train anymore?

Best regards,

Rob.

when we travel by train from the depths down’ere we always book first class (privilege of old codgers railcard and shopping around) the HSTs are lovely comfy places but we have been stuck on the 800 class, a more uncomfortable seating you could not find, hard, narrow and just a nasty experience.

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, KeithMacdonald said:

At the risk of going O/T .. I'll have a nibble at that bait. Pray tell, what kind of railcard and what kind of shopping around?

Senior Railcard.....and the shopping around is searching some of the rail ticket sale sites as well as buying at the right time, you have not done this before?

Edited by boxbrownie

• RMweb Gold

On my way back from a Housing conference in Manchester this afternoon took an hour out at Piccadilly to get a few Pacer shots before they go. 

It's not going to be the same when they have gone - never thought I'd say that about them having said the same when the 1st gen railcars of my youth were withdrawn.

IMG_20191031_161755.jpg

IMG_20191031_154547.jpg

IMG_20191031_153653.jpg

IMG_20191031_154804.jpg

IMG_20191031_160740.jpg

Edited by 08221
  • Like 14

• RMweb Gold

I’ve just been going through my notes from 1987 when the very first Pacers were introduced onto services in and out of Hull. The first ever unit I rode on, on the 12th May, 1987, was 142091, 55787 + 55741, on the 14.11 from Beverley to Hull, starting from Beverley, not Bridlington. I’ve written that it was very rough over jointed track and pointwork, which virtually all of that line was back then, with much rolling too.  I’ve added, in my notes, that it rolled greatly even at the lower speeds too. So not a great start to Pacer operations on the railways of East Yorkshire - it did keep to time though. Sadly, although I definitely took photo’s of it, that day, I cannot, at the moment, locate where I’ve stored them.

Best regards,

Rob.

• Informative/Useful 2

13 minutes ago, Market65 said:

I’ve written that it was very rough over jointed track and pointwork, which virtually all of that line was back then, with much rolling too.  I’ve added, in my notes, that it rolled greatly even at the lower speeds too. So not a great start to Pacer operations on the railways of East Yorkshire - it did keep to time though. 

I remember the impression of more movement/roll and light suspension but these were the first time you could also see into the next vehicle and watch that one move rom the viewpoint of the other!

Mark Saunders

• RMweb Premium

Had a day out on Northern last week.

After getting lucky with 195001 and 331001 for first trips in the new units, this turned up as our last train of the day from Manchester Victoria.

I recall seeing this new in GMPTE orange/brown on test through Clitheroe

(They were banned from the Clitheroe line when it reopened to regular passenger traffic in 1994 until 2012. No-one has yet come up with a definitive answer as to why. Reasons given varied from track circuit issues to the local line user group having an agreement that they weren't to be used.........)

142001.jpg.ab3f8f0b8bc830e453e8a0d6b735558d.jpg

Edited by newbryford
  • Like 11

2 hours ago, newbryford said:

Had a day out on Northern last week.

After getting lucky with 195001 and 331001 for first trips in the new units, this turned up as our last train of the day from Manchester Victoria.

I recall seeing this new in GMPTE orange/brown on test through Clitheroe

(They were banned from the Clitheroe line when it reopened to regular passenger traffic in 1994 until 2012. No-one has yet come up with a definitive answer as to why. Reasons given varied from track circuit issues to the local line user group having an agreement that they weren't to be used.........)

142001.jpg.ab3f8f0b8bc830e453e8a0d6b735558d.jpg

The NRM have claimed her from March time (Assuming the Cheap As F###) CAF stuff ever works properly.     Charlie

• Funny 1

Never particularly paid any interest to these but I notice there are several designs of destination blind.  Have these been ad hoc repairs ? It looks like one photo shows a bus style dot matrix display.    

8 minutes ago, Covkid said:

Never particularly paid any interest to these but I notice there are several designs of destination blind.  Have these been ad hoc repairs ? It looks like one photo shows a bus style dot matrix display.    

From memory the two things that affected Northern's blind design was refurbishment and change of franchise!

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
11 minutes ago, Covkid said:

The dot matrix destination displays were fitted to the one sponsored by Merseyside PTE (at one time in Merseyrail yellow livery) at the time of a refurbishment some time ago; they also have the horrible "plastic" seats in 2+3 formation.

I went past Heaton depot yesterday afternoon, and there was an impressive display of Pacers lined up outside, evidently in store - usually Heaton depot yard is pretty empty during the daytime.  Also a 321 or 322 EMU, presumably also in store.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Here’s a class 144, 144010, at Wakefield Westgate station on a service to Wakefield Kirkgate. It was taken in November, 2008, when I was there for the Wakefield model railway exhibition. 

C1A262B8-3B4D-433C-93AE-57C8745281D3.jpeg.9db338c5bcd01fcc841d869bb3b972f2.jpeg

Best regards,

Rob.

• Like 8

5 hours ago, Market65 said:

Here’s a class 144, 144010, at Wakefield Westgate station on a service to Wakefield Kirkgate. It was taken in November, 2008, when I was there for the Wakefield model railway exhibition. 

C1A262B8-3B4D-433C-93AE-57C8745281D3.jpeg.9db338c5bcd01fcc841d869bb3b972f2.jpeg

Best regards,

Rob.

that might me 2018 not 2008 as the new station is from 2014

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, 31A said:

Nice to see the waterway in gainful use!

That's about the only commercial traffic that far up the S&SYN. That oil products barge runs intermittently, but not to any schedule that I know of.

More info on the company's website (undated) at:

https://www.exol-lubricants.com/news/details/110/New-barge-demonstrates-continued-investment-in-waterways/

and

https://www.exol-lubricants.com/news/details/103/Maiden-voyage-of-our-new-Exol-Pride-lubricant-barge/

and an older one at

https://www.exol-lubricants.com/news/details/23/CBOA-celebrates-green-line-oils--vision-/

The Rotherham site used to be Green Line.

There was some steel and aggregates traffic to the wharf visible on the left of the second picture in the last 10-15ish years, but nothing recently as far as I know. And maybe 10 years back, I saw a barge moored up at the quarry on the Doncaster side of Conisbrough tunnel, but not recently.

All that modernisation of the canal in the 1970s and the traffic never really took off. 

Anyway, back to the Pacers. 144001 was still carrying its The Penistone Line Partnership logos when I saw it last week.

The 144s carry Travel South Yorkshire on one car and Metro on the other (for W Yorks):

1611335797_PLP144001.jpg.25a8cd9566bc0f661606200689216bf5.jpg

Edited by eastwestdivide
  • Like 6
  • Informative/Useful 1