Pace Yourself - photos of the final(?) Pacer countdown

• RMweb Gold

Here’s 142049, sat, not in use, in platform 7, Hull Paragon station, yesterday, at 14.45. I know it says Scarborough on the destination indicator, but it was not going there.

4F3E6931-9A79-4F14-9FB6-A3BE43CE0BA2.jpeg.49ea9119bd28b05234c59211334d3b06.jpeg

And more 142’s are to go from Heaton to Worksop tomorrow for scrapping at Booth’s of Rotherham, later this week. 

Best regards,

Rob.

• Like 6

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Johann Marsbar said:

.....and if you want to go further back than 1984, here is 140 001 arriving at Cambridge on 8th July 1981...

81-475.JPG.5f68c27bd05bcf59d99753344f51e6c5.JPG

It was visiting Cambridge to be shown off to various Council and other representatives, from memory. Don't think it was used in service in this case.

1 hour ago, stewartingram said:

Just for the record, here are my pics of it at Cambridge.

Stewart

07_140_0001_140001 Cambridge...jpg

07_140_0002_140001_Cambridge...jpg

07_140_0003_140001_Cambridge...jpg

I remember that!  I've got in mind it did a special trip from Cambridge to Bury St. Edmunds and back, possibly only for invited guests.  I looked at the inside of it, but didn't get a ride.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Market65 said:

Here’s 142049, sat, not in use, in platform 7, Hull Paragon station, yesterday, at 14.45. I know it says Scarborough on the destination indicator, but it was not going there.

4F3E6931-9A79-4F14-9FB6-A3BE43CE0BA2.jpeg.49ea9119bd28b05234c59211334d3b06.jpeg

And more 142’s are to go from Heaton to Worksop tomorrow for scrapping at Booth’s of Rotherham, later this week. 

Best regards,

Rob.

Thanks for the info. I wonder which 142s will transfer to Worksop tomorrow? With nine Class 142s already moved to Worksop over Friday, Saturday & Sunday Northern certainly aren't messing around disposing of them are they. Tomorrow will be the fourth transfer within just five days. Controversial I know, but I am sad to see them go. 

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

8 hours ago, 31A said:

I remember that!  I've got in mind it did a special trip from Cambridge to Bury St. Edmunds and back, possibly only for invited guests.  I looked at the inside of it, but didn't get a ride.

Yes, I think there was a demonstration trip for invited guests and I think Bury was the destination.

I was working for BR at Norwich at the time on summer placement as part of a College Business Studies course I was doing, so that's how I found out about its visit in advance. Conveniently managed to escape from my passenger survey and nipped across to Cambridge to see it using my Norwich Division free pass!!

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Here’s a link to the news item on Northern’s website about the withdrawal of the Pacers. They are still suggesting that most will be withdrawn by the end of the year. It is illustrated with a photo’ of one of the workings to Worksop.

https://media.northernrailway.co.uk/news/first-pacers-leave-northern

Today, the scheduled working to Worksop has not taken place, but it’s thought it may run tomorrow.

142005 was seen on a low loader today, on it’s way to Booth’s for scrapping, and 044 is expected to follow it later this week.

Regards,

Rob.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium

Here’s a link to the news item on Northern’s website about the withdrawal of the Pacers. They are still suggesting that most will be withdrawn by the end of the year. It is illustrated with a photo’ of one of the workings to Worksop.

https://media.northernrailway.co.uk/news/first-pacers-leave-northern

Today, the scheduled working to Worksop has not taken place, but it’s thought it may run tomorrow.

142005 was seen on a low loader today, on it’s way to Booth’s for scrapping, and 044 is expected to follow it later this week.

Regards,

Rob.

Thanks for the link to the article. I hadn't seen it. I have to say that I have mixed feelings about the pacer withdrawals. From a passengers point of view (alike many others) they are often cold and drafty in the autumn/winter months, uncomfortable and understandably now after constant use over many years quite dirty. But from the point of view of a spotter/enthusiast and watching them, they are iconic and will be missed. 

Has 142005 been removed straight from Heaton by road, thus it has not gone in convoy to Worksop alike the others? If 044 follows do you know why some are going by road direct from Heaton whilst others are going via rail to Worksop and then for onward movement for scrapping? 

Thank you very much in advance. 

Kind Regards, 

Danny. 

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Good evening, Danny, the information I have does not say anything about the way the units are being delivered to Booth’s for scrapping. It does suggest that there is money to be made from scrapping them, since each car is some 20 tonnes of steel, brass, copper, bronze and aluminium. I think it’s most probably the best and easiest way of getting them there. For 142005 a lowloader from Heaton was the answer, others via Worksop, and then rail to Booth’s. It will be most interesting to see how this all pans out over the coming weeks and months as the withdrawals continue. 

Best regards,

Rob.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

Photos on the various Facebook Pacer groups show the car moved by road today was minus both drivers side and secondmans side windscreens missing, hence the road move. 

If the Worksop ones move under own power to Booths, will be quite unusual, though back in steam days, l did see a couple of moves into Hull Seven section hauled by "live" steam locos which were then screwed down and left to join the dead locos they had bought with them.

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium

Good evening, Danny, the information I have does not say anything about the way the units are being delivered to Booth’s for scrapping. It does suggest that there is money to be made from scrapping them, since each car is some 20 tonnes of steel, brass, copper, bronze and aluminium. I think it’s most probably the best and easiest way of getting them there. For 142005 a lowloader from Heaton was the answer, others via Worksop, and then rail to Booth’s. It will be most interesting to see how this all pans out over the coming weeks and months as the withdrawals continue. 

Best regards,

Rob.

Hi Rob, 

Thank you for the reply and the info. I suppose making money through scrapping is logical seen as though each pacer consists of two cars and the 144s three cars, come next year when they will be scrapped too. If their are 102 Northern pacers in total including all 142s and 144s that's potentially 214 cars for scrap if all of them are scrapped. With that sort of quantity it seems logical that their is some money to be made by scrapping them. As you say the withdrawal process and procedure will be interesting to follow over the coming weeks and months. 

Kind Regards, 

Danny. 

58 minutes ago, Simon Lee said:

Photos on the various Facebook Pacer groups show the car moved by road today was minus both drivers side and secondmans side windscreens missing, hence the road move. 

If the Worksop ones move under own power to Booths, will be quite unusual, though back in steam days, l did see a couple of moves into Hull Seven section hauled by "live" steam locos which were then screwed down and left to join the dead locos they had bought with them.

Thanks for the reply and the info Simon. I wonder if a few of the windscreens have been kept to keep the remaining pacers in traffic until mid 2020? It makes sense if the windscreens had been removed from 005 to have it removed by road. I think it's unusual as well. Especially with EP/ROG 37s, 47s & 57/3s taking Class 313s for scrap recently, I expected that a loco would be taking the pacers too. 

50 minutes ago, Market65 said:

Thank you, that explains the road movement of that car. The ones going by rail to Worksop are moving under their own power. 

Rob.

It does explain why. It's probably to do with the safety of the driver and potential second member of train crew too. Obviously it would be unsafe to have them moving units with no windscreens in even if the driver and second member of crew were not actually driving in that particular unit/car. 

45 minutes ago, Mark Saunders said:

Move on Real Time Trains for Thursday from Heaton to Worksop.

https://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/train/K05547/2019-12-05/detailed

Thank you for the link and the times. Unfortunately I can't see this move but I will keep an eye out for the units involved and if/when I have any info I will post on here. 

Such a shame the facebook users and certain other groups don't share and post more pics' and info' on here. This place for me is about as 'Tech' as i can manage.:lol: For all those that do post regular on here i do thank you for keeping us up to date on the 142's demise.:thankyou:

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Owd Bob said:

Such a shame the facebook users and certain other groups don't share and post more pics' and info' on here. This place for me is about as 'Tech' as i can manage.:lol: For all those that do post regular on here i do thank you for keeping us up to date on the 142's demise.:thankyou:

I know what you mean. I have social media but I don't use it for railways or modelling at all. I find forums like RMweb which are specifically designed for railways and modelling more useful for sharing info. If I get any further info on the pacers and their withdrawals I will be sure to post to this thread. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Good afternoon. On that other forum I belong it has just been reported that 142005 has arrived at Booth’s and is already being broken up for scrap. A photo’ has been posted. More are due both tomorrow and Friday for scrapping.

Regards,

Rob.

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

On 30/11/2019 at 09:39, Owd Bob said:

29-11-19. Crows Nest Junction, Hindley Nr. Wigan. 1.30pm-2.30pm. A bit of a frosty day and the 142's are still around in numbers here, with 003, 024, 048, 046, with 094 coupled to 089 being the latest units new to be seen in this area i think? 

2019-11-29_15_57.20-2.-048_cnj..jpg

There is a stretch on the Wigan - Manchester line between Atherton and Walkden where the track has suffered quite a lot of mining subsidence. You'd know when you'd hit it when these damn things would start their typical "bouncing" motion.. but this was bad enough to throw you out of your seat! .. plus the  banging of the wheels on the rail joints was enough to give you a headache. Then if that wasn't enough the squeal as it rode the curves into Salford Crescent was ear splitting.

Even the Iranians & the Vietnamese kicked 'em into the long grass.....

http://www.themarpleleaf.co.uk/2017/01/left-to-rot-on-siding-in-iran-where.html

Good afternoon. On that other forum I belong it has just been reported that 142005 has arrived at Booth’s and is already being broken up for scrap. A photo’ has been posted. More are due both tomorrow and Friday for scrapping.

Regards,

Rob.

Took a wander round the outside of Booths this afternoon, and the gates in Millmoor Lane were open, revealing half of (presumably) 142005 in between two Mk4s. They were also delivering another Mk4 on an Allelys low loader at the time - busy day down there by the look of it.

Mobile phone shot into the low sun, but worth it for the news value:

1807134946_PacerinBooths04Dec19.jpg.a7089e1c419898436face1ecd627c960.jpg

• Like 13
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Market65 said:

Regards,

Rob.

I have read reports that half of 142044 was to be moved from Heaton to Worksop by road today, with the second half of the unit planned to move also by road tomorrow. I am not sure if the first half of 044 and the move today has materialised or not. More when I have it. 

I think this might be half of 142044, as -005 had missing windscreens taped over, and this appears to have complete ones.

This afternoon (Sat 7 Dec 19), taken through the hole in the gate on Millmoor Lane with my mobile phone. No other pacer bits visible from outside the site.

1976379107_Booths07dec19.jpg.f013ce6413bc8191b4582e6f390d26b1.jpg

• Like 9

• RMweb Gold

Passing near Heaton depot today (travelling on the T&W Metro) I saw a couple of 144s—at least one was a 3-car unit. Are these being used in the Newcastle area instead of withdrawn 142s, and if not, what are they doing up here?

Edited by D9020 Nimbus
Corrected auto-correct!