Pace Yourself - photos of the final(?) Pacer countdown

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, eastwestdivide said:

I think this might be half of 142044, as -005 had missing windscreens taped over, and this appears to have complete ones.

This afternoon (Sat 7 Dec 19), taken through the hole in the gate on Millmoor Lane with my mobile phone. No other pacer bits visible from outside the site.

1976379107_Booths07dec19.jpg.f013ce6413bc8191b4582e6f390d26b1.jpg

This morning there appeared to be four cars on site. The two in your photo (well one and a bit!) which I assume are both 005 + two to the left of your photo (could be seen over the wall rather than through the gate), which was either idling or had a shunter present, which I assumed to be complete 044

• RMweb Premium
5 minutes ago, amwells said:

This morning there appeared to be four cars on site. The two in your photo (well one and a bit!) which I assume are both 005 + two to the left of your photo (could be seen over the wall rather than through the gate), which was either idling or had a shunter present, which I assumed to be complete 044

This was 005 just before 9am this morning. 

E4C0D190-469B-4C3C-BA21-CB43FF87F8CD.jpeg

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

On 03/12/2019 at 23:35, DRS Crewe On A Mission said:

It's probably to do with the safety of the driver and potential second member of train crew too. Obviously it would be unsafe to have them moving units with no windscreens in even if the driver and second member of crew were not actually driving in that particular unit/car. 

If it was capable of being moved under its own power it would have been, the lack of windscreen not being an issue as you simply attach it to the back of another unit, or preferably in the middle of two other units, but in this case it was short of a few major components so not suitable for movement by rail hence the road haul.

• Thanks 1

On 04/12/2019 at 17:16, DRS Crewe On A Mission said:

I have read reports that half of 142044 was to be moved from Heaton to Worksop by road today, with the second half of the unit planned to move also by road tomorrow. I am not sure if the first half of 044 and the move today has materialised or not. More when I have it. 

That is supposed to be going direct to Booths not Worksop.

Basically if its a road movement out of a depot it goes straight to Booths, if its a rail movement it will go to Worksop first, then onwards by road to Booths. I am 100% certain there will be exceptions to this, there always are!

Edited by royaloak
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
23 minutes ago, amwells said:

This was 005 just before 9am this morning. 

E4C0D190-469B-4C3C-BA21-CB43FF87F8CD.jpeg

Makes me feel old this as it doesn't seem that long ago they were new. They had a troubled introduction along with the 143s in the north east but at least there was other trains to fall back on unlike today 

As a BL enthusiast it does sadden me a little that soon there will be nothing left in public service that they built but I admit that isn't the view of people who use the daily 

Would like to see one preserved as built with TL11 engines back on

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, russ p said:

I agree 100%, they have served us well, and being used on inappropriate services is hardly the trains fault, can you imagine what state the railways would have been in if the Pacers werent there to bale TOCs out?

Edited by royaloak
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, royaloak said:

If it was capable of being moved under its own power it would have been, the lack of windscreen not being an issue as you simply attach it to the back of another unit, or preferably in the middle of two other units, but in this case it was short of a few major components so not suitable for movement by rail hence the road haul.

1 hour ago, royaloak said:

That is supposed to be going direct to Booths not Worksop.

Basically if its a road movement out of a depot it goes straight to Booths, if its a rail movement it will go to Worksop first, then onwards by road to Booths. I am 100% certain there will be exceptions to this, there always are!

Thanks for the info. I just read that 005 was missing windscreens and any other components were not mentioned so I assumed it was only the windscreens. Very true, the fact that the pacers seem to be so far moved in three's to Worksop means that the second or third unit can technically be incomplete as long as the first unit is complete for safety etc. Right I see, yes it will be interesting to see the differences between movements by road and by rail, if the loco is intact or not etc. I am going to try and make notes of this for future reference, not that I will need it but it will make for interesting reading to look back on. 

2 hours ago, russ p said:

Makes me feel old this as it doesn't seem that long ago they were new. They had a troubled introduction along with the 143s in the north east but at least there was other trains to fall back on unlike today 

As a BL enthusiast it does sadden me a little that soon there will be nothing left in public service that they built but I admit that isn't the view of people who use the daily 

it is of interest to note that the first two 142s to be scrapped were noteworthy as 142005 was the only FNW refurb  with powder coated seat handrails and 142044 was the first to receive the new single leaf doors in 1993. With 142036 and 142048, it was one of the first to receive Cummins engines around the same time. 

I too would like to see a 142 preserved with Leyland TL11 engines but with SCG gearboxes as well.

It would have seemed inconceivable not that long ago that there would come a day when there were no Leyland buses of any model on Britains roads. Personally, I think it is a bad thing. The ride quality of the Olympian would put a lot of today's buses to shame.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, DRS Crewe On A Mission said:

I am going to try and make notes of this for future reference, not that I will need it but it will make for interesting reading to look back on. 

You say that now but in years to come you will be so happy that you did, I am glad about the notes of train formations I took in the 80s and 90s, it was only because I collected coach numbers but having the complete formation has been very interesting to look back on.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, pacerfan said:

The ride quality of the Olympian would put a lot of today's buses to shame.

A Bristol VR would be better than most of the modern buses, why do they have to be set up so everyone feels every gear change from the automatic gearbox?

• RMweb Premium
26 minutes ago, royaloak said:

You say that now but in years to come you will be so happy that you did, I am glad about the notes of train formations I took in the 80s and 90s, it was only because I collected coach numbers but having the complete formation has been very interesting to look back on.

Very true, with the pacers I have been lucky enough to grow up with them. I used to spot them in and around Leeds when I was a kid and now I am older I have got to know more information about them: liveries, formations, workings etc, so the scrapping is the end of that process which will be sad to see but I will be pleased that I have seen it in other respects if you get me. It sort of completes the nostalgia and memories of the pacers. 

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

2 minutes ago, DRS Crewe On A Mission said:

Very true, with the pacers I have been lucky enough to grow up with them. I used to spot them in and around Leeds when I was a kid and now I am older I have got to know more information about them: liveries, formations, workings etc, so the scrapping is the end of that process which will be sad to see but I will be pleased that I have seen it in other respects if you get me. It sort of completes the nostalgia and memories of the pacers. 

NRM will keep 142001 and are planning to run rides on it along the line where the brake van rides happen. This means people will still experience a ride on a pacer.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

8 hours ago, MrJack47790 said:

NRM will keep 142001 and are planning to run rides on it along the line where the brake van rides happen. This means people will still experience a ride on a pacer.

Great that they are saving one, but that line being so short means that future enthusiast and visitors won't ever get the full bone shaking pacer experience. :lol: Be nice to see one saved and used on a longer line such as the ELR or NYMR. :)

• Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
12 hours ago, MrJack47790 said:

Thanks for the info and for confirming this. 

I have also read yesterday that up to five 142 pacers may be saved and sold on to private railways. I have no further details as of yet as to which railways these are, but when I do I will post here. 

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, DRS Crewe On A Mission said:

Thanks for the info and for confirming this. 

I have also read yesterday that up to five 142 pacers may be saved and sold on to private railways. I have no further details as of yet as to which railways these are, but when I do I will post here. 

My first feeling was "Oh my God - Noooooo!!!" :scared:

But I've just realised that was wrong - because this is Good News Chaps!

Not "heritage" for the sake of heritage alone, as "Old" does not always mean "Better". Instead, when some people in the future complain about the state of the trains (as they will surely always do), we can tell them to go for a ride in on of the preserved Pacers, and then they can be grateful for whatever they now have instead! ;)

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
46 minutes ago, KeithMacdonald said:

My first feeling was "Oh my God - Noooooo!!!" :scared:

But I've just realised that was wrong - because this is Good News Chaps!

Not "heritage" for the sake of heritage alone, as "Old" does not always mean "Better". Instead, when some people in the future complain about the state of the trains (as they will surely always do), we can tell them to go for a ride in on of the preserved Pacers, and then they can be grateful for whatever they now have instead! ;)

Haha and I think so too. It would be nice for some to be kept, cleaned up and maybe repainted into some original liveries which I assume is possible. One thing is for certain 005 and 044 are both in the process of been scrapped so neither of these have been bought and kept. 

44 minutes ago, DRS Crewe On A Mission said:

Haha and I think so too. It would be nice for some to be kept, cleaned up and maybe repainted into some original liveries which I assume is possible. One thing is for certain 005 and 044 are both in the process of been scrapped so neither of these have been bought and kept. 

None of the early withdrawals will be kept because they are the ones in worse condition.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Owd Bob said:

Great that they are saving one, but that line being so short means that future enthusiast and visitors won't ever get the full bone shaking pacer experience. :lol: Be nice to see one saved and used on a longer line such as the ELR or NYMR. :)

Only thing is one pacer would get quite full on the ELR or NYMR.

Especially on the NYMR as even on a normal day trains are quite full.

• Agree 1