Pace Yourself - photos of the final(?) Pacer countdown

On 19/05/2020 at 16:41, eastwestdivide said:

Just saw a 143+150 combo on the Dawlish webcam. They're not dead yet!

quoting myself - I read somewhere this morning (sorry, can't remember where) that after a period out of use, the 143s are being added 143s to other 2-car units in Devon to provide plenty of space for social distancing.

• Informative/Useful 1

On 23/05/2020 at 11:57, Phil Mc said:

IIRC, the derogation for use of Northern pacers ends on 31.5, so it’s highly unlikely any will see any more service !

cheers,

Phil.

Does Grant Chapps know they have 22 Pacers in Yorkshire with Social Distancing for at least 25+ Passengers.

I bet he has not been told this!!!!!!!!!!!!

Charlie

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Jack Mc said:

29.05.20 - 

5Z44 - 1100 Keighley to Worksop Down Reception

144001 'Penistone Line Partnership' is seen passing Swinton (S. Yorks).

...and a few minutes earlier passing through Sandal & Agbrigg.

1908805164_1440015Z44SandalAgbrigg290520201-RMweb.jpg.d4b6b346d73ed69bb6312ceaf2ad7d81.jpg

155783444_1440015Z44SandalAgbrigg290520202-RMweb.jpg.c458d608082ae90d17cec3ab2f0cd32d.jpg

Apologies that the photos were taken at maximum telephoto setting on the lens - a late running CrossCountry Voyager (1S39 Plymouth-Edinburgh) was intent on photo-bombing.   

Edited by 4630
  • Like 12

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, 4630 said:

Apologies that the photos were taken at maximum telephoto setting on the lens - a late running CrossCountry Voyager (1S39 Plymouth-Edinburgh) was intent on photo-bombing.   

Apologies - what for?  It makes for much more interesting shots than the usual identical three-quarter view.

• Agree 5

• RMweb Gold
11 minutes ago, Northmoor said:

Apologies - what for?  It makes for much more interesting shots than the usual identical three-quarter view.

Yes to an extent I completely agree with you.

But when I arrived at S&A and was sizing up in my 'minds eye' the composition that I was after, I'd envisaged photographing the Pacer a little bit closer to the end of the platform so it was larger in the frame.  The Voyager was literally at my right shoulder when I pressed the shutter.  I suppose what I'm saying is that in this case, for me, the photo is a bit of a compromise - but at least I got it.

• Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
44 minutes ago, black and decker boy said:

New derogation letters issued today by DfT for continued use by Northern until 31.12.2020

13 class 142s and 20 class 144s listed.

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/arriva-rail-north-accessibility-compliance-dispensation

I thought Arriva Rail North ceased to be the operator of Northern from 1st March 2020?

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Good morning everyone, as you will have seen we have now formally announced that the Pacer Rail Group are the proud owners of 142055 and is being homed at Foxfield Railway.

A huge thankyou to all those who have worked tiredlesy behind the scenes and the support from those who have donated to help raise funds.

We have a lot to do now to get the unit moved from Gascoigne Wood to Foxfield Railway, and to get a full training package in place to enable to have the unit operating as quickly as possible.

Please do support us by becoming a member or make a kind donation, just visit our website for further details.

Www.pacerrail.org

• Like 13

9 hours ago, charliepetty said:

Good morning everyone, as you will have seen we have now formally announced that the Pacer Rail Group are the proud owners of 142055 and is being homed at Foxfield Railway.

would be crazy sight to see it on the colliery bank, i dont think it could actually get up it though

• Agree 1
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Premium
32 minutes ago, sir douglas said:

would be crazy sight to see it on the colliery bank, i dont think it could actually get up it though

Power to weight is good by rail standards, so climbing the bank would be no problem.  However in slippery conditions they aren't known for good adhesion, so if descending Foxfield bank I'd set the points for the longest siding at the colliery if I were you.

• Like 3

Unlikely to be anywhere near Foxfield Bank until the infrastructure issues that prevent passenger working into the coliery are addressed. It will also require a whole new safety case writing and plenty of testing before it will be allowed to operate services. Its operation is also dependent on it being able negotiate the line successfully as we have numerous tight curves that already test Mk1 stock and there has, in the past, been restrictions on the use of long rigid wheelbase vehicles for this reason.

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

Ah, so plenty of flange squeal to relive then! Have you managed to get a unit with decent tyre thickness...or spare wheelsets...

Andy G

• RMweb Gold

Reported on another forum that some of the Northern 144s that are currently in store on the Keighley & Worth Valley Railway are being given a run out along the Aire Valley line on 20th June.

Timings available here

Edited by 4630
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 3

16 hours ago, 4630 said:

Reported on another forum that some of the Northern 144s that are currently in store on the Keighley & Worth Valley Railway are being given a run out along the Aire Valley line on 20th June.

Timings available here

Of course in at work and therefore can't sit in the back garden and watch them go past :banghead:

• Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Aire Head said:

Of course in at work and therefore can't sit in the back garden and watch them go past :banghead:

You have my sympathies.

Ordinarily I'd have driven over from Huddersfield to Apperley Bridge or Kirkstall Forge to photograph a couple of the workings, but I too have other commitments today.  :banghead:

I think we can confidently predict though that the 144s will be coming out again before too long.  For one thing, with the lockdown easing and anticipated reduction in social distancing measures, I imagine that the K&WVR would quite like to start running a few of their own trains.  On the assumption of course that they can get their bridge replacement work completed at Ingrow, which was paused at the end of March when lockdown started.  At least storing the Northern 144s on the K&WVR will have provided them with a bit of unexpected income.

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

59 minutes ago, 4630 said:

You have my sympathies.

Ordinarily I'd have driven over from Huddersfield to Apperley Bridge or Kirkstall Forge to photograph a couple of the workings, but I too have other commitments today.  :banghead:

I think we can confidently predict though that the 144s will be coming out again before too long.  For one thing, with the lockdown easing and anticipated reduction in social distancing measures, I imagine that the K&WVR would quite like to start running a few of their own trains.  On the assumption of course that they can get their bridge replacement work completed at Ingrow, which was paused at the end of March when lockdown started.  At least storing the Northern 144s on the K&WVR will have provided them with a bit of unexpected income.

:offtopic: From what I have gathered off Facebook work on the bridge is starting again. Of course we will be able to see a 144 permanently at Keighley now aswell.

• Like 3

From what is going around at the moment on a few forums, Northern Rail are returning some 142s back into service for the Manchester area with the first ones back at Newton Heath on Monday (22/06/20)

Edited by 25901
  • Like 1