Pace Yourself - photos of the final(?) Pacer countdown

• RMweb Gold
10 minutes ago, Mark Saunders said:

Rather like the 144s that originally did not have a marker light only position and a headlight was always displayed.

You have got me thinking now mark did the 143s have it?  Probably not as the switch was off right  or left and tail 

• RMweb Gold

I'm sure they were the same except the 144 had a steeper raked dash.

I took the first one south and years later when I worked for GB took the first one onto the southern to eastleigh 

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
23 minutes ago, russ p said:

I'm sure they were the same except the 144 had a steeper raked dash.

I took the first one south and years later when I worked for GB took the first one onto the southern to eastleigh 

When I worked for Wessex Trains and the First Great Western, I’m sure Pacers we’re banned on the Southern region?  The furthest south they could get in my neck of the woods was Warminster though I did hear of a Class 143 accidentally ending up in Southampton as it was supposed to be detached at Westbury but not put on the drivers diagram.  Lots of red faces all round.

• Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold
18 minutes ago, jools1959 said:

When I worked for Wessex Trains and the First Great Western, I’m sure Pacers we’re banned on the Southern region?  The furthest south they could get in my neck of the woods was Warminster though I did hear of a Class 143 accidentally ending up in Southampton as it was supposed to be detached at Westbury but not put on the drivers diagram.  Lots of red faces all round.

Maybe one got there before I took that one, mine would have been 2006/7 

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, russ p said:

Maybe one got there before I took that one, mine would have been 2006/7 

I expect they got a special operating notice after I left, to and from Eastleigh as I remember seeing several at the works in 2009.

• RMweb Gold

Although 5G42, which I mentioned in my post yesterday and which is in the schedule M-F this week, hasn't run today, here passing through Sowerby Bridge is 5Z43, 10.30 Newton Heath TMD to Gascoigne Wood.  The Pacers were 142057+142048+142053.

75852113_1420571420481420535Z43SowerbyBridge161220191-RMweb.jpg.7acdc01d7f325d0bbd80eec0249c9b32.jpg

641420600_1420571420481420535Z43SowerbyBridge161220192-RMweb.jpg.234cb677a71f9aa90732be02556516fb.jpg

679842109_1420571420481420535Z43SowerbyBridge161220193-RMweb.jpg.bb2957cad93d3973416312e62dc3f281.jpg

Edited by 4630
  • Like 12

Had a day out to Wigan today, for what might be my last look and a ride on a 142, i'm gonna be laid up for several weeks as i have an op' coming up this week. So i probably won't be able to go see the last runs or record them before they finally go. The cl.150's are more abundant here now, but i did see three 142 units on Wallgate station between 1.00pm and 2.45pm, mainly coupled to cl.150's. these being 061, 055, &  running un-attached to anything 041. Lucky for me i got my last bone shakin' ride back on one to Daisy Hill in 061. :D 

2019-12-16_13_59_00.jpg

2019-12-16 14.21.26.jpg

2019-12-16 14.29.30.jpg

• Like 4
  • Friendly/supportive 6

• RMweb Premium

This afternoon I finally took a ride on the last 144 I needed for haulage, after spending years desperately trying to avoid them !!

Spent around an hour on Sheffield station, didn't see a single 142.

There's also been a significant increase in the number of 195's seen on the Sheffield-Leeds via Barnsley route over the last week.

Cheers,

Phil.

20191216_131703 (2).jpg

• Like 10

1 hour ago, pacerfan said:

Following the Class 142 cull at the weekend, I was surprised to see a single 142 on the 12:35 Kirkby to Manchester Victoria service today. Unfortunately, I wasn't close enough to see the unit number.

That was more than likely as not 041, which i saw return to wigan later that aft';)

Bob, while your laid up take some time on this site (you will need it - thousands of photos !!) - No pacers but I.m sure you'll like it - 

https://www.timepix.uk/PAGES/Top-Line-navigation-pages/Browse-maps/n-3sMzQP/Wigan

https://www.timepix.uk/Collection-galleries/OS-Revision-Points-in-Greater-Manchester/1940s-1950s-Wigan/Leigh-and-Westleigh/

Best wishes for your op, look after thysen !!

Thanks everybody for the Pacer pics - but I'll be happy to see the bl**dy things go - Try riding on one downhill from Kearsley to Salford at over 80mph (yes !!), engines screaming away & rockin & rollin more than Elvis - what's that warm feeling down below - hope it's sweat !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Looking forward to our new trains when we get the drivers trained to drive them !!!!

Brit15

• Like 2
  • Agree 4
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, APOLLO said:

Bob, while your laid up take some time on this site (you will need it - thousands of photos !!) - No pacers but I.m sure you'll like it - 

https://www.timepix.uk/PAGES/Top-Line-navigation-pages/Browse-maps/n-3sMzQP/Wigan

https://www.timepix.uk/Collection-galleries/OS-Revision-Points-in-Greater-Manchester/1940s-1950s-Wigan/Leigh-and-Westleigh/

Best wishes for your op, look after thysen !!

Thanks everybody for the Pacer pics - but I'll be happy to see the bl**dy things go - Try riding on one downhill from Kearsley to Salford at over 80mph (yes !!), engines screaming away & rockin & rollin more than Elvis - what's that warm feeling down below - hope it's sweat !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Looking forward to our new trains when we get the drivers trained to drive them !!!!

Brit15

We are unlikely to get new trains on the Atherton line though. It is more likely to be slightly older150/1s cascaded down. I have always detested them from new. I feel that the claustrophobic nature and the excessive noise from their 1960s designed marine engines negates the benefits of having bogies and makes me very stressed and anxious travelling on them. I will probably start driving to the Astley Park and Ride and catch the guided bus into Manchester instead.

I find it ironic that so much is made of the bad ride quality of Pacers, when a fair number of lines in Greater Manchester have been converted to Metrolink, yet the trams offer a poorer ride with severe bogie hunting at speed and less seats.

I used to travel around West Yorkshire a lot in the early 1990s when the Class 141s were still in service. This area had mostly constantly welded track then and the Class 141s gave a largely acceptable ride. In fact they were my favourite Class of Pacer, largely because they retained SCG gearboxes, (except 141113).

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Cheers Apollo, looking forward to going through that lot of pics' over the festering time.  :drink_mini: I was very lucky to get back home yesterday and just got on the last train before the cancellation chaos all around Manch' started. A big con' and an early warning of the shape of things to come was the so called non working information boards which were said to have a fault, but yet not faulty enough to tell you to use your mobile to get info' from another site. :rolleyes: That 80mph ride sounds like one the best scary fairground rides ever.....hang on! i have an idea! Do think a 142 would fit on the tracks at the 'Big one' at Blackpool?:D Thanks Folks have  good xmas and new year.:declare:

• Friendly/supportive 2

18 minutes ago, pacerfan said:

I will probably start driving to the Astley Park and Ride and catch the guided bus into Manchester instead.

Good luck on that one, the early morn' and evening buses are packed out, they only take 15-20 mins to get to the East Lancs Rd. at Walkden from Leigh, but it then can take up to an hour and half some days to get the rest of the way to Mank! :angry: Wonder if we'll get the promised investment and a railway again in this new Tory borough of Leigh.:rofl:

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Owd Bob said:

Good luck on that one, the early morn' and evening buses are packed out, they only take 15-20 mins to get to the East Lancs Rd. at Walkden from Leigh, but it then can take up to an hour and half some days to get the rest of the way to Mank! :angry: Wonder if we'll get the promised investment and a railway again in this new Tory borough of Leigh.:rofl:

It would be  Saturdays when I would use it. I used to use it a lot when the guards were on strike last year. I am surprised that the Wigan NW to Lostock Jct stretch has not been electrified yet as it would free up a number of DMUs.

It shouldn't be that difficult to put Leigh back on the rail map, as a short link from the Liverpool to Manchester line would be all that is needed.

• Agree 2

6 minutes ago, pacerfan said:

It would be  Saturdays when I would use it. I used to use it a lot when the guards were on strike last year. I am surprised that the Wigan NW to Lostock Jct stretch has not been electrified yet as it would free up a number of DMUs.

It shouldn't be that difficult to put Leigh back on the rail map, as a short link from the Liverpool to Manchester line would be all that is needed.

I agree the line isn't too far away from Leigh, but I cant really see that happening without obvious access to Leigh town centre. Is there an obvious route into the town centre that It wouldn't require demolition of too many buildings along the way - have previous railway lines not been occupied now by the guided busway and Atherleigh Way? a station might get added with a bus-link but I cant see a dedicated branch any time soon

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

The Local controlling borough council made sure we had no access to a line anymore, i mean as if two major stations and half a dozen satellite stations is'nt enough for 'em :angry: The only line i could see is from the town centre to Kenyon Junc' following the Atherleigh Way by pass route. Anyway back on track and another two pacer pic's from yesterdays efforts. Wigan Wallgate Station '16-12-19. 

2019-12-16 14.00.04.jpg

2019-12-16 14.01.26.jpg

• Like 12

• RMweb Gold

Another day and another move of withdrawn Northern Pacers.

For the second day 5Z43 has run from Newton Heath TMD to Gascoigne Wood Sidings.  Two sets today, 142049 leading 142042, through the cold and gloom at Brighouse...and definitely not going to Stalybridge again.

1300711619_1420491420425Z43Brighouse171220191-RMweb.jpg.d71e4130647c475cfe7c7d66a0d1dc90.jpg

225371434_1420491420425Z43Brighouse171220192-RMweb.jpg.6963d6ad41462b0ef8ec1ac729323e9b.jpg

• Like 12

One more preserved to keep people suffering as part of their "heritage"?

"Class 144 pacer heading to the Great Central Railway in Nottingham"

https://www.railadvent.co.uk/2019/12/class-144-pacer-heading-to-the-great-central-railway-in-nottingham.html

We've still got some Pacers in the "Triangle of Doom" (Exmouth-Barnstaple-Paignton).

What did we do to deserve them?

Were we very bad in a previous life?

Any offers welcome.

Could we sell them on eBay?

• Funny 2

1 minute ago, KeithMacdonald said:

Could we sell them on eBay?

"Buyer collects" presumably? You'd need to stick a lot of stamps on, even 2nd class.

Mind you, I think sticky paper is what Newton Heath use to repair the bodywork.

• Agree 1
  • Funny 5