Bachmann Skarloey rods, motion, etc

So recently I started modifying my Bachmann Skarloey into a more RWS/prototypical form, I do plan on adding the NP kit but I've been wondering something. See I have heard that the crankpins are quite fragile, and have seen someone who attempted to apply the kit have to buy another whole model as a result of all his crank pins just sheering at the slightest amount of force. I wanted to know if anyone else has had this problem, and for those who have upgraded the rods using the NP kit, if they used one of those specific nut tools or something like pliers, or just made sure to oil it up to make it come out easier? And if possible, anywhere to locate spare parts or suitable non standard replacements for the crank pins should they break, cause Bachmann US's parts department is useless.

skarloeyrws1model.jpg.3d6cdd24f3f668478fec1da3c28085c2.jpg

• RMweb Premium

Pliers and tweezers work for me, as I haven't got a spanner that fits.

I've just removed one from my other Skarloey, no great force was needed. There is a trace of something like threadlock on it, so maybe that caused the problem. It looks like 1mm thread, 3mm long.

• Like 1

Alright, so it could’ve just been a bad set fitted to his, hopefully mine will be hold up, cause man do the replacement rods look better, I mean the standard ones are fine, but they do look quite big once you see the NP ones fitted. I assume there aren’t any issues if assembled and added correctly with the rods and cylinders? 

• 3 weeks later...

So, nearly a month on, Bachmann finally added and restocked parts for the Bachmann Skarloey, they now thankfully have some wheelsets in stock. So that problem is solved for now. Hopefully I won’t need them and the one I have will have a good set of crankpins but always best to be prepared. Here’s the link for anyone who needs it: https://estore.bachmanntrains.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=68_93_694&products_id=10362