Around The World By Train with Tony Robinson

DavidB-AU

24 minutes ago, DavidB-AU said:

Promo shot but I can't work out where it is

Probably not from episode 1, which is billed as:

"Covering thousands of miles around the globe, Tony begins his first leg exploring Paris, Munich, Budapest and Istanbul by train" !

Edit: the media site at https://www.c21media.net/c5-goes-around-the-world-in-80-trains/ 

says "The 6×60′ series will take Robinson through Europe, India, Thailand, Malaysia, Australia, Japan and the US by rail."

Edited by eastwestdivide

• RMweb Premium

Much too frantic by far.

"Here we are in Bucharest but we can't see anything because we haven't got time".....

Probably won't bother with the rest of the series.

Edited by melmerby
  • Like 1

I'm looking forward for the next episode as it's India.

My personal opinion is that get rid of Chris Tarrant and replace him with Baldrick, his style of presentation is far better.

Yes there will be places that will be skipped over, I've done similar when traveling.

31 minutes ago, AMJ said:

My personal opinion is that get rid of Chris Tarrant and replace him with Baldrick, his style of presentation is far better.

Yes there will be places that will be skipped over, I've done similar when traveling.

I haven't seen it yet myself, but does this mean most of the coverage is of actual trains, rather than a lot of other 'railway' programmes where most of the footage is of places visited en route and the railway sequences only play a very minor part?

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, AMJ said:

But he skipped over virtually everything

Not enough about the trains, not enough about the places.

Too much attempted to be covered in one programme.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
46 minutes ago, RJS1977 said:

I haven't seen it yet myself, but does this mean most of the coverage is of actual trains, rather than a lot of other 'railway' programmes where most of the footage is of places visited en route and the railway sequences only play a very minor part?

No.

Edited by melmerby
  • Like 1

Was rather disappointing. he is a lot less annoying than Chris Tarrant though.  Tony Robinson seemed to get a lot more enthusiastic at the archeological site in Istanbul , I guess that's a genuine interest for him  (he did present his Time Team program for a long while).

However, I shall persevere with the next one. I'm looking forward to the Australia and Japan episodes later on.

Michael Portillo's India trip this week was good, he does find interesting people to talk to.

• Like 1

I think Michael Portillo has pretty much got the “train programme” sussed (including his flamboyant dress sense). 

I was never ever a fan of Chris Tarrant, he seemed to let the “slings and arrows of outrageous fortune” get through to him rather. When you’re travelling in a place where pretty much nothing can be relied on, where trains are hours or even days late and then break down en route, you just have to go with it, not throw a tantrum or sulk. 

My personal favourite among Tony Robinson’s solo programmes, is the “walking Britain” series. The format tends to restrain his tendency to rush ahead, there is only so much that can be covered in the time and it all works rather well, I think. 

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

The Indian programme last night was rather enjoyable.

Having been to Delhi a few times I can emphasise with the way that he felt.  

Darjeeling and the Himalayan foothills are a place that I want to go back to.  Strange how for the tallest mountains in the English language we describe them as HILLS yet other parts of world we describe say Cumbrian Mountains!  The area and the full length of the DHR (50+ miles) has some different scenery throughout its length.  If you have a SWMBO they will like the culture and scenery in the area.

Tony sums it up quite nicely the DHR for an enthusiast of railways should be on your bucket list.  

As a huge Land rover fan it was inspiring to see 40 odd series landies still earning their keep as taxis in Darjeeling.  MY wife enjoyed the show but did make the point that TR has piled on the pounds since we last saw him digging holes with the time team. Looks good for 72 though. 

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Reluctantly, following the mish mash of the first programme, I watched it and thought it was way better.

The pace was much more measured and seemed about right for the subject matter.

I would have preferred a bit more info about the trains but as it was really a "travelogue by train" it struck a reasonable balance.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

On 25/02/2019 at 23:09, melmerby said:

Much too frantic by far.

"Here we are in Bucharest but we can't see anything because we haven't got time".....

Sounds a lot like Time Team - "these remains have been in the ground for a thousand years, & we've only got three days to find them!!"

:fool: :mosking:

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

I'm getting a bit fed up of travel programmes that purport to have a railway interest but actually have minimal railway content.  Michael Portillo's much copied series is, I think, just a bit tired now, and Tony Robinson's comes across as a rather rushed travelogue where he travels by train but takes little interest in railways as such although he himself is quite entertaining.  The title of the programme also seems to be a little misleading - "Around the World by Train".  Hmmm....so how did he get from Istanbul to Delhi?

I am aware that not everyone likes Chris Tarrant but whatever one may say about him I think he has a genuine love of and interest in railways that comes across in his programmes.

DT

Edited by Torper
Spelling

• 2 weeks later...

just caught up with the Thailand and Malaysia one, think this is improving, more on what it's like to travel on particular trains (wolrd's fastest metre gauge electric train, and the world's steepest railway tunnel for instance).  Australia (next episode) should be good.

• 2 weeks later...

The programme tonight is the last in the series and is in USA following the California Zephyr from coast to coast.

Having done the Southwest Chief the other year (railway follows Route 66!), I can see why he is doing the CZ.  Wonder if there will be footage of the Moffatt tunnel.

In doing the Chief I was able to stop off in Alberquerque to ride the New Mexico Railrunner to Santa Fe before chasing steam trains (Cumbres & Toltec and Durrago & Silverston)  Also stopped off for the Grand Canyon RR.

Prefer to stay in hotels with a static bed and shower

Guest CLARENCE

I must admit to being rather disappointed by this series. I was hoping and expecting to see rather more railway/train content, rather than the places he visited between train trips.

The programmes might be in German but if anyone just wants to watch some interesting train programmes I'd suggest looking at the Eisenbahn Romantik YouTube channel.  Hundreds of 30 minute programmes for your delectation

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

A passion for rail travel is perhaps the great elephant in the room of rail enthusiasm since many of those who love travelling by train and savouring the experience aren't that interested in the minutiae of the trains themselves, or railway modelling etc but just enjoy travel. These travelogue programs are intended to appeal more to that section of rail enthusiasm and to a general audience than the sort of rail enthusiasts who frequent RMWeb I think. I'm always amazed at just how many enthusiasts of rail travel I meet, few of whom have any real interest in the trains themselves or who indulge in railway modelling.