Murton, Co Durham

RAF96

Although I was born and raised in Murton Colliery  (1944 to about 1960+) and I used to as a kid wave to the trains on the Sunderland, Ryhope, Seaham Harbour to Hetton line through Murton Town to the west of the Colliery I have no idea of what stock used to run on that line. The line is now a cyclepath.

I can  vaguely remember NCB tank  engines (maybe J94s ?) and bigger passenger hauling locos (maybe 2-6-0s or K1s ?) but apart from that I am absolutely clueless. 

Anyone know what ran on the line and for what purpose or can recommend some associated reading material.

Thanks Rob

• RMweb Gold

"Railscenes around Sunderland" by Ian S Carr could be useful.  Coal trains on BR lines would normally be headed by J27 0-6-0s and Q6 0-8-0s. I'd have thought passenger trains would have V1/3 2-6-2Ts and A8 4-6-2Ts. Sunderland also had an LMS Fowler 4MT 2-6-4T during the 1950s for a time.

Edited by D9020 Nimbus

• 9 months later...

Hi, sorry to resurrect an old thread. But just in case anyone comes looking for the same information. Below are links to the shed allocations for Sunderland South Dock from the 1930s until the end of steam in 1967.

There's a mix of loco classes ranging from mostly pre grouping NER stock (J25, J27, Q6, Q7, A8, V1, J72) to a few LNER (J39, K1, J94) and the ubiquitous WD class 8s including a few BR standards an ex LMS  4P and a handful of Diesel class 3s and 8s. So a taste of everything really. Not sure what the full diesel shed allocation was after the steam depot became diesel only but here's the links

http://shedbashuk.blogspot.com/2013/12/sunderland-1962-1967-durham.html

http://www.brdatabase.info/sites.php?page=depots&subpage=locos&id=531

The passenger service from the Durham to Sunderland line via Seaton bank was lost in 1953 with only freight and coal traffic remaining, ultimately coal traffic surviving until 1991 if i recall and the line was lifted in 1993 i think.

I'm doing some research with the aim to model the ryhope area and have thus been doing much online searches and came across this topic!

On 13/12/2019 at 17:58, RyhopeRail87 said:

Hi, sorry to resurrect an old thread. But just in case anyone comes looking for the same information. Below are links to the shed allocations for Sunderland South Dock from the 1930s until the end of steam in 1967.

There's a mix of loco classes ranging from mostly pre grouping NER stock (J25, J27, Q6, Q7, A8, V1, J72) to a few LNER (J39, K1, J94) and the ubiquitous WD class 8s including a few BR standards an ex LMS  4P and a handful of Diesel class 3s and 8s. So a taste of everything really. Not sure what the full diesel shed allocation was after the steam depot became diesel only but here's the links

http://shedbashuk.blogspot.com/2013/12/sunderland-1962-1967-durham.html

http://www.brdatabase.info/sites.php?page=depots&subpage=locos&id=531

The passenger service from the Durham to Sunderland line via Seaton bank was lost in 1953 with only freight and coal traffic remaining, ultimately coal traffic surviving until 1991 if i recall and the line was lifted in 1993 i think.

I'm doing some research with the aim to model the ryhope area and have thus been doing much online searches and came across this topic!

Hi RyhopeRail87

The exact closure date for this line has always been vague, though I think I remember reading somewhere it was Jan 1st 1979 after the coal washing plant at Thornley had closed. I walked the line occasionally around this time and remember either in 1979 or 80 arriving to find the track removed leaving a sea of mud and broken sleepers. 

717149954_1979ThornleyStation.JPG.f87a9bc1ca22a3f54a9fd6908834323c.JPG

Only once saw a train on the line near Wellfield c1977-78 and only took a couple of photos on an old Kodak Brownie. This is Thornley Station looking south -1978? The bricks half way along the platform are, I think, the base of the signal box.  

Edited by 60091
  • Like 1

For info, as recommended earlier - Ian Carrs' Railscenes Around Sunderland and also Ken Hooles' Railways of East Durham. 

One class of loco not mentioned, G5s which definitely worked some of the passenger trains before the service was withdrawn in 1953.

When used for diversions an amazing variety of locos worked on the line including all LNER Pacifics usually  piloted by A8s, V1-3s and even a G5 to assist on the climb up Seaton Bank. Pilot locos originally worked south later (1960s?) they were detached at Haswell. Originally heavy northbound diversions were also piloted to assist on the climb up Heseldene Bank but I think their use was discontinued at an earlier date.

Alan 

Edited by 60091