Modern Day Toton

• RMweb Gold

Wonder when there going to start clearing the site for HS2?  I assume that once it’s closed and cleared, all maintenance will be done at Crewe Electric and infrastructure will be shared between Bescot and Doncaster.

4 hours ago, jools1959 said:

Wonder when there going to start clearing the site for HS2?  I assume that once it’s closed and cleared, all maintenance will be done at Crewe Electric and infrastructure will be shared between Bescot and Doncaster.

Another good question will be where will they put all the stuff. There must be a few miles worth of class 60 there alone 

5 hours ago, jools1959 said:

Has the Nottingham leg even got Royal Assent yet? If not then site clearance is probably 2025/26 with construction thereafter.

its 2033 before HS2 reaches the north (subject to whims of politicians)

• RMweb Gold
5 minutes ago, black and decker boy said:

Has the Nottingham leg even got Royal Assent yet? If not then site clearance is probably 2025/26 with construction thereafter.

If Grayling is to be believed (and we don’t), the whole route has been agreed and being pushed through at a great pace to arrest the spiralling costs.  I’m happy to be contradicted about this.

9 minutes ago, black and decker boy said:

And by that time the 60s will have rusted to nothing and they won't need to move them :P

• Funny 2

15 hours ago, jools1959 said:

If the way GBRf and Freightliner are aggressively stealing work off DBS, Toton might as well close now lol.

With DB losing interest in much of the UK's freight traffic it's no wonder we (Freightliner in my case) are picking up more work. In some cases DB drivers and groundstaff are moving across along with the work (for example the Mendips traffic we've recently picked up). Heard a rumour recently that DB will be pulling out of Bescot altogether and GBRf will be moving in.

I was at Toton a couple of weeks ago, I dumped my ballast train in the Meadow sidings at the south end and walked round the back of the shed to pick a staff van up, it's quite a jungle down there with derelict '60s at every turn. And foxes. Lots of foxes..! 

Edited by Rugd1022
  • Informative/Useful 2

On 21/02/2019 at 13:13, Rugd1022 said:

With DB losing interest in much of the UK's freight traffic it's no wonder we (Freightliner in my case) are picking up more work. In some cases DB drivers and groundstaff are moving across along with the work (for example the Mendips traffic we've recently picked up). Heard a rumour recently that DB will be pulling out of Bescot altogether and GBRf will be moving in.

I was at Toton a couple of weeks ago, I dumped my ballast train in the Meadow sidings at the south end and walked round the back of the shed to pick a staff van up, it's quite a jungle down there with derelict '60s at every turn. And foxes. Lots of foxes..! 

It’s no rumour but it’s a result of the latest NR infrastructure tender covering CP6.

GBRF are taking over the management of the virtual quarry / LDCs at BS and EH as well as retaining Whitemoor.

On 20/02/2019 at 13:47, woodenhead said:

..... right at the engine of DB Schenker's empire

On 20/02/2019 at 20:28, jools1959 said:

.....GBRf and Freightliner are aggressively stealing work off DBS, .....

Sorry for the pedantry, but that's the wrong company.

AFAIK, there is no DB Schenker presence at Toton.

DB Cargo (UK) is now DB's rail freight operator.

DB Schenker continue elsewhere in their original logistics role, without freight trains.

On 21/02/2019 at 12:13, Rugd1022 said:

With DB losing interest in much of the UK's freight traffic......

18 hours ago, rob D2 said:

Seems a shame to see what DB have left after the glory days of the EWS optimism at the start......

When DB bought EWS from Canadian National, back in 2007, at least one press commentator speculated that the main reason for acquiring the company, was to get their hands on EWS's mainland European operation, Euro Cargo Rail.

Has there ever been any real effort in developing the UK domestic based operation over the last 12 years?