• RMweb Premium
On 24/01/2020 at 00:05, bradford_boy said:

Edited by 03060
Duplicated message.

• RMweb Premium

Hi All,

If you have some interest in whats left of the E&WYUR. There is a fantastic YouTube series online now all about it. Exploring what's left and walking the route. Oh and lots of loco pictures.

Regards,

Darren

Well, I finally got chance to look up these You Tube videos this morning .....and I have to say Wow, I owe that man a pint !

I've only had chance to watch the Intro and Part 1 so far but the chap who has made them, to say that he's not a rail enthusiast, has certainly looked into the subject and done an excellent job in producing the films, I'd love to know where he's gathered some of his extra information from (other than the Franks book) and especially where he's found some of his photographs, I'll see if there's any way of contacting him when I watch the next installment.

I did manage to speak with John Farline (co-author of Railways Around Wakefield and Pontefract) yesterday at Pontefract show and may try and contact him again via Wakefield Club, I suspect that Peter Cookson (the other co-author) came up to us whilst we were talking, his conversation with John was of a more personal subject so I didn't like to intrude further, maybe I will get another chance go speak with both of them sometime.

Thanks again for the 'heads up' gratefully appreciated.

Regards,

Ian.

• RMweb Premium

Edited by 03060
Triplicated message !! (My fault.)

Sometimes, somebody even does a model of a E & W.Y.U.Rly wagon :D
In a census count of Goods vehicles at Bristol in 1920, there was one E & W.Y.U.Rly open recorded there.

E&WYURly Wagon at York 09.jpg

Edited by Penlan
  • Like 3

• RMweb Premium

The chap who has made the You Tube videos also has very kindly produced a list of his sources of information underneath. 

Old Maps (reproduced with permission from the National Library of Scotland.)

A.L Barnett & Railway & Canal Historical Society

Northern Mine Research Society

Outwood Community Video

Leeds Library & Information Services

Britain from Above

NRM York

Lost Railways Yorkshire.co.uk

Railway Ramblers Leeds

Woodlesford - The Story of a Station

Transports of Delight (Paul Johnson)

Friends of Rothwell Country Park

....and 11 individuals whom I will not name here with the exception of Mr. Derek Rayner of Woodlesford (see 'The Story of a Station') to whom a lot of the excellent photographs are accredited to.

Regards,

Ian.

Edited by 03060
Extra info added.

• 2 years later...

Also Midland 0-4-4t was used with 4 Clayton coaches for the inaugural passenger runs. Thes, one of the company 0-6-0ST had a vacuum pipe fitted and I have a picture, so it may well have ran into Leeds Station!

• Like 2

• 3 months later...
  • RMweb Premium
18 hours ago, ianmacc said:

Hi. As someone who’s walked most of these routes and lives in the area how is your layout progressing? 

I use scavenged coal from the trackbed in my Loco tenders etc 

Hello Ian,

I'm afraid that I've nothing to report as such, any layout based on this location was always going to be a 'future' project for me and I decided in the short term as a starting point to build a small but not prototypical 'loco shed' type layout based very loosely on the workshop area of Ardsley shed where I could display some of my 3mm  scale locos and encourage me to build more, this will feature strongly with locos seen on the E&WYUR. The basic baseboard is built, the plan is designed but the trackwork needs laying ... so it's very much a potential WIP .... however I am currently sidetracked with my N gauge West Highland layout so doubt that there will be much done soon.

Thanks for the interest though, I still need to walk the Rothwell to Stourton section but pass by it every workday on the M1 so it is very much on my mind.

Regards,

Ian.