N gauge chassis

Font T

Hi everyone,

I’ve recently bought the Langley Models Darjeeling Himalayan loco body kit.

However I can’t seem to find the Arnold 0-6-0 n gauge chassis needed to complete it.

Wondering if anyone knows where I could get it from, or if there are any other chassis out there that would fit and do the job also?

I read somewhere online that the Arnold chassis is somewhat poor in operation anyway, so I was wondering if people had an opinion on whether my best bet would be to:

- persevere in finding the Arnold chassis

- use another chassis (don’t know if this would be possible)

- go with a scratch built chassis

- try and wait for a backwoods kit for the loco to come up somewhere (something I’ve been doing for a while but with no luck).

With regards to the final option I don’t suppose anyone knows of any update to whether any of the backwoods kits are to be re-released, the DH B Class loco in particular?

Thanks for your time.

• 4 months later...

Sorry, I’ve only just seen this as I’ve been on RMWeb less recently. In common with many 009 whitemetal kits, it will have been designed a while ago for a chassis that was then easily available but no longer is (similar to other ones that use the Arnold 0-4-0 and various Minitrix chassis). N-Drive Productions have direct replacements for some of these chassis, although I’m not sure about the Arnold 0-6-0 specifically, while I understand the lead times for N-Drive chassis are currently fairly long as it is a one-man operation with existing orders to fulfil. Alternatively the 009 Society sales stand might be worth a look, but postal ordering is only available to members. Some people hack the inside of the body to fit a different chassis. Alternatively have you considered other kits and options for locomotives?

Thanks for your help, moved the kit on in the end. I’m waiting for the Bachmann quarry hunslets to arrive and checking everyones’ reviews on here and on the NGRM. Probably going to end up getting those or the Skarloey/Rheneas line but who knows. Many Thanks again.

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Font T said:

Thanks for your help, moved the kit on in the end. I’m waiting for the Bachmann quarry hunslets to arrive and checking everyones’ reviews on here and on the NGRM. Probably going to end up getting those or the Skarloey/Rheneas line but who knows. Many Thanks again.

Hi Font,

Yes - the chassis that go with the Langley kit are getting harder and harder to find.

If you don't find one - an want to sell your kit - let me know.

Thanks

Phil H

5 hours ago, Font T said:

Have you also looked at the new Minitrains locos? They are extremely smooth running - can be a bit pricey but then so are the other 009 RTR options. Some are not available currently but that is down to the short production runs and they have quite a wide range.

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, 009 micro modeller said:

Have you also looked at the new Minitrains locos? They are extremely smooth running - can be a bit pricey but then so are the other 009 RTR options. Some are not available currently but that is down to the short production runs and they have quite a wide range.

No I haven’t yet, but will do. Thanks very much for that

22 minutes ago, MGR Hooper! said:

0-6-0??? I don't recall any DHR loco being 0-6-0. The DHR B Class is an 0-4-0 and the DHR NDM6 is also an 0-4-0.

For my NDM6 kits I designed them to accept an Tomytec Bo-Bo motorized bogie.

You drop the middle axle out of the Arnold chassis for the Langley kit referred to above.

Edited by 009 micro modeller
  • Informative/Useful 1

57 minutes ago, Steamport Southport said:

ISTR you had to do the same with the GEM kit for Talyllyn Railway Dolgoch.

Now available again.

http://lytchettmanor.co.uk.websitebuilder.prositehosting.co.uk/lytchett-manor/narrow-gauge-loco-kits

Jason

I think so; that was where I’d heard of it before. It does have a very long wheelbase. I’m not absolutely sure how this would affect the pickup ability though. I have a feeling people have also dropped out the middle wheelset on Minitrix dock tank chassis, where I understand it’s actually slightly smaller diameter than the front and rear ones. Whether this is intentional or it’s just badly made I don’t know...

Edited by 009 micro modeller

With the Minitrix 0-6-0T (German T3 or British Dock tank) the middle axle is actually geared. It is possible to remove the (slightly smaller) wheels from the axle, but you still need it in place to transmit the power; I have done this myself. With the old Arnold chassis the middle wheels were not geared so removing them was simply a matter of taking the keeper plate off, taking them out, then screwing the plate back on.

Edited by BernardTPM