Website directory

twommnewbie

Rewind, a while back I wanted a Farish class 40 with the sound chip installed. It was a fairly limited release and hard to get hold of. After general searches on the internet proved unfruitful I started to visit various shop/dealer websites. This took nearly an hour of trawling...so how about a website listing all dealers like a directory and having the option to search their stock all in one place, thus saving considerable time, any one know of anything like this?

What about UK Model Shops?

http://www.ukmodelshops.co.uk/

As for having stock levels. Would you really want people to know your stock levels?

Fine if you are a large shop which has a secure warehouse but for many shops it's a thieves paradise. "You have how many model locomotives costing £150 each? Right get in the van lads we'll clear that shop in minutes."

Jason

• Like 1

• Moderators
2 hours ago, twommnewbie said:

Rewind, a while back I wanted a Farish class 40 with the sound chip installed. It was a fairly limited release and hard to get hold of. After general searches on the internet proved unfruitful I started to visit various shop/dealer websites. This took nearly an hour of trawling...so how about a website listing all dealers like a directory and having the option to search their stock all in one place, thus saving considerable time, any one know of anything like this?

I fear you have no idea how much of a challenge would be for anyone to undertake, retailers would shy away from a race to the bottom in a comparethetrainset.com anyway. Sorry, you have to put in some mouse miles.

• Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

11 hours ago, twommnewbie said:

Morning all, many thanks for your replies, I didn`t know about the UK model shop directory looks like a useful resource, I guess I`ll have to put in the mouse miles!

The ukmodelshops directory is excellent and i always let Adrian know when I discover shops not on his site.

many years ago pre Internet as a child I put my own note book together using adverts in magazines etc to list all the model shops I found for when I was on my travels! 

Sadly it it was a much longer list than nowadays. All the beatties stores for a start!