Barnoldswick (Barlick) Station - Trackplan

Guest Kevin_T

Guest Kevin_T
3 hours ago, Jub45565 said:

On the topic of goods shed photos, there is one of the goods yard after the shed was demolished, which does help show the place in sat in relation to the (remaining) sidings and loading dock (P47 of the Donald Binns book, just below the photo from which the sketch in the pdf Kevin has shared comes from).

Judging by the old MR photo on p.47 and the goods shed footprint in the photo below. The shed footprint doesn't seem far off the guesstimate in Phil's trackplan. The footprint of the two removed goods sidings (the one leading into the shed and the other ending just to one side of the shed entrance) can be seen as two darker strips of ground. I'm trying to figure out how to estimate the outline dimensions of the shed, using dimensions of a nearby known object. In the words of Poirot - time to get the little grey cells working...

• RMweb Gold

Here's a slightly tweaked version of my drawing:

685125556_BarnoldswickKT7.png.3f18e8488a3b15b234841d11258258ac.png

• Code 75 part numbers.
  • Adjusted road angle slightly to give more room in the goods yard.
  • Showed a few key buildings and trees.
  • Made a bit more room for the goods shed by moving the back siding closer to the edge.
  • Showed key angles.

Here's the PDF:

Barnoldswick KT7.pdf

Edited by Harlequin
  • Like 2

Guest Kevin_T
32 minutes ago, Harlequin said:

Here's a slightly tweaked version of my drawing:

685125556_BarnoldswickKT7.png.3f18e8488a3b15b234841d11258258ac.png

Thanks Phil, I have plenty to work with - a solid start that I feel captures what I had in my mind's eye for the layout. Clearly shows the value of running things pass those with the experience and knowledge.

• RMweb Gold
On 01/03/2019 at 13:42, Kevin_T said:

Here's a 1938 revision from the map held in the National Library of Scotland...748457991_goodsyardbarnoldswickportion-NationalLibraryofScotlandrevised1938.png.3795165f6c312dc844cef168d2ac3683.png

Copyright: Reproduced with the permission of the National Library of Scotland - https://maps.nls.uk/index.html - for non-commercial, educational and private use of map images only

Very different map scale of course. But this clearly shows that the 1938 revision did not include the railway.

Guest Kevin_T
On ‎21‎/‎02‎/‎2019 at 18:52, Flying Pig said:

...BTW how was the coal yard worked if the sidings were surrounded by embankments?

Hi all,

I have been looking for further information on Barnoldswick Station and its facilities. One strand of research led me to the Midland Railway Study Centre (www.midlandrailwaystudycentre.org.uk). Attached is a copy of the MR plan for extension work to be carried out c.1912. The plan provides an interesting level of detail, for example the location of the proposed coal shoots and the footprint of the Goods Shed.

Thanks to Dave Harris, Coordinator at the Midland Railway Study Centre, for his help in providing the plan.

1294905542_barlickstationMRplan5.jpg.ce21c30842fe927f07be693b799b2fff.jpg

Edited by Kevin_T

The plans for the station building are held by Derbyshire library services, I have microfilm copy somewhere. They are for the post 1905 alterations. I lived in Barnoldswick (known locally as Barlick) from 1957-1966 and regularly visited the station. 

• Like 1

• 5 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

This might be of interest. This shows the middle stage of the Coal Yard development. Kevin's drawing above has some hand written notes in red that are dated July 1918 so presumably the work wasn't done until after the Great War. 

Barnoldswick Stn 1907.jpg

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

I’ve just found out that the plans for the Rainhall Road bridge (No. 11) are held at The National Archives, Kew.

They are in RAIL 491/1205 and shows plan, elevation and sections in 3 parts. It is dated 1911 and has not been digitised. 

The MR seems to have been considering quite a lot of work at Barlick in this period including a footbridge and subway for Station Road, probably killed off by WW1. It would tie in with the visit by the MR photographer in 1913 and shown in Midland Record 7.

Edited by Lanyor

Guest Kevin_T

I wonder if that new work correlates to the following topic found in Wikipedia...

"Barnoldswick & Gisburn Light Railway Company' formed in May 1904 to build a light railway from the town of Barnoldswick in the West Riding of Yorkshire to the Ribble Valley Line at Gisburn. The planned railway was to be c.3 miles of single track but wasn't built because the Lancashire and Yorkshire Railway refused to build a junction near Gisburn. There was another proposal in 1913 without a junction but this was abandoned due to the outbreak of the First World War."

The proposed extension could provide a modelling 'what if?' opportunity for Barlick as a through station.

I have a copy of the Barnoldswick & Gisburn Light Railway Book of Reference dated 1912 and this shows that contrary to published information the MR station would not have become a through station. The B&GLR terminus would have been near Bankfield Mill which is next to the Leeds & Liverpool Canal. Bankfield Mill is presently the site of Rolls Royce Ltd. The two sites are at least a mile apart.

Edited by Lanyor
  • Informative/Useful 1

Guest Kevin_T

A good example of not believing everything you read... [especially] online ...without verification.

Connecting with the canal would have seemed a good business idea at the time, I suppose.

Edited by Kevin_T
Typo corrected