BBC News - Railway Modelling

Darius43

39 minutes ago, Coryton said:

Of course they can but I'm not sure how you got that from what I said.

Perhaps I could have put it more clearly - I wasn't intending to refer to this article in particular but the general idea of copy being provided to papers or magazines as if  written by their staff when it wasn't. 

As for the "even the trains" line, it just seemed a bit odd - as if getting the trains right was some kind of added bonus.

Ah right, sorry I took it that you were referring to the article in question.

• RMweb Premium

Well looking again at what I wrote I'm not surprised you interpreted it that way because I phrased it very badly given what I meant to say.

Anyway given the discussion that has arisen from my slightly negative comment, I'd like to say again that I am very impressed with it and was very pleased to see the article.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Loved the model/real slider picture, very cleverly done.

Refreshing to see our hobby viewed positively and maturely. When you read the twaddle that is written for the consumption of the fans of "22 grown men chasing a ball round a field" (of which I am one) it shouldn't be hard to write something positive about a hobby that has a lot to commend it in terms of valuable skills and therapeutic value.

Now I'm off to make "choo-choo" noises in the loft... ;)

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

11 hours ago, Compound2632 said:

I did like the sentence: "Even the trains are in keeping with the era."

To be honest I think what was said was -  ''Even the trains are in keeping with the area''. It's just the funny accents we've got, yes it was me that spoke the quote about all the different skills....:huh:

Dave Franks.

Edited by davefrk
  • Like 4
  • Agree 1

Well I knew it was only a matter of time till Porcy dragged that pic out again.

And I had a good slagging off today at the show too...

In case anyone is wondering, that was the recent TV version of 'The 39 Steps' and nothing what so ever to do with the cop show Taggart.

Dave Franks

• RMweb Premium
45 minutes ago, Mike Storey said:

Really refreshing piece and such a pleasure to read. Is it unique? I cannot recall a more objective article, about our hobby, in any non-enthusiast media (on-line, print or papyrus) in living memory.

Can anyone?

I can't. That was pretty much my reaction - I don't ever recall seeing anything like it in the mainstream media. I was quite surprised.

• Like 1

The scripting was taken from interviews given by three of the Alloa team including myself and it was Davy Franks and me that were featured in the clips..the subtitles were probably inserted to assist our friends like the Retford crew

understand our northern accents..( we are known to messrs Jackson Kent & Worthington as the 'Scots gits'!) 

The BBC team attended over three visits.. with the main filming session lasting five hours!..and they were excellent and always intended to present the video as factual and complimentary to our hobby.

I submitted several B&W 'then and now' images but the one they chose worked very well. 

Thank you to all who have posted such positive comments..really appreciated..and thank you to Morgan and Magnus from the BBC .

No bookings for next year for Alloa but maybe after the expose we might yet find ourselves visiting our friends south of the wall again soon.

Dave.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 3

4 hours ago, davefrk said:

Well I knew it was only a matter of time till Porcy dragged that pic out again.

And I had a good slagging off today at the show too...

In case anyone is wondering, that was the recent TV version of 'The 39 Steps' and nothing what so ever to do with the cop show Taggart.

Dave Franks

...isn't it time Uncle Porcy found a new quote...just kick him next time you see him, he'll never catch you, not since he turned the big six oh...

Edited by Axlebox
  • Funny 2

...I should have kept my fat mouth shut, for not doing so and unintentionally encouraging him I apologise to the whole Scottish nation and in particular Mr D Franks and Mr M McManus (deceased)...and Mike's right, only an Englishman would say 'murder' like that...

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Axlebox said:

...I should have kept my fat mouth shut,

Correct.

2 hours ago, Axlebox said:

I apologise to the whole Scottish nation and in particular Mr D Franks and Mr M McManus (deceased)...

Mick McManus aka Willie (not Wullie) Matthews was a Sarf Landen boy. My granny taught him the finer pats of his Saturday afternoon television trade.

That was Willie (not Wullie); not Mr Franks, for whom I still feel surprise at never recieving a BAFTA nomination.

Having said that it doesn't alter the fact you boys came over well on the telly (BBC News website for me) showing the hobby in a glowing light.

Who knows: next year it might be Al Jerreza?

P

P.s. My  old coalman was called Mick McManus as in all probability was  yours.

Edited by Porcy Mane
  • Like 2