BRM Podcast

AY Mod

• Moderators

Phil set off on one of his creative quests recently to explore whether podcasts, as an audio medium, could be relevant in our hobby world. We're not claiming any originality for it but no-one else within the the hobby's media in the UK have dipped their toes in so we thought we'd put some of the technology and techniques to the test. It may be a bit rough and ready informal at points but there's some great content in there as Phil talks to big, bad Barry from the Missenden Modellers and the topical B word arises in my phone call to Richard Davies at Hattons and we find someone who's done some planning for March 29th! Add in some news, a look at BRM and some silliness and we can now give you our first episode - The 'B' Word

We'd like to get some feedback from you on the format and any future ideas you'd like to see included. There's plenty of things we've discussed as potential material but it would be good to get your input.

The_B_Word.mp3

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I await 'The C Word' with baited breath. Will you need to bleep out lots?

I listened whilst soldering wires to point frogs at my workbench and thought it to be a good start. I liked that you felt able to discuss something as controversial as Brexit; I thought there was leeway to be a bit more controversial if needed without alienating listeners because it was centred round the implications for our hobby. Maybe this could be one of the strengths of the podcast format; controversial subjects tackled without it becoming a free for all punch up.

At a practical level for future podcasts I'd find it useful to have start times for each section so I could easily zero in on any piece of particular interest.

342596805_smashieandnicey.jpg.6cae17a2d2df7eb32177c953db3180f2.jpg

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

Well, I listened to the Podcast while trying to catch up on the rest of the forum.

Very distracting, I kept having to stop reading to listen more carefully.

Funnily enough, while working at the worlds' second most boring job today, I found myself pondering, as you do...

Are there any 'Influencers' in the hobby, as there seems to be on Youtube for all manner of things, particularly cosmetics (which were on the media over the last day or two)?

Who has the 'Mass Market' Appeal of some of these people with multiple millions of 'Followers'?

Andy York? Tony Wright? the late Bob Symes?

Regards

Ian

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
38 minutes ago, Ian Smeeton said:

Are there any 'Influencers' in the hobby, as there seems to be on Youtube for all manner of things, particularly cosmetics (which were on the media over the last day or two)?

Yes, here are a few examples modellers who are popular on YouTube (and some of them post on here regularly)

Everard Junction

Chadwick Model Railway

DJ Model Railway

New Junction

SDJR7F88

Sam's Trains

DaveClass47

Kathy Millat

Budget Model Railways

Strathpeffer Junction

There are many more!

I enjoyed the podcast, I've wanted a UK based model railway podcast for a while (A Modeler's Life is good but obviously quite American/Canadian focused). Was nice to listen to relevant things whilst doing some modelling.

I thought the chat and topics were good. It might be nice for longevity to also have a theme of sorts to the episode that doesn't date it too much, if it becomes very 'news' heavy then it will quickly become outdated and less relevant. The chat with Barry about the layout was really nice in that respect.

Taking some recent topics, for an example, Tony Wright's recent article on the joy of prototype modelling could be expanded into a 'theme', you could ask to speak to Tony, and other people who are replicating real locations, like Gilbert of Peterborough North fame, or the Grantham gang on this topic?

Another theme could be garden railways, or weathering, or boxfiles? If that ties in with the good chat and the news then it could work well?

All in all, it's something that the UK scene has been missing IMO and I look forward to more.

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 2

• RMweb Premium

I do like a podcast, and listen to them regularly in car.

I'd like to see this one added to Itunes so I can download it on my phone.

Unless anyone can tell me how to download this to my Iphone, I'm sure there must be a way

Thanks

Owen

• Moderators
35 minutes ago, Hippo said:

Unless anyone can tell me how to download this to my Iphone, I'm sure there must be a way

I set it up so that if you click on the link it should download to the device you are browsing on - I assume it would do the same on an iPhone. There's too many hoops to jump through to get stuff on iTunes, Google Play looks a far easier option which I'll look at in due course but the facility is not yet available in the UK.

1 hour ago, Hippo said:

Unless anyone can tell me how to download this to my Iphone, I'm sure there must be a way.

The file is in .MP3 format. If you download the podcast using a pc/mac, it can be added to iTunes as you would do for a music file. You can then sync to your iPhone.

iTunes will treat it like a song rather than a podcast though, so it will appear in your music library.

• Administrators

We'll come back to hosting options in the future. The first point is to see if people like the idea and we can justify doing some more of these. While podcasts aren't massive time sponges, they do need us to put in some effort and so we'll need to justify doing this rather than something else.  Remember, this isn't being made as a hobby, at some point, there are commercial considerations. What we need to know is:

Did you enjoy our first effort?

Do you listen to other podcasts?

How do you listen? In the car? On the computer? While working out at the gym?

All this feeds into our justification for making this part of the BRM output. For what it's worth, I can see that we are in a position to produce some excellent content. As a magazine, we have the contacts to ensure a regular supply of guests and interviews. Since none of those taking part has to be in the same room, unlike for a video, this becomes quite easy. An hour-long crazy Canadian episode would be as easy as it was to talk to Liverpool. 

So, if you want more podcasts - make some noise and radio BRM might return.

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium

So...... I really enjoyed it. I look forward to forward to the next one. In answer to Phil

Did you enjoy our first effort?  Yes.

Do you listen to other podcasts? Yes, a few on Geocaching

How do you listen? In the car mainly. Although some times I'll listen while making a model.... Mainly I have to listen to what ever the Mrs is watching though... the car is my time.

I await the next one.. do you have any sort of release schedule planned out?

Andy & Phil, 

It was refreshing and nice background listening to whilst working this morning. It was all very easy going, not forced, and has the potential to tackle slightly spicier topics that would probably break servers here.

As long as you don't do LBC type phone ins... "Go ahead Caller, tell us again why S Scale should be the "New Standard"...." :laugh_mini:

RM. 

• Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Irish_R_M said:

Andy & Phil, 

As long as you don't do LBC type phone ins... "Go ahead Caller, tell us again why S Scale should be the "New Standard"...." :laugh_mini:

RM. 

Could be even worse, could be talkSPORT ‘shudder’.

Or Saint Joe Duffy (one for our fellow Irish!)

Excellent job lads, and something soundly lacking in the fraternity, good to see it filled and develop and grow!

Cheers!

Fran 

Interesting, I will have to give this a listen, good to see a UK based podcast.

I have listened to the Model Rail Radio podcast for a good few years now, it has passed show 150. Learnt a great deal from listening, especially in the early days about DCC, JMRI, Frog Juicers and Bluerail to name but a few technologies.

I am now a regular contributor on the UK friendly timed shows, the next one will be recorded this Saturday 5-7pm.

The show has one host and contributors call in on Skype, there are a few of us on from UK, we have even spoken about the slow take up of podcasting in the UK.

The host was in the UK a couple of weeks back amd visited our layouts, this will give us plenty to talk about on future shows.

Good to see this come up and will follow your podcast.

Martin

• RMweb Gold
On 23/02/2019 at 15:14, Phil Parker said:

Did you enjoy our first effort?  Yes, very much. Liked the informal nature, we all could have been in a pub somewhere chatting :)

Do you listen to other podcasts? Occasionally, I've downloaded a couple of old Friday Rock Shows from the 80s

How do you listen? In the car? On the computer? While working out at the gym? At work on the PC with an earphone in and in the car. Gym? sorry. don't know anyone by that name .........

• Thanks 2

• Moderators
45 minutes ago, RedgateModels said:

we all could have been in a pub somewhere chatting

I'm all for doing a few podcasts in good railway pubs at lunchtime. What do you reckon Phil? I'm sure we may get more guests if we said "Come and meet us in the Brunswick at Derby at lunchtime".

• Like 1

• Administrators

I'm up for that. Perhaps we could occasionally take the podcast on the road and do this with a couple of guests.  The "chatting a pub" vibe is to me what podcasts should be about, at least the sort of thing we are aiming for. 

Obviously, no drink will be taken before recording, who knows what would appear on air if that happened!

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Phil Parker said:

I'm up for that. Perhaps we could occasionally take the podcast on the road and do this with a couple of guests.  The "chatting a pub" vibe is to me what podcasts should be about, at least the sort of thing we are aiming for. 

Obviously, no drink will be taken before recording, who knows what would appear on air if that happened!

Trip to Dublin to visit our local, lads? The podcast will be 8 hours long and may become a tad slurred by the end, but could be a bit of fun....

• Like 2