BRM Podcast

AY Mod

Listened with interest, but found the sound clarity/quality varied throughout the recording and was particularly bad during the last minute of the podcast. I think the set up of, and balancing, of the microphones prior to recording, would help to improve the clarity/quality enormously.  Trying to record telephone conversations is another matter entirely, and very difficult to balance the participants for recording, especially if the telephone line is poor to start with.

For me, the podcast was also far too long at nearly 30-minutes of general discussion. 

I would like to see if it would work better if it was to be split (i.e. edited) into a number of identifiable chunks, each of a maximum of  7-8 minutes that were titled accordingly ~ eg Hattons interview, Missenden Modellers interview etc.  That way I could just listen to the bits I am actually interested in, rather than  being forced to listen to a complete rambling pub-type podcast.

If the above comments could be addressed over the next few weeks, I think you may have another winner.

• RMweb Gold

That's interesting, because I come from the other end, I'd rather have a longer podcast and treat it like radio to have on when I am doing something with my hands.

I think that some podcast hosting facilities enable time stamps to be added (like you can do on YouTube) so you could skip to the relevant section, but would be able to publish it as one file, then that could be the best of both worlds and no one misses out?

• Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
On 23/02/2019 at 16:14, Phil Parker said:

Did you enjoy our first effort?

B for brilliant. I think the relaxed informal, humorous  format works well.

Do you listen to other podcasts?

Rarely.

How do you listen? In the car? On the computer? While working out at the gym?

On the computer. Which is a bit distracting. Must try it whilst modelling, I can then blame BRM for any c*ckups I make. 

You asked what we'd like to hear:

• A regular "month in review" chat, opinionated  within reason (we don't have to agree with you).
  • "Phils odd facts about railway modelling" 
  • As others have suggested, discussion with a few people about the more contentious subjects - e.g. club culture, ageism, etc.
  • Model railway quiz - two clubs battling it out (or does that work better on video?)
  • Interviews with young newcomers - what do they want from the hobby?
  • Interviews with train-set buying dads and moms. What is their impression of the hobby? Tracking them down could be tricky as they're on the web. Hamleys? 
  • Interviews with shop owners - how are they dealing with the internet revolution?
  • Maybe move some of the standing-straight-up-and-down interviews from the videos to the podcast? In the videos I sometimes skip these, as they aren't that interesting visually. In a podcast they would work better I think.-
  • Since you don't have to worry about good video, maybe brief interviews with manufacturers abroad (if the sound is good enough).
  • In extension of this, is there potential for an international outlook on the hobby - and maybe thereby a wider market for the podcast?

All easier said than done of course. And yeah some of that stuff costs time. But you started it! :D

PS: Looks like a quote automatically subdivides if you do a double "enter" after a line break.  That's convenient.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

Listened to it last night. A promising start. The quality of the phone interview wasn't great sadly, perhaps a technology limitation?

Look forward to seeing what the next one is like.

Getting it out on podcast streaming services would go a long way for listenership. I use Stitcher and Spotify on my laptop and phone while on the move which covers the large number of podcasts I have queued up. 

• Moderators
6 hours ago, Neal Ball said:

I get as far as the Caledonian carriages and it starts again!

We've not had any similar reports, what sort of device did you download it on and what software was used for playback?

10 hours ago, Neal Ball said:

I get as far as the Caledonian carriages and it starts again!

That happened to me as well, tried three times and restatted at the same point each time so gave up after that.

I was using an iPad running Safari, I have not yet tried on my laptop or desktop.

Martin

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, Greengiant said:

That happened to me as well, tried three times and restatted at the same point each time so gave up after that.

I was using an iPad running Safari, I have not yet tried on my laptop or desktop.

Martin

I too was on my iPad, wonder if that’s the issue

• Administrators
On 08/03/2019 at 12:32, 60B said:

Getting it out on podcast streaming services would go a long way for listenership. I use Stitcher and Spotify on my laptop and phone while on the move which covers the large number of podcasts I have queued up. 

It's just become available on iTunes - https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/radio-brm-the-b-word/id1455350140?mt=2&ign-mpt=uo%3D4

Anchor - https://anchor.fm/dashboard/episode/e3bpmu

We initially set it up here alone for numbers.  We'll now see how it does on the wider services. It's still at the experimental stage!

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
18 hours ago, Greengiant said:

Downloaded from iTunes and played fine on my iPhone.

Martin

+1 for that. I’d previously struggled with the mp3 version on my iPhone. 

• RMweb Premium

+2. Downloaded fine from Itunes.

Funny listening to it a 2nd time in the car I took a lot more in then when I listened at the computer.

When can we expect the next one, will this be a monthly thing ?

I downloaded it & listened via iTunes - as that is where I download my podcasts. I travel a lot for work, so often subscribe to fitness, technology and podcasts relevant to hobbies & pastimes.

I thought the podcast was great and it complements the DVD, and more importantly the magazine & website (which is a great resource of information).

From my view point I would like to hear the following:

• Events overviews - events to consider over the month, feedback on past events, interesting layouts or demos seen.
  • Company interviews - such as the Hatton, great to hear about the world of Modelling from the manufacturers, shops and associated companies on what they are doing, insights and general information
  • History - snippets of information/history regarding modelling the different Eras, could be related to a particular layout - what inspired them and the history behind the model inetrms of what it is representing. Or about the train/designer etc.
  • beginners/refreshers info - some of us are new and may not understand the terminology for example
  • Modeller interviews - young and old - everyone has a story to tell

Thanks again, a great resource of information, and my go to point as I start my modelling journey as a young 50 year old :-)

Edited by upthecreek
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Must say I thoroughly enjoyed the podcast. How about interviews with real railway people to find out the actual railway was really operated, I'm guessing you'd get a real variety of stories depending on their role.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I enjoyed it - it also worked technically and sounded fine (it seems I have to pedal my laptop quite fast these days for it to keep up with what's available, so it was good to find this wasn't a problem when I clicked on the link). 

In terms of feedback, I think it helped that I knew something of the subjects being raised, so I suspect it might appeal more to people already involved in the hobby in some way, rather than as a total introduction (if I was aiming at complete newcomers I think I'd want something visual, so probably wouldn't go for a podcast for that purpose anyway).

With regards to topics for future possible editions, I think there are some good suggestions above - perhaps the key thing is to have a theme that hangs it together (especially for those of us who may be half-listening while also doing something else).  Certainly worth a try as far as I can tell.

• 1 month later...

I seem to have missed this when it first posted, but I've finally caught up. I must say that I really enjoyed it. Phil and Andy do seem to have a genuine chemistry that i have noticed in the BRM DVDs. There was a bit of an issue with a lot of breathing being picked up on the first interview. But besides that, my only complaint is that it was too short for someone who is used to two-hour plus podcasts! I really could have listened to a longer recording.