Next MRJ

drduncan

19 hours ago, mike morley said:

Landed on my doormat this morning.

We can only guess what the situation is in West Ealing's WH Smith's.

It's got as far east as Hammersmith WHS, so must have passed through Ealing on the way.

• RMweb Gold

What a superb issue.

Based upon initial look-through:

i) Most inspirational article - Geoff Kent's sublime 'Black Lion Crossing' - ticks virtually all my 'ideal layout' boxes

ii) Most useful article in terms of what I am actually doing on my own layout now - 'Hard Yards' by Richard Ellis

iii) Most unexpected comment/depressing comment - on page 81 there is a beautiful 7mm (?) model of an LNER N7 tank loco in the Neil Corner collection, built by Ken Leeming. Tony Reynalds then goes on to say, 'As you can see, painting was not one of his strong points'. (my italics). You what??!!

• Like 3
  • Agree 6

Just now, Captain Kernow said:

Tony Reynalds then goes on to say, 'As you can see, painting was not one of his strong points'. (my italics). You what??!!

My reaction too - would that my painting was up to that standard !!

Regards,

John Isherwood.

• Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Arrived in Penzance on Wednesday, it seems to be like the news of Nelson's death,

we get to see/hear things first 'Way down West'.
Agree with the Captain re. the paint job.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Captain Kernow said:

iii) Most unexpected comment/depressing comment - on page 81 there is a beautiful 7mm (?) model of an LNER N7 tank loco in the Neil Corner collection, built by Ken Leeming. Tony Reynalds then goes on to say, 'As you can see, painting was not one of his strong points'. (my italics). You what??!!

Maybe it's the semi-matt finish? I get the impression that large scale showcase models must be all shiny and glossy.

• Moderators
45 minutes ago, Pteremy said:

Are those 'Cats eyes' in the road in Black Lion crossing? 

Certainly are; the first time I saw them in the flesh it reinforced that Geoff exists on a different plane from other modellers. I've only painted a small black square in place before, Geoff's have a discernible centre section and surround.

• Informative/Useful 1

8 hours ago, teaky said:

Does anyone have a view on Barry Norman's question regarding expanding lead?

I have just removed lead - both cast blocks and cut sheet - from an Airfix Bulleid Light Pacific that I am re-chassising with a Kemilway kit.

The lead was secured with superglue, and had been in-situ in dry indoor storage for 10 - 15 years.

No appreciable deterioration or swelling was evident, and the lead will be reinstalled into the refurbished model.

Regards,

John Isherwood.

• Informative/Useful 3