New Dapol Models can they be adjusted to EM Gauge easily ?

muddys-blues

Hello I am contemplating doing a small EM Gauge project utilising the New  Dapol Class 22’s and bubble cars, has anybody adjusted the wheels sets easily enough to EM Gauge without having to replace the wheel sets ?

Thanks in advance for any responses

Craig

• 8 months later...

no idea about the 121 but the class 22 has all metal wheels on stub axles with muff gears, pickup through the chassis, I have heard the Dapol wheels can be teased out to EM on their muffs but "Ultrascale" dont make drop in replacements and the Gibson has one spoke to many and again not a straight replacement. With the Hornby 29, Heljans 16, the Kernow 41 and Dapols 22 & 21/29 you would think there was a market for a proper NBL spoked wheel by now, rant over.

• RMweb Gold

From personal experience.

The bogie sideframes are very thick and narrow inside which gives restricted space to get wider wheelsets in there.

The first one I just pulled out the existing wheels but had to take quite a chunk of plastic out of the insides of the sideframes.

The second I turned down the existing wheels to EM (ish) profile but still had to take a (smaller) chunk out.

The next one may get the whole of the inside of the sideframes milled out, this will lessen the effect of there only being recesses where the wheels are, which, under closeish inspection is a bit of a .

Mike.

50 minutes ago, Andrew P said:

The O Gauge ones can't Craig,:o    :nono:  SORRY :laugh:haha.

They can but you need to put in a complete new chassis a la P4 but it does leave the bogies looking very narrow or the bodies very wide in comparison to all the other stock around it.

Overhang on any corners will be an issue too I am afraid but no issue with wheel arches being too narrow :laugh_mini:

• Agree 1
  • Funny 2

I have two OO class 22's which  have had the wheelsets re-gauged to EM on Sheepcroft. They run well enoughl but as  Mike (Enterprising  Western) pointed out the  sideframes need some surgery to thin down the width. A drag but needs doing.  One caveat though is that you end up with less axle in the plastic centre section so the gauge can drift out a bit in use plus if you do try this check the centre sections for splits as that IS a problem though you can get replacements as I had to do.

Cheers

Stu

• Informative/Useful 2

14 hours ago, Andrew P said:

The O Gauge ones can't Craig,:o    :nono:  SORRY :laugh:haha.

If only.

If only Dapol actually make an O Scale Class 22, that is. :rolleyes:

(not at all still miffed that that wasn't what their "MASSIVE" announcement was, the other week, you understand... :shout: :mad: )

• Funny 1

12 hours ago, lapford34102 said:

One caveat though is that you end up with less axle in the plastic centre section so the gauge can drift out a bit in use plus if you do try this check the centre sections for splits as that IS a problem though you can get replacements as I had to do.

Cheers

Stu

A few further questions please Stu,

When you say gauge drifts out, do you mean widening/narrowing or both?

From where did you get replacement parts?

Does this equally apply to the Class121/2 DMU?

Thanks.

Hi,

Bits from DC supplies, official Dapol spares people 

Wider/narrower? My EM'd 22 with the split collar simply ran badly 

With an OO one it narrowed, the two stub axles touched and caused a short 

Not got a unit but note the ED has a similar setup so unit likely to be similar

Stu

• Thanks 1

I've converted a 122 to EM simply by spreading the wheels. I've had to reduce the BTB by  . 5mm to get the over thick profile wheels through pointwork but it runs very well indeed. See my blog article  https://newheymodelrailway.wordpress.com/2017/08/18/another-convert-to-the-cause/

It was also in the EMGS newsletter around 18 months ago. 

Edited by Persephone
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Persephone said:

I've converted a 122 to EM simply by spreading the wheels. I've had to reduce the BTB by  . 5mm to get the over thick profile wheels through pointwork but it runs very well indeed. See my blog article  https://newheymodelrailway.wordpress.com/2017/08/18/another-convert-to-the-cause/

It was also in the EMGS newsletter around 18 months ago. 

Thanks Andy, I'm an emgs member, but don't recall that one being in the newsletter, any ideas which one please?

On 16/11/2019 at 19:41, woodenhead said:

They can but you need to put in a complete new chassis a la P4 but it does leave the bogies looking very narrow or the bodies very wide in comparison to all the other stock around it.

Overhang on any corners will be an issue too I am afraid but no issue with wheel arches being too narrow :laugh_mini:

Not entirely unlike this !

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harz_Railway#/media/File:199_872-3_am_16.08.2007_in_Eisfelder_Talmühle.jpg

On 19/11/2019 at 01:17, leopardml2341 said:

Thanks Andy, I'm an emgs member, but don't recall that one being in the newsletter, any ideas which one please?

I cant remember which one exactly but think it was Autumn 2017 - According to my signalmans log I did the job in Townsend Fold box on 18 August 2017, so its sometime after that!

• Like 1