Has anyone used Wagonflow 4 Software ?

sigtech

Hello , just a general question to fellow modellers, -Not sure this is in the right place but cannot seem to find any other suitable topic... has anyone purchased the 'wagonflow 4' software to use on there layout, and what is it like?

I ask as I am considering buying a copy, to use with my layout 'Sproston', but the info on the website is limited, and I am finding it difficult to make a decision whether the cost is justified on what is essentially a small layout.  Can anyone give me an idea of how useful this programme is, and do you find it makes a difference to operating the layout?  I have also attached a link to the website.

http://www.trainflow.co.uk/

Regards

SIGTECH

Steve,

I bought and tried it many years ago but found it wasn't really practicable for my layout which features freight sorting yards, docks etc.  Wagonflo requires each individual wagon to be identifiable so the system can keep track of it and direct it to its next destination. This is just not possible with closely spaced or distant sidings holding many BR wagons with their tiny numbers.

It then instructs wagons be moved to destinations on the layout and redirects them days later, but many of my local destinations don't actually exist as they are 'reached' by outgoing pick up freights that enter the same fiddle yard as those returning 'abroad'. Manually removing wagons from the fiddle yard is not practicable, and any obligations on the frequency and timing of operating sessions is an anathema to me. 

Nevertheless there are some excellent ideas behind Wagonflo such as those that require one to estimate the type of goods and the quantity of wagons needed at each of ones local destinations on different days, and the frequency of movements, and I've used those to make my own system on an Excel spreadsheet that overcomes the problems I've outlined. Basically I just identify the type of wagon along with any visible load, and their position in a train arriving from 'abroad', and the spreadsheet gives them local destinations based on the odds for each.

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold
On 24/02/2019 at 14:17, Broadway Clive said:

I bought and tried it many years ago but found it wasn't really practicable for my layout

On 24/02/2019 at 14:17, Broadway Clive said:

Nevertheless there are some excellent ideas behind Wagonflo such as those that require one to estimate the type of goods and the quantity of wagons needed at each of ones local destinations on different days, and the frequency of movements, and I've used those to make my own system on an Excel spreadsheet

I think many of us feel the same.  Any chance of sharing your spreadsheet - either publicly or privately?

• 1 year later...
On ‎22‎/‎02‎/‎2019 at 14:55, sigtech said:

Hello , just a general question to fellow modellers, -Not sure this is in the right place but cannot seem to find any other suitable topic... has anyone purchased the 'wagonflow 4' software to use on there layout, and what is it like?

I ask as I am considering buying a copy, to use with my layout 'Sproston', but the info on the website is limited, and I am finding it difficult to make a decision whether the cost is justified on what is essentially a small layout.  Can anyone give me an idea of how useful this programme is, and do you find it makes a difference to operating the layout?  I have also attached a link to the website.

http://www.trainflow.co.uk/

Regards

SIGTECH

Steve,

Just reiterating this previous post of mine, to see if anyone has recently used Wagonflow v4, - and any opinions they may have formed on its usefulness/effectiveness in layout operation?

Regards

SIGTECH

Steve.

Edited by sigtech

• 3 weeks later...