Identifying a Sound Project

JZjr

Hi,

I recently picked up a cheap Hornby 66 on eBay, it was listed as a non-runner and I intend to use it as a donor unless I can get it running and dependant of how the custom directional lighting looks and works (the cabs have green leds in them as cab lights by the looks of it).

It appears in the eBay photos that it is fitted with a sound decoder which got me thinking, I am able to identify the decoder easily but how about identifying the sound project?

Are there ‘project identifier’ CVs and are these consistently used?

Cheers

Your read of CVs 7 & 8 will ID the decoder version and the manufacturer. From there other CVs may be available to further ID the sound set depending on the decoder and who’s sound file is loaded.

Tell us what you have read so far.

Edited by RAF96
Editted to make better sense.

Here it is:

66-trash1.jpg.b42629d7af14514847538c795e0c7768.jpg

66-trash2.jpg.7b92c3569e209910ae8c04456672d70f.jpg

The body has had some slightly non-prototypical lighting fitted, however all I was after was the motor bogie and the sound chip.  Though after seeing it I have decided that I quite like the livery but there is no hope of recovering this body.  I did manage to buy it for £38 though so I am still pleased - the motor itself costs £16 and I need a couple for another project.

The sound chip has been identified as a Zimo MX645.  The sound project definitely sound like a class 66, I've not used Zimo chips before so I'm sure there'll be another thread popping up about remapping sounds!

Anyway, now the decoder itself has been identified, are there any ways to identify the project?

Cheers

£38 is a very good price for a ZIMO MX645, well done.

As you would expect from the longest established ZIMO retailer, Digitrains have a very good Class 66 on ZIMO; you can read the User Notes on their website* to see if the functions agree with what you have.

You might find values in CVs105 and 106 on the decoder which may help.

That's definitely not Digitrains standard of conversion/wiring, but many decoders are sold for self conversion by the owners.

* https://www.digitrains.co.uk/shop-by-brand/digitrainsound-zimo/zs66a.html

Best regards,

Paul

I've been in contact with YouChoos, Coastal & Digitrains.

YouChoos have said if I send a recording they can tell me if it's their's.  I'm still waiting for a reply from the others.

Out of interest, does a LokSound have any 'Project ID' CVs to easily identify a project?

Thanks

Edit: Thanks Paul, I was looking for that on the DigiTrains website but couldn't find it!

I would like to think no commercial provider would offer a conversion quite like this!  The speaker opening is gunged up with double sided tape.

Edited by JZjr
Additional reply while I was typing.

• RMweb Premium

You know that there is a free class 66 sound project on the Zimo homepage? This is one of the few free UK sound files - as the 66 is also in use on the continent and there is an H0 version. I can well be that somebody (who has either a Z21 (black) or an MXDECUP or an MXULF) has loaded the sound file to the decoder himself. I own an MXDECUP and for most of my locos I buy an empty MX645 for 85Euros and download the sound file from their sound database (I model continental so there is more chance to find a free one) and load it on the decoder. Look under mulitinational in line 6.

And: if it is a YouChoose I wouldn't reblow it but buy a second hand 66 without sound.... The youchoose sound is normally brilliant. 

Vecchio

Edited by Vecchio
spelling is tricky....