Problems with Cooper Craft

Rosedale

I have come onto RM Web to see if anyone else is having or had problems with this business. I ordered on-line and paid for some items over a month ago and have still not received them. I e-mailed them and got no reply. Then I phoned last week and the proprietor seemed very helpful and alluded to "a few problems" and promised to despatch my goods. But I still haven't received them. Very frustrating. And I don't know what to do next. Any advice and has anyone else experienced similar, recent problems?

It's such a shame as most other businesses in this great hobby give wonderful service to help us make our models.

Thank-you.

ps - I will be the first to withdraw my note if I suddenly receive my goods! 

• Friendly/supportive 9

We might be in for a spate of these incidents, as Model Rail have, in the latest edition, used a Coopercraft hut in their goods yard article, and have cleverly included all the website details etc. I would have thought their editorial team should have been aware of the situation, but obviously not.

• Agree 5
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold
On 25/02/2019 at 19:10, AY Mod said:

Good old Karl, I do that too when I've googled something and the answer is on here. ;)

OT Alert: I did that the other day, and found a thread on here, that I started, with the exact same question. D'oh!

• Funny 5

• 3 weeks later...

Just to say that I went away on 2 weeks holiday and my ordered goods from Coopercraft were waiting for me on our return and i thought that be fair i should let everyone know. I am very understanding that all hobby businesses are run as 'cottage industries or as part-time sidelines to a main job. So I am very understanding that the many proprietors are probably juggling their time for little return. In this case, I just wish Coopercraft had replied to my e-mails to keep me posted.

i hope everyone gets their goods as well and that the business has turned a corner.

• Like 5
  • Informative/Useful 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

On 27/02/2019 at 16:18, Geep7 said:

OT Alert: I did that the other day, and found a thread on here, that I started, with the exact same question. D'oh!

I’ve googled a question to find myself answering it several years before...

• Like 1
  • Agree 3
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Gold
10 hours ago, Rosedale said:

Just to say that I went away on 2 weeks holiday and my ordered goods from Coopercraft were waiting for me on our return and i thought that be fair i should let everyone know. I am very understanding that all hobby businesses are run as 'cottage industries or as part-time sidelines to a main job. So I am very understanding that the many proprietors are probably juggling their time for little return. In this case, I just wish Coopercraft had replied to my e-mails to keep me posted.

i hope everyone gets their goods as well and that the business has turned a corner.

Very interesting. Were any of the bits long moulding e.g. coach sides?

No my items were not mouldings. The plot thickens. I hope he turns a corner, resolves all outstanding orders and satisfies all new ones promptly. It may be that he needs to take on an assistant to deal with administration etc!?

• RMweb Gold
32 minutes ago, Rosedale said:

No my items were not mouldings. The plot thickens. I hope he turns a corner, resolves all outstanding orders and satisfies all new ones promptly. It may be that he needs to take on an assistant to deal with administration etc!?

I think that there could be a lot of mileage in someone setting up a business to process orders for all the small producers on a commission basis.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, Rosedale said:

Mr Dunn has spurned all offers of help for several years now.

Taking money and hanging onto funds with no intention of supply.

• Agree 2

1 hour ago, Joseph_Pestell said:

I think that there could be a lot of mileage in someone setting up a business to process orders for all the small producers on a commission basis.

Like a model shop you mean?

Cooper Craft kits were sold in many model shops, even the high street big boys like Modelzone and before that Beatties sold them. Unfortunately if the manufacturer can't supply then it doesn't matter who processes the orders as we still aren't getting them.

Jason

2 hours ago, S&CR said:

I offered to accept etches instead of moulded wagon kits but that was ignored. I am tempted to pay a visit in person and 'liberate' a few parts. Maybe we could see about a 'class action' type case with Trading Standards?

May be wrong, but I think I remember similar happenings 3 Coopercraft threads ago, or there about.

Didnt exactly go well to my memory. 

5 hours ago, Steamport Southport said:

Cooper Craft kits were sold in many model shops, even the high street big boys like Modelzone and before that Beatties sold them.

Jason

I think that may have been before the present owner took over Coopercraft.

Ray.

5 hours ago, Marshall5 said:

I think that may have been before the present owner took over Coopercraft.

Ray.

I think it was when the stocks ran down that the problems happened. Possibly all stuff from when C&L had the tools.

Some shops still have the page on their website. Probably in hope more than anything.

https://www.osbornsmodels.com/coopercraft-kits-228-c.asp

https://www.modelscenerysupplies.co.uk/brands/cooper-craft-kits

Jason

• RMweb Gold
19 hours ago, Steamport Southport said:

Like a model shop you mean?

Cooper Craft kits were sold in many model shops, even the high street big boys like Modelzone and before that Beatties sold them. Unfortunately if the manufacturer can't supply then it doesn't matter who processes the orders as we still aren't getting them.

Jason

No, not like a model shop in the conventional sense. The overheads of running a shop mean that the retailer has to put too high a profit margin on the items to the viable as a business model for a lot of these products.

What I am suggesting is that someone with, say, a redundant barn in their back garden, should hold stock on behalf of the artisan producers and process orders to send out. Effectively a mini-Amazon.

There are, as I see it, two benefits to this:

1) The manufacturer can get on with what he does best - making stuff - without all the interruptions and distractions of running a website, answering the phone, wrapping up parcels, etc.

2) The customer gets a "one-stop-shop" so only needs to place one order and pay one lot of postage charges.

As and when I can give up my current business, I would happily run something like this as a retirement project.

• Like 2