Winkford Green.. a small Light Railway layout..

Well, you have made some great progress with this little layout.... and in very quick time too. Puts some of us to shame! ;)
I like the look of this layout. It definitely has an air of Col Stephens about it

The Fascia / Frame / Proscenium Arch (As Iain Rice calls it) definitely makes the whole thing look neater and more "presentable"
Looking good mogtrains

Let there be light!

I've cut, soldered and added LED strips on the rear of the fascia now.. 

Not a true finished picture, as it's sitting under the 'Greenville' shelf at the moment and that's casting a shadow.. but gives me a fair indication :-) need to get back to the scenics and some jobs on the stock soon!

Thanks for all the positive comments so far :-)

IMG_20190409_220401107.jpg

• Like 14
  • Craftsmanship/clever 4

On 08/04/2019 at 17:30, long island jack said:

Looking good Martin, hoping to get down in June for Nick's show, will see it in the flesh!!!

Cheers Ray.. be good to see you there.

This is only being built because Nick asked me at our last modular meet in January if I'd like to bring something.. stupidly I picked a subject for which I had no layout and no stock! Nothing like a deadline eh? ;-)

• Like 1

Mog, 

Wow! You have made rapid progress and the layout looks absolutely superb. You have captured that rural light railway atmosphere perfectly.  I am really impressed with how this has developed and the fascia and presentation is first class. Super stuff! 

David

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Some testing underway today.. making notes of the little fettles that need doing.. (interesting comparing the different running qualities of the locos.. the Hornby Peckett is brilliant, the Terrier is a little more hesitant (need to have a look at the pickups). The coach is an old Triang clerestory picked up cheap on ebay.. stuck Kadees on but that's it so far.

Wishing I hadn't designed this to be operated from the rear, but haven't worked out how I can change that yet. (one job this evening has to mackle up a 'blind' to stop me being dazzled by the LED strips on the rear of the fascia!

Overall quite pleased but it does feel odd after spending the last weekend playing with US HO stuff..

IMG_20190419_203000938.jpg

IMG_20190419_203122672.jpg

IMG_20190419_203921049.jpg

• Like 17

• RMweb Premium

This is a wonderful model of a light railway station - a good track plan well executed in my book.  The photos look lovely, the kind of model I hope it will be a joy to exhibit and share with others.  Could I just ask about the origins of the station building - I looked back over the thread but didn't spot a reference to it's source?  I did however notice how quickly this has come together: two months - wow!  Thanks, Keith.

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

On 20/04/2019 at 18:08, Keith Addenbrooke said:

This is a wonderful model of a light railway station - a good track plan well executed in my book.  The photos look lovely, the kind of model I hope it will be a joy to exhibit and share with others.  Could I just ask about the origins of the station building - I looked back over the thread but didn't spot a reference to it's source?  I did however notice how quickly this has come together: two months - wow!  Thanks, Keith.

Thanks Keith.. the station building was rescued from a OO9 layout I built a few years ago (along with the goods shed and signal cabin).. that layout was called 'Winkford'. I think the building was a Wills kit.. but honestly I can't be sure as I've had it a while.

33.JPG

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, mogtrains said:

Thanks Keith.. the station building was rescued from a OO9 layout I built a few years ago (along with the goods shed and signal cabin).. that layout was called 'Winkford'. I think the building was a Wills kit.. but honestly I can't be sure as I've had it a while.

33.JPG

18 hours ago, mogtrains said:

33.JPG

On 20/04/2019 at 18:08, Keith Addenbrooke said:

Looks like the Wills station kit to me. 

• 1 month later...

Well..Winkford Green had it's outing on Saturday. Despite some nerves about how it would go, the layout ran fine all day.. the only real issues I had were around the Kadees and the magnets, and they were minor and to be expected as I'd not had the time to really run things and set up the couplings.

Nice to meet and chat to people and very nice to get some positive comments and encouragement too. (always interesting to receive some unsolicited 'advice' too!)

As to what's next.. I had a couple of invitations.. but as I suspected, I don't think exhibiting is really my thing.. so I either do some work to convert the layout for home use, or more likely, I'm looking to pass it on to someone who might like to take it on (for reasonable recompense of course!) or I'll end up breaking it up and salvaging bits for the next one!

If anyone is interested in the layout, drop me a line :-)

62049804_2042197276074598_3162734721872429056_n.jpg

IMG_20190608_091147249.jpg

62021787_2358243967722851_7087659146161422336_n.jpg

IMG_20190608_114916707.jpg

IMG_20190608_095304684.jpg

IMG_20190608_112324980.jpg

• Like 15

• RMweb Gold

Hi,

The layout looks fantastic and I can only echo others comments.

I've built a few layouts and had the 'next one' bug - and on at least one occasion moved a layout on too soon. Have a good think before you do.

But we all have space and money restraints!

Thanks for sharing the build.

All the best,

James

• Thanks 1

I've followed your blogs over the years and this is up with the others! Nice little layout.

Stu

P.S. What happened to Ulthwaite - does it still exist?

4 hours ago, eastworld said:

I've followed your blogs over the years and this is up with the others! Nice little layout.

Stu

P.S. What happened to Ulthwaite - does it still exist?

Thanks Stu.. wow, Ulthwaite is going back a bit! It's not in my possession any more, but it was passed on to someone in one piece, so maybe somewhere out there... ;-)