EG Steele Wagon Services - Earnock Sidings

Dungrange

I'm looking at the idea of modelling a wagon repair facility and wonder if EG Steele's facilities at Earnock Sidings, Hamilton is still operational.  If so, how often are wagons moved to and from this site and is it an irregular trip working from Mossend or do they come from elsewhere?  If not, when did it close?

EG Steele appear to have a website (http://egsteele.com/wagon-services/) but it's not particularly informative and I'm not sure how up to date it is.  I also looked through a week's worth of data on the Realtime trains website, and couldn't see any path in the Working Time Table that looked as though there was a regular service to the works.  That makes me wonder whether the site sees much activity.

If anyone can point me in the direction of any information regarding the operation of this facility that would be great.  In particular, I'm interested in whether there is / was a shunter here or whether wagons were moved around by hand or were shunted by the train engine?  I'm also not sure what the demarcation is between the works and what would be exchange sidings.  The period that I'm interested in is the early 21st Century.

The facilities to which I am referring can be seen in this areal photograph on Google Maps -https://www.google.com/maps/@55.7824031,-4.0622793,122a,35y,165.66h,40.92t/data=!3m1!1e3

Gordon,

According to the company website linked to above, the business includes "the servicing and maintenance of rail fleets, hire of wagons and the supply of Trackmobile road/rail vehicles". It also states that "the Company strives to provide a quick turn round in maintenance and modifications conducted in one of our 3 covered workshops. On-site repairs are easily catered for by our mobile squads which can cover the whole of the UK, each carrying a wide selection of spare parts and brake testing equipment".

I'm assuming that the three covered workshops referred to are the three rail lines that enter the building in Hamilton.  However, it is possible that more of their work is now undertaken 'on site' using their mobile squads rather than rail vehicles having to be brought to their premises.  Perhaps the onsite work is now largely limited to modifications rather than simple repairs which can be done by a man and a van.

Interestingly, looking at other photographs on Flickr following Simon's post above, it looks as though Colas may be or have been the only recent suppliers of motive power to Earnock sidings.  However, at least I now know that the train engine seems to shunt the wagons into E G Steele's premises, although it looks as though they probably use one of their Trackmobile units for on site shunting.

• 1 month later...
2 hours ago, 31A said:

I happened to notice that there was a train from Doncaster to this place yesterday; seems to have been a light engine but I couldn't find anything working away again from there yesterday:

It was 66743 and 66746 to collect the Royal Scotsman set, which left this morning for Edinburgh to begin its first tour of the year.

1 hour ago, 31A said:

Thank you; is that where the Royal Scotsman set is kept, then?

It has previously been kept at Craigentinny during the operating season but that is now a Hitachi-owned depot. Remains to be seen if Hamilton is this year's base but it had been there for a month after arriving from winter servicing at Eastleigh.

• Thanks 1

• 1 year later...

Sorry to resurrect this thread after over a year (not sure if you're still looking into this?). However, I thought I'd jump in with some updated info for anyone interested in the E.G. Steele site and wants to base any projects on it. I live local to the site and tend to stop by for a look when getting petrol (I see one of my images was linked by Simon).

The site is still extremely quiet in terms of inbound workings. However, the Royal Scotsman is a regular as I believe it is now the Scottish maintenance base. There are WTT paths under Hamilton Gbrf that are used most weeks - including today: https://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/search/detailed/HAMLGBR/2020-08-29/0000-2359?stp=WVS&show=all&order=wtt

I'm not aware of any wagon movements to the yard since the JPA wagons stopped going there for pressure testing. Colas previously sent 70's up for exams however clearance issues within the sheds put and end to that.

They look to have acquired an industrial shunting locomotive which was sat in the yard today which is presumably now used for internal shunting. I did get a head-on image today that I've attached to this reply - couldn't get a better angle than the one attached unfortunately.

As I mentioned I'm local to the yard so if anyone wants me to grap pics of anything let me know. I should also be able to give some example images of how the Royal Scotsman stock is stabled and shunted upon arrival.

UID_shunter.jpg

1 minute ago, ScottDarg said:

Sorry to resurrect this thread after over a year (not sure if you're still looking into this?). However, I thought I'd jump in with some updated info for anyone interested in the E.G. Steele site and wants to base any projects on it. I live local to the site and tend to stop by for a look when getting petrol (I see one of my images was linked by Simon).

The site is still extremely quiet in terms of inbound workings. However, the Royal Scotsman is a regular as I believe it is now the Scottish maintenance base. There are WTT paths under Hamilton Gbrf that are used most weeks - including today: https://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/search/detailed/HAMLGBR/2020-08-29/0000-2359?stp=WVS&show=all&order=wtt

I'm not aware of any wagon movements to the yard since the JPA wagons stopped going there for pressure testing. Colas previously sent 70's up for exams however clearance issues within the sheds put and end to that.

They look to have acquired an industrial shunting locomotive which was sat in the yard today which is presumably now used for internal shunting. I did get a head-on image today that I've attached to this reply - couldn't get a better angle than the one attached unfortunately.

As I mentioned I'm local to the yard so if anyone wants me to grap pics of anything let me know. I should also be able to give some example images of how the Royal Scotsman stock is stabled and shunted upon arrival.

UID_shunter.jpg

Looks as though someone got carried away doing the pressure-testing of that tank wagon; I wonder where the rest is?

Just now, Fat Controller said:

Looks as though someone got carried away doing the pressure-testing of that tank wagon; I wonder where the rest is?

Think that might be a PCA wagon based on the underframe, though where it came from and when it arrived I don't know. Certainly wasn't included in the last round of pressure testing as that was exclusively the larger JPA wagons as far as I know.

That wagon caught someone else's attention on the Freightmaster forum, so hopefully some context is given.

6 hours ago, ScottDarg said:

Sorry to resurrect this thread after over a year (not sure if you're still looking into this?).

Scott - welcome to RMWeb. 

As the person who started this thread I think I've concluded that the site doesn't see much use as a wagon maintenance location any more, but that doesn't mean that I've entirely given up on a wagon repair works as a rail connected industry.  The layout I'm building (albeit the baseboards aren't finished yet let alone the track laying) has space for something connected to my up line which I think can comprise about four sidings (two in the open and two in a large shed) with a separate head shunt and something like Earnock sidings was an idea for that space, although I'm now tending towards a distribution warehouse for van or steel traffic.  However, I'm still interested in knowing more about the site as general interest and because a wagon repair works presents the opportunity to operate a larger variety of wagons.

However, the Royal Scotsman is a regular as I believe it is now the Scottish maintenance base. There are WTT paths under Hamilton Gbrf that are used most weeks - including today: https://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/search/detailed/HAMLGBR/2020-08-29/0000-2359?stp=WVS&show=all&order=wtt

The location title 'Hamilton GBRf' implies that the site is now exclusively for GBRf use, so I'm guessing that the maintenance of the Royal Scotsman coaches is potentially all that is done here now.  Looking at the Realtime Trains link, it appears that there is a path for what I assume is a light engine movement from Mossend to Earnock sidings / Hamilton GBRf followed by what I assume is an empty coaching stock movement on towards Edinburgh, with reverse paths for returning the coaching stock to Hamilton and then running light engine back to Mossend. 

UID_shunter.jpg

It's interesting that a local shunter now works the site - presumably that it more efficient for shunting the coaching stock than the small tractor type thing that was used in the past, which is possibly a reflection of increased frequency of movement.  It at least gives me an excuse to have a shunter for my own facility (even although I'll probably be using a Heljan 07) rather than whatever type that is.

• Like 1

There was an article in Rail Express a few years ago about this place not sure which issue , will see if I can find it , some of the wagons here were the ex nitric acid TTA wagons that are painted blue , MODA army wagons , Alcan PCA I think amongst others I cannot remember , will see what I can find 

• 7 months later...

I noticed a Class 66 and several Mk3 coaches (Chiltern and Anglia livery) pass Hamilton Central just after 10.00 hrs yesterday, 21/4/21. Later the same day, while travelling to the Covid vaccination centre at Whitehill, Hamilton, I noticed said coaches ‘parked’ at the wagon works.

4 minutes ago, 44Alastair said:

I noticed a Class 66 and several Mk3 coaches (Chiltern and Anglia livery) pass Hamilton Central just after 10.00 hrs yesterday, 21/4/21. Later the same day, while travelling to the Covid vaccination centre at Whitehill, Hamilton, I noticed said coaches ‘parked’ at the wagon works.

12 in total to be stripped & scrapped to yield parts (incl bogies) for the Grand Hibernian set being regained from Ireland for use in EU by all accounts

• Informative/Useful 1

I live locally and believe the yard is still owned by EG Steele but they do not do any mainline work now (Im friendly with one of the guys that work there).

A company called Assenta Rail operate the shed and sidings now and the yard is actually registered as Hamilton LMD by Assenta on the ORR webiste. 

A few months ago they had some Scotrail 156's in for repair, brought in by road and dispatched by Rail. Also on Google earth with some pics too of Boness MK1 stock!

Really interesting to see what's happening with the site as I'm REALLY interested in trains and there is some exciting stuff coming and going! :sungum:

• Like 1

• 8 months later...
On 23/08/2020 at 22:51, bazjones1711 said:

There was an article in Rail Express a few years ago about this place not sure which issue , will see if I can find it , some of the wagons here were the ex nitric acid TTA wagons that are painted blue , MODA army wagons , Alcan PCA I think amongst others I cannot remember , will see what I can find 

I was browsing this category for wagon works ideas and have been fascinated by this thread. It has been a while since the above was posted regarding Rail Express magazine. If it still helps, a little online digging around indicates Rail Express for February 1998 had, under “Contents Listing - Traction & Rolling Stock - World of Wagons,” the article “EG Steel celebrates 50 years in business.” 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1