Peco OO9 turnout and wagon questions

james nichols

Hello everyone, 

Wanting to start OO9 in Oklahoma so no chance of looking at anything in a shop, will have to order everything. 

My questions are, the Peco turnouts, are the points sprung so they stay in place if moved or do they need some kind of mech to hold the points in place. 

For electro-frog, is the frog powered through the points or do they need switched power through a spdt switch. 

Lastly, does anyone have exterior dimensions for the Peco 4 wheel wagons.  Both the low board open wagons and the closed box wagons. 

Thanks in advance, 

James

Sorry I can't help on the wagons, but on the points, yes Peco do have an over-centre spring to hold the blades in each direction. The frog is powered through the switch blades though a lot of people add wires and a switch too as in time the blade contact can be compromised by dirt (or track weathering/ballasting!). New and shiny from the box it should work fine though without any extras.

• RMweb Gold

You may find the Hattons site useful for orders and dimensions as they usually put a ruler in one photo 

https://www.hattons.co.uk/62392/Peco_Products_GR_200B_4_wheel_open_wagon_10_in_Lynton_Barnstaple_grey/StockDetail.aspx

I'll measure them up when I get home. ;)

Plans for the 12” and 18” points can be found in this list. 

https://peco-uk.com/collections/turn-out-crossing-plans

• RMweb Gold

Bear in mind the L&B stock wasn't the widest on two foot if you use these as your datum. Particulary if you use kits from 2ft 6in lines like the Welshpool & Llanfair or Vale of Rheidol alongside them. 

Peco L&B Open wagon

Over coupling hooks 55.6mm

body length 42.4mm

body width 21.4mm

height (from rail) 20mm

Van

Over coupling hooks 55.6mm

body length 42.4mm

body width 21.4mm

height (from rail) 32mm

Edited by PaulRhB

Thanks guys, makes things much easier knowing dimensions and attributes before hand.  I found a Liliput locomotive and passenger set at a local train show but I think the Peco freight cars will be easier to source over here, I know the track will be.  

Thank you again for taking the time to answer so quickly.

Hi James.

I'm in NC, and just a FWIW, if you have been shopping for Peco track here in the US. It is much less $$ to order from the UK, such as Hatton's. I've compared pricing from Hatton's, Model Railway Imports in Canada, and my fav dealer for prices when I was doing US model rail, Blue Ridge Hobbies.

As example, for a box (25 count) of Peco SL-404 Mainline flex track, per piece cost is $4.77, MRI is $6.21 and BRH is $6.36. That is US prices, converted from £ for Hatton's and Can $ for MRI. I do forget if I took off the VAT from the Hatton's price, however, so it may even be less. Turnouts are priced comparably, IF you can get them over here.

Of course, this is all moot, if you plan to use N scale track :)

I'll be ordering a box of flex track in the near future, though I don't have need for that many pieces, if you are interested in some.

Jim F

• 2 weeks later...

So, new question.  I have 3D printed a couple of wagons and have designed some chassis that I think will fit under the wagons.  To get the correct "sit" of the wagons I need to have the dimensions of the wheels used.  Can anyone tell me the diameter of a Peco OO9 wheel measured across the tread?  I currently have some 36" N-scale wheels I am going to use but they seem a little small.  The diameter of the tread is 5.2 mm.  

I can't tell if these are horribly undersized for what I need or if my old days in On30 are throwing my eye off.  

The Peco wheels are 6.2mm dia. but don't forget they're primarily N gauge wheels, representing the standard UK wagon sized wheel (37.5" in 1:148 scale). Some of the smaller Parkside Dundas wagon kits (like skips and slate wagons) have smaller wheels, 5.1mm or 5.5mm.

Edited by BernardTPM