DEMU Showcase 2019

lyneux

• RMweb Gold
12 minutes ago, Marcoblanco said:

Is it better ventilation... 

It was still quite warm.  But you can pop in and out to get a breather.  Unless you are on a stand of course.

Great show again this year.  My satnav found it really well.  Free parking diagonally opposite outside the old council depot.

Quite a strong smell of wee on occasions, hope it wasn't me. :-)

• Like 1
  • Funny 2

What a great show - I had a really enjoyable day today, so huge thanks to all involved in putting on the event, particularly given the difficult circumstances leading to the change of venue.  I am so glad that I decided to make the effort and pop over.    For what it's worth, as a punter, I thought the venue worked well and was a big improvement upon the Town Hall in terms of space, light and temperature.  My only observation for the future, should you choose to use the same venue again, would be that a few hints on parking would have been welcome: however, a little google-fu last night gave my an idea of what to expect and I found safe, on-street parking easily and within a few minutes' walk, so no real drama. 

I saw some fabulous, inspirational modelling: my overall favourite was 'Parrot Hall' which, I thought, oozed real railway atmosphere ( - in a good way!) but in a manageable space;  and Hornsey Broadway was just staggering.  Add to that the welcome news of the forthcoming Cavalex KFA/PFB warflat and I went away a very happy bunny.

Thanks again - I hope that all the workers actually manage to find some time to enjoy the modelling.

Best wishes, Paul

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

Superb show, worth a visit tomorrow if you’ve not been today, all the exhibits were brilliant.

Superstar layout of the show for me was Hornsey Broadway - I had no idea about what this layout was until today and it just blows you away! Top work by Kier & gang - I didn’t think Wibdenshaw could be bettered until seeing this, and the multi-levels of running lines, paired with incredible everyday detail beyond the railway edge in the street scenes and depot areas, just mind blowing!

Roll on next year’s show! :good:

Cheers,

James

• Like 2
  • Agree 3

Just a quick note to say an excellent exhibition and that we have some of the painted samples of the next release of Dapol 08's on the MIOG display stand tomorrow so please come and take a look if you're interested.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Evening All,

Typing this on a north bound Pendolino enjoying a Brewdog IPA after a very enjoyable exhibition. I echo many of the comments re great layouts and inspirational modelling. Yes it was a bit hot at times but I found a few places to cool off. I did feel it was a little cramped at busy times but i wouldn’t have any real issues if it was in the same location next year. Well done to the organisers for finding the location at short notice. Parrot Hall and Dalnottar Riverside were the stars for me and I had some good discussions with Tim Horn, Accurascale and the guys from Mickleover MRC amongst others. 

PJ10

• Like 1

Excellent show with outstanding standards of modelling on show. 

Car parking was a breeze compared to the previous venue. The car park on the opposite corner of the roundabout was half empty all day. 

Sincere thanks to the organising team. 

Cant wait for next year!!  

• Agree 1

28 minutes ago, Nick G said:

Driving up in the morning what's the parking situation like please.

The car park next to the venue is a bit small, but there is a larger free car park just up the hill (5 mins walk)

image.png.5966677bcb089d7732b5fa1b695d5a9f.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, Nick G said:

Driving up in the morning what's the parking situation like please.

1327657186_CarParking.png.a74c330b38f7d6a3633a1487c95e4ebf.png

The one outside the Hall, or on the opposite side of the Roundabout ( Darklands Road) are probably the best, also 6 Disabled Bays in the Car Park  next to the Hall

Edited by Andrew P
add words
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Andrew P said:

The one outside the Hall, or on the opposite side of the Roundabout ( Darklands Road) are probably the best, also 6 Disabled in the Car Park  next to the Hall

Thanks Andy.

• RMweb Premium

There’s also street parking on the hilly roads just behind the venue - I parked in Stanhope Road which was perfect as no nearby cars to bang their doors into the side of your paintwork as with the normal car parks :)

Cheers

James

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
9 hours ago, James Makin said:

There’s also street parking on the hilly roads just behind the venue - I parked in Stanhope Road which was perfect as no nearby cars to bang their doors into the side of your paintwork as with the normal car parks :)

Cheers

James

I also parked in Stanhope - Very handy for carrying my Tim Horn baseboards back to the car 

• Like 2

A sincere thanks to the DEMU team for organising another successful show, and particularly for being consistently easy to work with (this does make a difference). All the more so given the enforced change of venue and the logistical and emotional headaches this no doubt caused. Putting on an event often takes a lot more effort than the casual visitor may realise and inevitably it will be impossible to please everybody all the time, but the quality of the event and its smooth running (from the Railtec perspective and numerous others I spoke to) is a testament to the amount of planning and managing of relationships that must have been invested. 

Typically the Sunday has been noticeably much quieter than the Saturday but that was not the case today, as the hall continued to be steadily busy for much of the day. In fact it was one of the best DEMU shows ever for Railtec, and from seeing people's purchases there were clearly some very good bargains to be had even late into the afternoon (brand new Bachmann Queen Mary brakes @ £12.50, for example). 

Hopefully any qualms around parking were put to bed thanks to some earlier helpful posts by others, and as for air temperature - it was not too dissimilar to Burton Town Hall. Remember afterall that this is June and it's a sports hall, so I would think a warm environment is to be reasonably expected. As far as I know there's no DEMU policy against mankinis.

Edited by railtec-models
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

If the venue was suitable but parking the main hindrance it might be worth considering a park and ride option ? If a decent free car park is not too far away how about extending the free bus service from the station ?  Pick up from station, drop off at venue, nip up to park and ride to pick up and drop back at venue then return to station ?  This would help those who aren't too mobile and would struggle with the five minute walk etc.

Just a thought. 

Full marks to the guys for forging ahead inspite of the difficulties rather than just cancelling

1 hour ago, railtec-models said:

A sincere thanks to the DEMU team for organising another successful show, and particularly for being consistently easy to work with (this does make a difference). All the more so given the enforced change of venue and the logistical and emotional headaches this no doubt caused. Putting on an event often takes a lot more effort than the casual visitor may realise and inevitably it will be impossible to please everybody all the time, but the quality of the event and its smooth running (from the Railtec perspective and numerous others I spoke to) is a testament to the amount of planning and managing of relationships that must have been invested. 

Typically the Sunday has been noticeably much quieter than the Saturday but that was not the case today, as the hall continued to be steadily busy for much of the day. In fact it was one of the best DEMU shows ever for Railtec, and from seeing people's purchases there were clearly some very good bargains to be had even late into the afternoon (brand new Bachmann Queen Mary brakes @ £12.50, for example). 

Hopefully any qualms around parking were put to bed thanks to some earlier helpful posts by others, and as for air temperature - it was not too dissimilar to Burton Town Hall. Remember afterall that this is June and it's a sports hall, so I would think a warm environment is to be reasonably expected. As far as I know there's no DEMU policy against mankinis.

It was noticeable that people were still turning up today at around 2pm. Numbers potentially higher than predicted too for the Sunday, which is good news. The team worked very hard to get a show that takes 12 months of hard work together in around 4 month, so should be congratulated on such a good show (though it appeared some traders were doing very little trade, but I think that is something more and more becoming a factor at shows in general as peoples available money in real terms has reduced over the years (along with price rises of course)). The shorter time to organise the show also had an impact on the ability to advertise this year, but the show felt pretty busy both days to me.

The layout selection this year was excellent, with a good selection across sectors of the d&e hobby and items to please most people with some layouts being entertaining and others inspiring and so on (not to say some were not both of course).

If there is no policy against mankinis then there should be!!

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, Mattc6911 said:

If the venue was suitable but parking the main hindrance it might be worth considering a park and ride option ? If a decent free car park is not too far away how about extending the free bus service from the station ?  Pick up from station, drop off at venue, nip up to park and ride to pick up and drop back at venue then return to station ?  This would help those who aren't too mobile and would struggle with the five minute walk etc.

Just a thought. 

Full marks to the guys for forging ahead inspite of the difficulties rather than just cancelling

We supplied a Free Vinage bus service today to supplement the normal bus service as this was every hour following posts that there was not a train station in Swadlincote and that th normal bus wouldkake 35 minutes.

The bus was timed to coincide with the arrival of trains to Burton Station.

First journey carried two pssengers

Senond journey carried 3 passengers

Third journey carried ONE passenger.

I will not bother to list the rest but you get the picture.........................................

There is an abundance of free parking on or within 300 yds of the venue something that was not available for quite a few years at Burton Town Hall.

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

Its a difficult one, if you DONT supply it you will get complaints, if you DO supply it, for what ever reason they don't use it. I use the one supplied for the Scotland show between Queen St and the venue and its always popular and every time I've been on it, full

• Agree 1

• Administrators

Excellent show. I spent the last hour of it grabbing pre-production models from stands and stuffing them in the photo booth. 

Updates are on the various threads, but I've also brought them together for a World of Railways story here: https://www.world-of-railways.co.uk/brm/reviews/revolution/news-new-pre-production-models-seen-at-demu-last-weekend-

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3