DEMU Showcase 2019

lyneux

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, railtec-models said:

. As far as I know there's no DEMU policy against mankinis.

I await your attire for the 2020 show.......

Thanks to Guy, Nobby and the rest of the team for organising the show  under "difficult" circumstances.

And thanks to those that stopped by my demo stand to mostly chat about my HTA-HRA conversion project.

Cheers,

Mick

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

Hello all,

I just wanted to say thanks to all involved in the organisation of the DEMU Showcase, and to all those who came and chatted to us over the weekend.

It was lots of fun, and the layouts were superb.

cheers

Ben A.

• Like 3
  • Agree 4

1 hour ago, Mattc6911 said:

If the venue was suitable but parking the main hindrance it might be worth considering a park and ride option ? If a decent free car park is not too far away how about extending the free bus service from the station ?  Pick up from station, drop off at venue, nip up to park and ride to pick up and drop back at venue then return to station ?  This would help those who aren't too mobile and would struggle with the five minute walk etc.

Just a thought. 

Full marks to the guys for forging ahead inspite of the difficulties rather than just cancelling

I did notice that the Car Park on the opposite side of the Roundabout was half empty most of the weekend.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Phil Parker said:

Excellent show. I spent the last hour of it grabbing pre-production models from stands and stuffing them in the photo booth. 

Updates are on the various threads, but I've also brought them together for a World of Railways story here: https://www.world-of-railways.co.uk/brm/reviews/revolution/news-new-pre-production-models-seen-at-demu-last-weekend-

Can you spot your deliberate mistake Phil in your world of railways post.

Hint: its with regard that odd looking item with a chimney at the end

• Funny 1

• RMweb Premium

Home after a long weekend stewarding at DEMU Showcase in Swadlincote, knackered.

Thanks to Guy  and John  for making the event possible. Thanks to all the other stewards, DEMU zone team, secondhand salesmen, demonstrators, traders and exhibitors for your company over the weekend. And thanks to those who turned up making it worthwhile hauling my ar$e over to Swadlincote.

I thought the venue was very good, so well done Phil for suggesting it when things looked very bleak.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

• Administrators
35 minutes ago, woodenhead said:

Hint: its with regard that odd looking item with a chimney at the end

Fixed. It's now the Revolution/Sonic Chuffy McChufface. :-P

At least someone looked. I'd hate to have done all that work for nothing!

• Funny 6

• RMweb Premium
10 hours ago, Andrew P said:

I did notice that the Car Park on the opposite side of the Roundabout was half empty most of the weekend.

Yes, I parked in there on Sunday at approx 10:30 and left at 14:30. There were 3 cars on arrival and 2 cars and the Bachmann van when I left.

• Like 1

On 01/06/2019 at 12:01, DRS Crewe On A Mission said:

Well what a week for new announcements. From what I know the following models have been announced:

Bachmann OO Gauge Class 45 Limited Editions

Heljan OO Gauge Class 45 (new tooling) 

Cavalex Exclusive to Rails BLA & BBA Steel Wagon Packs in OO Gauge 

Cavalex Exclusive to Trains4U MOD KFA & PFB Wagons in OO Gauge (DEMU announcement) 

RevoloutioN trains IPA Car Carriers (3 Variations) in OO Gauge (DEMU announcement) 

New figures by Modelu (DEMU announcement) 

Plus Accurascale were due to make another announcement today but I understand that this has been postponed slightly. 

Have to say we are really lucky to have quite a constant flow of new announcements recently. 

*This list may not be complete as I may have missed other announcements this week. 

Well done Heljan.

Cue mass offload of MODELZONE sealed 45's? :blink:

Ian

Edited by Crisis Rail

On ‎02‎/‎06‎/‎2019 at 21:23, Nobby (John) said:

We supplied a Free Vinage bus service today to supplement the normal bus service as this was every hour following posts that there was not a train station in Swadlincote and that th normal bus wouldkake 35 minutes.

The bus was timed to coincide with the arrival of trains to Burton Station.

First journey carried two pssengers

Senond journey carried 3 passengers

Third journey carried ONE passenger.

I will not bother to list the rest but you get the picture.........................................

There is an abundance of free parking on or within 300 yds of the venue something that was not available for quite a few years at Burton Town Hall.

As you were in Swadlincote and I was limited to going on Saturday and using the train I didn't go ;-( Nor did my son.

Abundant free parking is no good if you're forced to travel by train.

Ian_B

Edited by Ian_B

Well Ian it was a case of Swadlincote or no show being presented.

There was a frequent bus service to Swadlincote on Saturday and our own bus added to this on Sunday, with a bus stop right outside the door of the venue.

its your choice not to come, but many people did arrive by train/bus with no problem at all.

People i know came from the West Country and the North West by train with no problems

There's a good chance that we will be at the the venue next year as despite the change of venue, our numbers through the door held up very well with the busiest Sunday i have seen at a DEMU Showcase.

• Like 4
  • Friendly/supportive 3

6 minutes ago, Nobby (John) said:

There was a frequent bus service to Swadlincote on Saturday and our own bus added to this on Sunday, with a bus stop right outside the door of the venue.

its your choice not to come, but many people did arrive by train/bus with no problem at all.

People i know came from the West Country and the North West by train with no problems

There's a good chance that we will be at the the venue next year as despite the change of venue, our numbers through the door held up very well with the busiest Sunday i have seen at a DEMU Showcase.

Hopefully I'll have the car next year.

Ian_B

• Like 2

Thanks and well done to the organisers of DEMU 2019. I attended on Sunday with some fellow members of Market  Harborough MRG and we all agreed we’d had a very good day.

As a first timer at DEMU I’ve no way of comparing the Swadlincote venue with Buxton but I thought Swadlincote was very good. Parking was a bit tricky but once there the warmth of welcome more than  made up for any inconvenience  (little things like that make such a difference I think). Among my collection diesel traction is very much in the minority but I thought the quality of layouts was excellent, Hornsey Broadway being particularly impressive, and your show guide is superb! I came away having spent a bit more than planned as well, a sure sign of well chosen trade support I think. Well done all. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, PenrithBeacon said:

Perhaps Kelly has a different preference

When I saw 'mankini' I first thought of Morecambe and Wise, but they might not appeal to the younger generation.

After I did a search I came up with this https://www.amazon.co.uk/Rudolph-Reindeer-Christmas-Festive-Mankini/dp/B077B7PXQD/ref=sr_1_7?keywords=mankini&qid=1559724305&s=gateway&sr=8-7

Were blokes actually 'wearing' this sort of stuff at DEMU?

• RMweb Premium
23 minutes ago, PenrithBeacon said:

After I did a search I came up with this https://www.amazon.co.uk/Rudolph-Reindeer-Christmas-Festive-Mankini/dp/B077B7PXQD/ref=sr_1_7?keywords=mankini&qid=1559724305&s=gateway&sr=8-7

Were blokes actually 'wearing' this sort of stuff at DEMU?

Not quite everyone but all the exhibition team were and many of the committee were plus some traders.

Saturday was a quite hot day in most of the country and our venue with a lot of people in it became very hot.....but we have had the same problem with Burton town hall when the outside temperature reaches normal for summer.

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Clive Mortimore said:

Not quite everyone but all the exhibition team were and many of the committee were plus some traders.

I wore mine only in the privacy of my hotel room...……….

NOT.

• Like 1
  • Funny 4

• RMweb Gold

Hi everyone,

We really enjoyed our first trip to DEMU, and I would just to say a big thank you to Guy and the crew for looking after us and making us fell so welcome. Big thanks to Great Endon crew for giving our pp PFAs a run on their layout with appropriate traction! 

1536609232_PFALittleEndon.jpg.566ffd543da026d45eb7fbf01be138d5.jpg

It was great to meet so many of you finally and chat to as many people as possible. We got a tremendous amount of positive feedback so we must be doing something right! Apologies to those familiar faces I didn’t let to talk to (Mick was very busy on his demo stand all weekend!) I’m sure I’ll catch up with you all at a future show.

Finally, big thanks to Clive for signing for our cabinets! 

Roll on 2020!

Cheers,

Fran

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
On 04/06/2019 at 13:22, Ian_B said:

As you were in Swadlincote and I was limited to going on Saturday and using the train I didn't go ;-( Nor did my son.

Abundant free parking is no good if you're forced to travel by train.

Ian_B

On 04/06/2019 at 13:32, Nobby (John) said:

Funnily enough I had no problems travelling from Alicante, and I was forced to travel Ryanair.

An excellent show produced under stressful conditions, I know what a last minute change of venue does to you, well done to all.

Let's hope that the new exhibition manager, Clive, carries on in the same vein, or did I mis-understand that bit?!!

Mike.

• Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Enterprisingwestern said:

Let's hope that the new exhibition manager, Clive, carries on in the same vein, or did I mis-understand that bit?!!

Mike.

Well it appears from the above he managed to make an exhibition of himself in his Mankini :fie:  I might try and attend next year if he promises to cover up :laugh_mini:

• Funny 2